24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

New Lift Pump Or What???

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Lift Pump Or What???

I just finished installing my new ISSPRO EV fuel pressure gauge this afternoon. I ran it from the schraeder valve that is on the line below the injector pump as recommended by Geno's techs. I decide after reading the threads here NOT to use the issolator. No leaks and the setup looks almost factory. I can get pics and specs if anyone would like to see it later.

Here is the problem ... After installing the gauge and starting it up the gauge would only register around 4psi. When you hit the throttle it goes to 1 or even 0 but at idle is around 4.

I thought it might be a bad gauge so I had a friend (diesel mechanic) hook up a pressure tester after unhooking everything and it showed 4-5psi. So I pretty sure the gauge is good.

Does it look like I need to head to the dealer for a warranty lift pump replacement?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Old 01-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you go to the steel r ship they will put on the crappy intank pump and if you plan on ever upgrading your truck that will hurt you. Get the Vulcan big line kit with the LP relocation, then go to your local Cummins shop and get a Campaign pump. You need to take care of this now before you Kill your VP44. That's about $1200 if you do it yourself.
Old 01-14-2007, 07:57 PM

Never replace a broken part with the same thing!!!!! Say no to stock pumps!Do it right the 1st time and put a FASS on. Stay away from all the cheap fixes that work a few months and then fail again.
This is not the time to be cheap.

http://dieselpp.com/

get the FASS! not the pump only FASS II

Originally Posted by debolton
I just finished installing my new ISSPRO EV fuel pressure gauge this afternoon. I ran it from the schraeder valve that is on the line below the injector pump as recommended by Geno's techs. I decide after reading the threads here NOT to use the issolator. No leaks and the setup looks almost factory. I can get pics and specs if anyone would like to see it later.

Here is the problem ... After installing the gauge and starting it up the gauge would only register around 4psi. When you hit the throttle it goes to 1 or even 0 but at idle is around 4.

I thought it might be a bad gauge so I had a friend (diesel mechanic) hook up a pressure tester after unhooking everything and it showed 4-5psi. So I pretty sure the gauge is good.

Does it look like I need to head to the dealer for a warranty lift pump replacement?

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
debolton,
Congrats man, you just found a weak LP before it killed your VP-44. Do yourself (and your truck) another favor and install a FASS II LP and stop messing with stocker LP's.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:31 AM

My LP took a dump recently and I installed the Walbro pump with a big line kit (thanks Timnva)...I can't even move the needle now (ok a couple PSI) and all for about $475 (if you do the work yourself)...pretty cheap for peace of mind...
Old 01-15-2007, 10:02 AM

I,ll second the Walbro! There are slightly (key word) cheaper options, but IMO not worth it.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by swmnkdinthervr
My LP took a dump recently and I installed the Walbro pump with a big line kit (thanks Timnva)...I can't even move the needle now (ok a couple PSI) and all for about $475 (if you do the work yourself)...pretty cheap for peace of mind...

where can I get the Walbro pump and big line kit?
Old 01-16-2007, 09:09 PM

There are two places that sell the Walbro setups.
http://www.wideopendiesel.com
http://www.glacierdieselpower.com