HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Is a lift pump a lift pump?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2005, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is a lift pump a lift pump?

Is a 5.9 12 valve lift pump the same for every application? The Case/IH dealer has lift pumps for $105 but they said they dont know if it will apply to Dodge as they use the 5.9 in tractors. Can I buy this pump and have good use of it? Thanks in advance.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:51 PM

The best thing to do is to match them up or try to interchange the part numbers.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:15 PM
RCW

The Case-IH pump is a direct fit, it even has a Cummins part number.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:50 AM

Thanks for the input, will pick it up today!
Old 06-01-2020, 03:18 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Red face Check Lift Pump on Dodge Cummins

How to Check Lift Pump on Dodge Cummins

There are some general checking you should know about that are connected with the lift pump. The lift pump pumps the fuel by suctioning from the fuel tank, and then with the help of the injector, it transfers fuel to the engine block.

So, while checking the lift pump, you must check
  • The lift pump operating sound
  • Electric Connection
  • The fuel pressure
all these things are interrelated with the function of a fuel pump. So, let’s know how you can test them to test the lift pump.

Hear the Lift Pump Operating Sound

Check the Lift pump if it is working or not. When you start the engine, the lift pump makes some swishy sound. So, open your engine hood, and on the driver side of the engine, you will find the lift pump. In some vehicles, the lift pump lies underneath the car.
  • Insert the ignition key and turn on, don’t start the engine, and try to hear the sound.
  • The lift pump will be doing sound within 2 seconds of starting the ignition. And similarly, ask someone to shut that. The sound will be off after 2 seconds when you stop the ignition key.
  • Then, be sure your lift pump is working. The lift pump has no issues. The problem may be in other parts.
  • If you can’t hear any sound, then go for checking the electrical connection.

Check the Electric Connection

To check a lift pump, you can check the connection of the lift pump. If it is not getting the proper electric connection, then it can not be able to provide the exact pressure. As a result, your face the interruption in driving.

So, to check the connection follow these steps

Step-1: Find Your Lift Pump Connectors

Open your engine hood or go under the vehicle. On the bottom of the lift pump, you will see the power supplier connection tube.

Step-2: Disconnect the Connection Tube

Now, disconnect the connection tube from the lift pump. Then, identify the positive and negative connections. Generally, the second pin is for grounding connection.

Step-3: Connect to the Meter

Now, connect the tube with a meter. You can use any multimeter or voltmeter.

Step-4: Start the Ignition Key & Check

Now, start the ignition key, not the car. And check the meter.

If you see reading of 12V or more, that means the connection is ok—no problem in getting the electrical contact.

If you don’t see any reading on the meter, it means there is a problem in the fuse box, not in the lift pump.

If you don’t have any meter, then you can also do this test with any 12V source or bulb light if the bulb turns on, meaning no issues.

Check the Fuel Pressure

There is another test you can do if you have a hard start or the engine dies. Check your Dodge Cummins lift pump pressure. If the lift pump is causing the problem, then it can’t be able to give the proper pressure to the fuel injectors. To check it, you will need a fuel pressure gauge.

Step-1: Connect the Hose of the Pressure Gauge

Open your engine hood and open the fuel cap from the lift pump. And then, connect the hose of the pressure gauge to your lift pump.

While doing this step, you have to be very careful because the fuel is deep inside the other engine parts.

Step-2: Start the Engine & Check

Now, start your engine and check how much PSI pressure it can go. Generally, the correct pressure limit for any vehicle is from 30 to 50 PSI. If you see the pressure level below 30 or even 20 then, be sure the lift pump is having issues.

If you have a low fuel pressure then, don’t immediately go for replacement of your lift pump. Sometimes, it happens if there is water or air in your fuel rail, it causes a problem to the lift pump to pump the right pressure.

So, you should try draining the water or air from the fuel tank.
The following 2 users liked this post by Sumetul bhuian:
N. Besonderes (08-29-2023), posdodge (10-16-2022)
Old 08-29-2023, 11:11 AM

Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts
I'm so glad that I found this!
I, for one, welcome our new robot overlords and will definitely follow all of these completely sound and rational instructions. Especially the part where I'm supposed to hook my multimeter up to the connection tube??
The following users liked this post:
oliver foster (08-29-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 12:12 PM

can replace the bolts with studs to make future changes easier.
there was a period of a few years a while back when I could not get a lift pump that would last more than a year or two,
then finally got one that's now lasted maybe 8-10'ish years

next pump will prob be a airdog/fass type pump
Old 12-18-2023, 12:20 PM

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,572 Posts
Originally Posted by arroyojim
can replace the bolts with studs to make future changes easier.
there was a period of a few years a while back when I could not get a lift pump that would last more than a year or two,
then finally got one that's now lasted maybe 8-10'ish years

next pump will prob be a airdog/fass type pump
My Airdog LP was the least reliable LP I have ever owned. The motor went out literally every year.
Old 12-18-2023, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
My Airdog LP was the least reliable LP I have ever owned. The motor went out literally every year.
thanks, good to know.
will have to do some more research
Old 12-18-2023, 12:34 PM

I would never install a failure prone electric pump to replace a mechanical one.

I see the piston LPs that I would expect to see on your '97 last 20 + years.
Old 12-18-2023, 01:14 PM

I would never install a failure prone electric pump to replace a mechanical one.

I see the piston LPs that I would expect to see on your '97 last 20 + years.

I've not been so lucky... not sure who makes a good one but I've had to replace mine at least four times over only about 160k miles and am ready for another one again...
it is working but not getting enough fuel for full power at higher loads. My fueling is all just stock too.
Old 12-18-2023, 02:05 PM

I have had several p-pumped trucks I have owned that do not get enough fuel under higher revs, or heavier loads.
The problem I almost always find it is the over flow valve that is the problem. It is not commonly replaced and is a item that wears out.

Find the small section of rubber hose on the fuel return line. It is roughly behind the fuel filter. Put a small vice grip on it to restrict the return fuel flow. Test the truck. Then order and replace the OFV as I am guessing that is the actual problem.

DO NOT leave the Vice Grip on the return line any longer than needed to diagnose the problem.

The following users liked this post:
nothingbutdarts (12-19-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 02:25 PM

I have had several p-pumped trucks I have owned that do not get enough fuel under higher revs, or heavier loads.
The problem I almost always find it is the over flow valve that is the problem. It is not commonly replaced and is a item that wears out.

Find the small section of rubber hose on the fuel return line. It is roughly behind the fuel filter. Put a small vice grip on it to restrict the return fuel flow. Test the truck. Then order and replace the OFV as I am guessing that is the actual problem.

DO NOT leave the Vice Grip on the return line any longer than needed to diagnose the problem.

already replaced OFV with an adjustable Tork Tech, but maybe needs adjusting... Have a fuel pressure gauge but haven't installed it yet cause still maybe thinking of going with a FASS, but yeah, I expect the stock mechanical is a safer bet

Looks like there's a Delphi HFP916 available with a Lifetime warranty. that may be the ticket
Old 12-18-2023, 02:35 PM

Does the truck sputter and white smoke when you rev the motor to 2800 in N?

If you say yes, I am going to say check that OFV. The trick with the Vice Grip I just mentioned will tell you if the OFV is not holding enough pressure. Easy enough to test and if you own a small vice grip already it is free.

If that doesn't help. then installing even a cheap, temporary fuel pressure gauge is the next step in diagnosing this.

I would not install a electric fuel pump on any of my 12V trucks even if the company paid ME to use their product.