1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

White/Blue smoke need help please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White/Blue smoke need help please.

My 92 d250 has been smoking white/blue, and exhaust starts popping once you start to get on it. Its a stock truck, Has 232,761 miles. Did a recent oil, and fuel filter change. What things should I be checking? I'm thinking that it could be a fuel sending issue, but I did recently find out that the previous owner did not use the truck as frequently as he had said. The truck had sat for awhile without being driven. Was hoping it was just bad old fuel, instead of an injector or piston ring issue. Need some help any advice would be great.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:15 PM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
Could be a bad injector(s)? But blue/white is usually air getting into the system.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
Could be a bad injector(s)? But blue/white is usually air getting into the system.
right thats what I was thinking but was wondering if the lift pump or injection pump could be an issue.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:09 PM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
Popping and smoking white when "getting on it" is a sign of starving for fuel.
I would think fuel/air leak in the lines/connections, or a bad lift pump.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:14 PM
DTR Mom

yuup, sticky lift pump when it performs (bucks) with the more demand for fuel. first thing I would do it hit it with the chemical cleaner at idle, play first range well. if no change, got to start the pressure testing then....then take money off the tree.....hoo boy.

diesel basics: white (air problem) black (fuel problem) Blue (off timing)
grey(crack/water/vapor)

purple smoke means Pind worked on it.........
Old 10-10-2014, 11:24 PM

[QUOTE=oliver foster;3254237]Popping and smoking white when "getting on it" is a sign of starving for fuel.
I would think fuel/air leak in the lines/connections, or a bad lift pump

Ok makes sense but it's not just thick white smoke it had a bluish color to it as well. I can't see physically any leaks in any of the lines. Best way to test the lines? Or should I just go ahead any replace them anyways. Also how do I test the lift pump?
Old 10-10-2014, 11:31 PM

[QUOTE=oliver foster;3254237]Popping and smoking white when "getting on it" is a sign of starving for fuel.
I would think fuel/air leak in the lines/connections, or a bad lift pump

Ok makes sense but it's not just thick white smoke it had a bluish color to it as well. I can't see physically any leaks in any of the lines. Best way to test the lines? Or should I just go ahead any replace them anyways. Also how do I test the lift pump?
Old 10-10-2014, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Justwannabeme
yuup, sticky lift pump when it performs (bucks) with the more demand for fuel. first thing I would do it hit it with the chemical cleaner at idle, play first range well. if no change, got to start the pressure testing then....then take money off the tree.....hoo boy.

diesel basics: white (air problem) black (fuel problem) Blue (off timing)
grey(crack/water/vapor)

purple smoke means Pind worked on it.........

Pressure testing the lift pump? So I guess from what you and Oliver are saying I don't
have to worry about it being an injector, or injection pump issue?
Old 10-11-2014, 08:10 AM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
No worry about the more likely, cheaper problems first.

Get a fuel pressure gauge hooked up after the lift pump, start the truck up, once it is warm, rev it up and check the fuel pressure.
I bet when it is sputtering and smoking the pressure is low or 0.

If so then change lift pump.

If you have lots of fuel pressure, than start looking for air sucking in on the fuel line between the lift pump and the tank.
Old 10-11-2014, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blue smoke also can mean burning engine oil. Engine oil can come from many places like worn valve guides, weak turbo oil seals, etc. Luckily it does not automatically mean rings. While you work on it, you can do a compression and leak down test. Good numbers means healthy cumbustion chambers.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by oliver foster
No worry about the more likely, cheaper problems first.

Get a fuel pressure gauge hooked up after the lift pump, start the truck up, once it is warm, rev it up and check the fuel pressure.
I bet when it is sputtering and smoking the pressure is low or 0.

If so then change lift pump.

If you have lots of fuel pressure, than start looking for air sucking in on the fuel line between the lift pump and the tank.
We will have to do this. I had spoke to someone from big bad diesel performance and they had said that there is something like a threaded hole or something like that, that I can hook a pressure gauge up to the lift pump? He said should read at 3psi anything lower and the lift pump is bad? Thanks for the help I really appreciate it.
Old 10-11-2014, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by rrgrassi
Blue smoke also can mean burning engine oil. Engine oil can come from many places like worn valve guides, weak turbo oil seals, etc. Luckily it does not automatically mean rings. While you work on it, you can do a compression and leak down test. Good numbers means healthy cumbustion chambers.

ok so I guess I have a few things to check out. Hopefully it is something simple and cheap. Thanks for the help
Old 10-12-2014, 02:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As long as the engine has not been abused, and maintainted properly, it usually is simple and inexpensive. Amazing how a 5 cent part can make it look like a $500 problem, and typically, we fix the $500 problem first...
Old 10-12-2014, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by rrgrassi
As long as the engine has not been abused, and maintainted properly, it usually is simple and inexpensive. Amazing how a 5 cent part can make it look like a $500 problem, and typically, we fix the $500 problem first...

Yup I take care of all my vehicles. Haha yea well said. Have to get some testing done and start checking things off the checklist.
Old 10-12-2014, 02:12 AM

Thanks for the help guys. Will keep you guys posted.