Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

New Lift Pump and Injector Pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Lift Pump and Injector Pump

Hi All, hope everyone is having a great Labor Day!! I got the dreaded 0216 code, took it to the dealer, and they said that the fuel timing was "screwed" up, and that the lift pump was bad, as well as the injector pump. They replaced both with no questions asked, as it only has 75K miles. The question I have is it possible that the edge chip could be going bad and caused this???? I am a bit afraid to put it back on now that I have it back. I like the extra power, however I would rather not have to put a lift pump and injector pump on it myself after the 100K mile warranty. Any thoughts, any way to test the edge chip? I always thought that if the chip went bad, it would not work at all, the truck would not even start??? Any and all advice would be great!! Thanks!!!

John
Old 09-05-2005, 12:27 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My IP and LP went bad at 68,000 with NO chip, no mods of any kind actaully.

I would highly doubt that your chip had ANYTHING to do with the failures. If you really suspect the chip , I would say send it back to EDGE, from what I read they are very good with customer service.

Nice feeling to know your VP44 clock is started over for you again huh?
Old 09-05-2005, 02:03 PM
Banned

Speaking of the IP and the LP going bad together....I had my LP replace but not my IP. I hooked up my fuel gauge momentarily this weekend and got 15 PSI at idle off the bottom of the fuel canister. How do you know if your IP is bad and what will it take for the dealer to replace it before it goes out of warranty?
Old 09-05-2005, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by B.A.Ram
How do you know if your IP is bad and what will it take for the dealer to replace it before it goes out of warranty?
Only way to know is to be experiencing the symptoms.

Dead peddle, loss of power, bad idle, a "miss", or just dies completely with no warning.

Sometimes it throws codes before it starts dying, othertimes no codes are present.

Mine just started idling bad, usually first startup of the day, then on the highway it was fine, but once it dropped to idle coming down the offramp, it would almost die, chugging along, but it didn't do this all the time, sporadic, then more frequent.
No codes, and it took 3 trips to the Dealership for it to present the problem in their presence.

phox
Old 09-06-2005, 10:54 AM
Banned

Mine is starting to start funny on it's first start up of the day. It starts really quick, smokes a little more than usual, and idles funny for a bit and then acts fine after that...........wonder if mine is starting to kick the S**T??? 87K miles on it, maybe I should take it in and see if they will replace it??
Old 09-07-2005, 07:47 AM

Well the truck seems to be running fine thus far. How can I clear the codes in the odometer?? I don't believe the dealer did this when they fixed the fuel system. Also, I plan on putting on a fuel pressure gauge, from what little I know I am assuming I must get one with an isolator? Thanks for all the help!

John
Old 09-03-2006, 09:06 PM

When you say "Dead pedal", do you mean you can't press it?
Old 09-04-2006, 12:43 PM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by Dave88LX
When you say "Dead pedal", do you mean you can't press it?
It means when you press it, it is as if you are not pressing it at all, like as in idle.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:21 PM

man, it sure seems like i see alot of 01 trucks here that have had bad IP's. im not likeing this at all. is low F/P seem to be whats killing them all or is 01 just a bad year?
Old 09-05-2006, 03:24 PM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by dieseldodge
man, it sure seems like i see alot of 01 trucks here that have had bad IP's. im not likeing this at all. is low F/P seem to be whats killing them all or is 01 just a bad year?
99 was worse by most accounts.

The way I read it most of the failures are due to lack of f/p (dead LP)

On the other hand, some are purely electronic. Guys with good, steady pressure that just die one day for no known reason.
Old 09-05-2006, 03:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by P.J
99 was worse by most accounts.

The way I read it most of the failures are due to lack of f/p (dead LP)

On the other hand, some are purely electronic. Guys with good, steady pressure that just die one day for no known reason.
I'm getting pretty close to an official 200,000 miles on the original VP-44. I seem to remember a certain wager of $10,000, by P.J. that I would not make it to 200K. Well as soon as I post a pic of the OD that says 200K you better get your checkbook out.

IMHO VP-44's are killed by lack of FP, & no fuel additives. I have read about many VP's going over 200K. These are not gas engines, they need to be maintained, and understood how they function.

If you don't have a fuel pressure guage and replace the LP's when they are going bad how can you expect the IP to last?
Old 09-05-2006, 03:59 PM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by Geico266

IMHO
You have a humble opinion?

Are you only using that thing for Sunday drives or what?! I think you had 186K on it last year, right?

BTW, if it does die............ will you take some pictures of yourself on the side of the road?