3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can you install a remote starter to the cummins???

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you install a remote starter to the cummins???

Just wondering if it is possible??? Do they have a remote start that will delay for the air to heat up before start?

Thanks for any info.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:45 PM
Banned

Yes they make them a buddy of mine had one on his 01. I want one for my truck as well but I heard they are super hard on the starter. As far as cost and who makes them I wouldnt have a clue.
Old 11-08-2007, 11:50 PM

I'snt any remote start thats "diesel engine compatible" have that feature?
Old 11-09-2007, 01:02 AM

Got one

I have used compustar on my 03 and 06 both cummins. Good product i'm happy with. Also has a turbo cool down mode which is handy, and yes does allow time for the "plugs" to warm up before it starts.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:21 AM

I had a autopage on my 99 best feature ever most are automatic trannny only with good reason the only downfall to the diesel feature is you set a wait time for the "glowplugs" mine was set at ten seconds kinda to long for hot starts and to short for cold starts. make sure they wire it to the tach switch because if they go buy voltage it doesnt work with the dodge alternator how it surges voltages on cold start up. hope this helps p.s. set your climate controls to where you want them when the truck starts
Old 11-09-2007, 06:17 AM

My truck had on one when I bought it (that I didn't know about). The wiring and control module was all there, but I never had the key fobs to work it. I found all this out when I pulled off the panel under the steering wheel. It looked like a rats nest of wires and junk under there. It made me sick, but i left it. A few weeks later the truck would not start, long story short they had to disconnect the remote starter to get it going again. As soon as I got it home I took my time and ripped out every wire, box, and connector that went to that stupid remote starter. It really cleaned up under my dash and made me feel better.

That being said my GF has one on her Jeep that works very nicely and is convenient. I'll just never buy one after my experience.
Old 11-09-2007, 06:27 AM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
I have one, too. It has a 10 second delay, but it is programmable for more. There are ones that hook to the WTS light, and when it goes out, they start.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:12 AM

How about some brand names and where a guy could pick one up or at least check out the cost.
thanks again for the replies
Old 11-09-2007, 07:14 AM

Had a shop just install an Autopage RS860 in mine. They couldn't get it to work. It would start, run for a sec, then stop, then restart and stay running. They had the truck for 2 days. Eventually they gave me my money back and took it out. However, they marked the dash up installing it, and they cut all sorts of wires. I've been finding them one by one. Makes me mad, but there's nothing you can do about it. This was a major auto stereo joint too. Pick a place that's been there forever, but even that won't be a garentee based on my experience. I can't bring myself to try another shop now.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CReed
I want one for my truck as well but I heard they are super hard on the starter.
Why would that be? They send a start signal to the starter just like someone turning the key would. It's not like they hold the starter engaged after it's started. I don't think our trucks will allow the starter to be engaged once it's running anyway.

Originally Posted by snowmanx
How about some brand names and where a guy could pick one up or at least check out the cost.
thanks again for the replies
DEI is the brand you want. They make/own most of the bigger alarm companies like Python, Viper, Clifford, Autostart, etc. As long as it's made by DEI you can't go wrong. Cost really depends on your installer and how many options you want (2-way paging, alarm, etc).
Old 11-09-2007, 07:25 AM

I have an alarm system with a remote / delayed start and turbo cool down feature on my '03. A local installer put it in and it had performed well for 3 years until I had a dealer fix the AC and something got messed up. Now everything works but my cruise control!

Believe it or not, Best Buy can install a Viper system that has everything you need. Cost is around $400 - 500 and is serviceable anywhere there is a Best Buy. A buddy of mine has it, loves it, and I am now looking to install the same system.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:36 AM

For reliability a remote start needs to be soldered in, BB uses scotch locks on everything and will at some point fail, gauranteed. Compustar works very well on autos or manual tranny's, no it wont start in gear.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:20 PM

I have the viper (DEI) sytem with the two-way communicating remote control. Works very well and also has the turbo cool down feature. You can get them online. But they are difficult to install. Mine three years ago cost around $450.00 installed.....
Old 11-09-2007, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mopar even makes one for the Cummins but I've heard that some of the aftermarket ones are better.