2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Wiring colour codes for remote starter

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2002, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wiring colour codes for remote starter

Good evening gentlemen. <br>Would any of you who have installed a remote starter on your truck happen to have the colour codes for the various wires involved under the dash? Mine is a 2002 and I am putting in a remote starter next weekend and it would sure make it a lot easier if I knew in advance which wires to look for. <br>I'm also putting in a &quot;high idle&quot; box and I think I have a way to tie the two together. I'll let you know if it works out. <br>Thankx<br>Ruadh
Old 11-05-2002, 05:28 PM
Banned

Re:Wiring colour codes for remote starter

Where did you get the remote starter? I've been looking for one.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:50 PM

Ruadh<br><br>Bought one for my wife for Christmas a couple of years ago. Forget who made it, but logged onto their website and they had a support section secifically for this purpose. Enter your year, make, model and options and it listed all of the color codes and on which connector to find them. Try it for whoever makes your unit, they may have something similar. I paid $60 Canadian for that unit at Walmart, so I would guess if they deliver that kind of support, a higher end manufacturer would at least match it.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:08 PM

A local company installs these for under $500 Canadian<br><br>www.ultrastarters.com/index2.html
Old 11-05-2002, 06:29 PM

Ruadh, I think I got this for you. The wires color are directly from the connectors up by the ignition switch.

There's a 4 position, and a 7 position connector.

4 Position:
1 22 ga Black/Orn - Ground
or depending on options
1 22 ga - Tan Driver Door Ajar sense switch
2 22 ga Lt. Blu - Key in Ignition switch sense
3 empty
4 empty

7 Position:
1 14 ga Yellow - Ignition Switch Output (Start)
2 12 ga Dk. Blu - Ignition Switch Output (Run-Start)
3 blank
4 14 ga Pink/Black - Fused B+ (12V)
5 14 ga Black/Orn - Ignition Switch Output (Run)
6 12 ga Black/Wt - Ignition Switch Output (Run-Acc)
7 10 ga Red - Fused B+ (12V)

Hope this helps you out.

-Tom-
Old 11-05-2002, 08:49 PM

[quote author=BigBlue link=board=5;threadid=6624;start=0#62531 date=1036538931]<br>Where did you get the remote starter? I've been looking for one.<br>[/quote]<br><br>I live in Edmonton, Alberta and I bought it at a place called Dash Distributers. $139 CDN for the Ultrastart 2250M. It is an alarm and remote combined.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:51 PM

[quote author=Workin Man link=board=5;threadid=6624;start=0#62548 date=1036540204]<br>Ruadh<br><br>Bought one for my wife for Christmas a couple of years ago. Forget who made it, but logged onto their website and they had a support section secifically for this purpose. Enter your year, make, model and options and it listed all of the color codes and on which connector to find them. Try it for whoever makes your unit, they may have something similar. I paid $60 Canadian for that unit at Walmart, so I would guess if they deliver that kind of support, a higher end manufacturer would at least match it.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Thankx Workin Man. I tried the Ultrastart website and couldn't find anything specific to the Cummins and Dodge.<br><br>Ruadh
Old 11-05-2002, 08:54 PM

[quote author=SirLAL link=board=5;threadid=6624;start=0#62555 date=1036541284]<br>A local company installs these for under $500 Canadian<br><br>www.ultrastarters.com/index2.html <br>[/quote]<br><br>Thankx SirLAL<br><br>I paid $139 CDN for the Ultrastart 2250M and my son will install it for me. He's done several and he's an electronic tech so I'll be OK.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:01 PM

[quote author=Commatoze link=board=5;threadid=6624;start=0#62572 date=1036542579]<br>Ruadh, I think I got this for you. The wires color are directly from the connectors up by the ignition switch.<br><br>There's a 4 position, and a 7 position connector.<br><br>4 Position:<br>1 22 ga Black/Orn - Ground<br>or depending on options<br>1 22 ga - Tan Driver Door Ajar sense switch<br>2 22 ga Lt. Blu - Key in Ignition switch sense<br>3 empty<br>4 empty<br><br>7 Position:<br>1 14 ga Yellow - Ignition Switch Output (Start)<br>2 12 ga Dk. Blu - Ignition Switch Output (Run-Start)<br>3 blank<br>4 14 ga Pink/Black - Fused B+ (12V)<br>5 14 ga Black/Orn - Ignition Switch Output (Run)<br>6 12 ga Black/Wt - Ignition Switch Output (Run-Acc)<br>7 10 ga Red - Fused B+ (12V)<br><br>Hope this helps you out.<br><br>-Tom-<br>[/quote]<br><br>Thank you very much Tom. <br>This will help a great deal. You don't happen to know the colour of the wire for the &quot;Wait to start&quot; light, do you? My son uses a lot of timers on his alarm systems and I'm going to use one to energize the &quot;high idle&quot; circuit after about 3 minutes. That way the engine can get oil pressure before it idles up and save the push rods.<br><br>Ruadh<br><br><br>
Old 11-06-2002, 12:12 AM

I had a lady ask me to put one in her husbands truck (as I'm an electrician) for x mas one year and B4 I opened the box I asked her if mit was a standard or auto tranny and she told me that it was a standard which you can't do in a standard!<br> Hope you don't wake up early cuz your neighbours won't like the noise!
Old 11-06-2002, 06:05 AM

Ruadh, I will check this evening when I get home from work and post it for you. That will be easy to find.
Old 11-06-2002, 07:00 AM

there is a site with a forum and all install diagrams its <br>http://www.the12volt.com <br>just sign up and u can post and ask what you like used it a bunch of times. Make sure when you get into your truck you know that you need a tach signal to run the remote start and its a darn b*tch to find with no coil!
Old 11-06-2002, 07:07 PM

Ruadh, the &quot;Wait To Start&quot; wire is connected to connector C1, pin 8 of the instrument cluster. It's an 18 ga Orange wire with a Black stripe (ORN/BLK). It connects directly the the ECM connector, pin B37, so you can get to it from under the hood if deisred. Be careful because there's a Black wire with an Orange stripe on the cluster too (GND).

-Tom-
Old 11-07-2002, 08:33 PM

[quote author=yomitch link=board=5;threadid=6624;start=0#62757 date=1036563145]<br>I had a lady ask me to put one in her husbands truck (as I'm an electrician) for x mas one year and B4 I opened the box I asked her if mit was a standard or auto tranny and she told me that it was a standard which you can't do in a standard!<br> Hope you don't wake up early cuz your neighbours won't like the noise!<br>[/quote]<br>Thankx Yomitch<br>I park a ways away from the appt. so the noise isn't bad at all. I haven't had any complaints anyway. <br>As far as the std. tranny goes, this remote is made just for a std. and has an interlock with the emerg. brake. <br>I think it'll be fine.<br>Ruadh<br>
Old 11-07-2002, 08:44 PM

[quote author=Jamie Attridge link=board=5;threadid=6624;start=0#62813 date=1036587659]<br>there is a site with a forum and all install diagrams its <br>http://www.the12volt.com <br>just sign up and u can post and ask what you like used it a bunch of times. Make sure when you get into your truck you know that you need a tach signal to run the remote start and its a darn b*tch to find with no coil!<br>[/quote]<br><br>Thankx Jamie<br>That looks like a great site. My young fella will like it too. <br>Thankx again<br>Ruadh

Quick Reply: Wiring colour codes for remote starter