3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

ROUGH idle, white smoke on startup

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 02:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ROUGH idle, white smoke on startup

OK, I'm about to shoot the truck. Multiple injector issues from 40K on (before and after mods), including 4 injectors, new turbo, new engine; ended up being that the fuel issues were related to gunk in the tank (previous dealer service dept never checked rail, lines, tank, etc), found by another dealership that has a real diesel tech onboard. Once I thought everything was good again, installed a set of F2s, then they got gunked and ruined an injector body - Don M did the cleanup and rebuild on that for me. THEN, I started getting very rough idle on startup (shakes the whole truck), and white smoke for about 15 seconds. Rough idle smooths a lot after idle-up and warm up, but still idles much rougher than normal. But she runs great under throttle, no miss, no codes, 20psi to the CP3 - and no injector clatter, other than a slight increase in noise after long highway runs (150+ miles). Same issues with or without the J/A (either turned to stock or removed). EGTs are normal, no fuel in oil, boost is good. Tech reports the fuel flow balance, cylinder compression, and CP3 pressure is all very good. He updated the smoke/mileage flash, some improvement for about 500 miles, then back to idle and smoke problem came back. Been running 3 micron filtration on the FASS system, and the new 7 micron filter in the OEM canister.
I r stumped, and so is the tech. Any ideas that may help?
Old 11-04-2006, 06:00 PM

You would'nt happen to be running a fuel additive? MMO/PS maybe? Mine smoked like crazy and idled really rough when i started using it.

I quit and no more problems.

Rick
Old 11-04-2006, 08:56 PM

Actually, I do 16 oz PS/MMO at 4:1, or 12 oz of Lucas fuel treatment in every tank - never heard of it causing problems, though. Any ideas as to how this can cause problems? From all I've read, combined with my paranoia, I'm very leery of giving up the lubricity and cleaning propereties of an additive.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:09 AM

I think it's using it on every fillup that's the problem, the percentage becomes so high i causes cold combustion problems.

I quit using it and after a couple fill ups no more problems.

If i start using again it will be every other fill up and only PS or Lucas.

Rick
Old 11-05-2006, 10:24 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As the weather cools, the 04.5 through 06 engines have this problem. This complaint has been bouncing around the internet since they were released.

This is normal behavior for this particular engine.

Most of this is cylinder temp related, coupled to the 3 injection events that are spaced ( in time ) relatively far apart. The EPA regulations have forced the manufacturers to come up with methods of keeping the engines within guidelines. The newer 6.7 ltr engine will be much better in cold start conditions. 5 events and the ability to change the number of events depending on load.

Using the trucks block heater plugged in with temps under 60 degrees will minimize this start up smoke and rattle. There is also a reflash that was released to help the cool start smoke. You may already have it, but it is worth a mention.

I recall looking at those injectors last go round. Black yukkies all inside them. Algae.

Don~
Old 11-05-2006, 12:52 PM

Have a question for Don M. On the 03-04 engines how many holes are there in the tips compared to the 04.5-06 injectors. I had a injector in my hand but couldn't see or count the holes, old eyes.
Old 11-05-2006, 02:20 PM

Thanks, guys - I'll try holding back on the additive for a tank and see if it makes a difference.

Don M - I knew about the cold weather start issue, but didn't know that as low as 60 would make a difference - guess I just assumed that cold weather meant 40 or below, and living in SC, we haven't hit that yet. Would ambient temps below 60 make a difference at idle once the engine warms up as well? Reason I ask, is that after the last cleaning and install, that's when temps here dropped to that range consistently. I'll try plugging her in and give that a run as well. I hope it's that simple - I'm tired of going to the shop, and I know you and Tim are probably tired of my whining..... thanks to you both for your patience and customer service, too!
Old 11-05-2006, 03:14 PM

After i had the cold start relash done 2 years ago i have no smoke at startup even at 10-15 degf.

They only time i had smoke recently was with the PS/MMO, now no additive no smoke.

I don't even think of plugging mine in untill the temps get below 10 degf. for a good while and the truck is just sitting.

Plugging in up to 60 degf is nuts, if you have'nt had the cold start TSB done get it done and discontinue the MMO/PS and give it a try.

Rick