1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 05:19 PM

Received 1,037 Likes on 762 Posts
I'm taking a break from changing coolant hoses on my truck. The heater hoses were a lot easier that I figured they would be. Now I'm rasseling with the lower radiator hose. It's slightly small to go over the engine inlet. More later on that.

I hooked up a female garden hose fitting to the 5/8 hose I bought for the heater hoses and connected it to the nipple where the heater line connects. Then I turned the water on full and ran it until it was clear. then drained it all and turned the truck around to change the hoses.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Edwin,
Did you put silicone hoses back on or regular old rubber ones?
Old 02-11-2018, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jim Lane
Edwin,
Did you put silicone hoses back on or regular old rubber ones?
I put Gates radiator hoses on and 5/8" rubber hose on everything else. I wouldn't know a silicone hose if it turned into a snake and bit me. I got the 100% antifreeze in and of course it went in very slowly even with the heater hose off the top of the head. Took at least 1/2 hour to get it all in. Of course I spilled some and it got on the belt and it squealed for a long time even though I hosed it off. Took the truck for a short drive down the 405 fwy and the squealing finally stopped. Popped the hood and looked it over for leaks and I didn't see any so I'm calling the operation a success.
Old 02-12-2018, 07:05 AM
Administrator

I did not get much done to my truck this weekend,

I just spent the entire weekend at the NHRA Winternationals in Pomona being immersed in 10,000 plus horsepower ground pounding 330 mPH dragsters and Funny Cars enjoying one of my favorite noisy sports.

We are friends with some of the top names in racing.

We were here when Brittney Force wrecked her Top Fuel Dragster.

Got to love drag racing.

Now back to work.

Jim
The following users liked this post:
edwinsmith (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 07:10 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
I put Gates radiator hoses on and 5/8" rubber hose on everything else. I wouldn't know a silicone hose if it turned into a snake and bit me. I got the 100% antifreeze in and of course it went in very slowly even with the heater hose off the top of the head. Took at least 1/2 hour to get it all in. Of course I spilled some and it got on the belt and it squealed for a long time even though I hosed it off. Took the truck for a short drive down the 405 fwy and the squealing finally stopped. Popped the hood and looked it over for leaks and I didn't see any so I'm calling the operation a success.
Edwin,
Silicone hose is what came factory on our trucks, it will have either a blue, green or red or black liner to the hose and is considered to be permanent,
It will cost you about $6.00 per foot to replace.
Jim
The following 2 users liked this post by Jim Lane:
edwinsmith (02-12-2018), mknittle (02-13-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 01:44 PM

Edwin,
Silicone hose is what came factory on our trucks, it will have either a blue, green or red or black liner to the hose and is considered to be permanent,
Jim
That's good to know. I took one of those off the lower tube going into the intake fitting. It was dated 3Q89 so it was probably the original. All the others had been replaced before and were cracking. The elbow hose at the top front was split and about 20 minutes from leaking greatly so I got it just in time.

The spring for the lower radiator hose was very short and since the old spring was still good I reused it to ensure the hose wouldn't collapse.

Now I have to figure out what to do with the used coolant other than feeding it to the stray dogs in the neighborhood.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:38 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
That's good to know. I took one of those off the lower tube going into the intake fitting. It was dated 3Q89 so it was probably the original. All the others had been replaced before and were cracking. The elbow hose at the top front was split and about 20 minutes from leaking greatly so I got it just in time.

The spring for the lower radiator hose was very short and since the old spring was still good I reused it to ensure the hose wouldn't collapse.

Now I have to figure out what to do with the used coolant other than feeding it to the stray dogs in the neighborhood.
Hey Edwin.

There are silicone hoses on eBay, that won't break the bank. Cummins 90deg hoses are, about $45 each. I paid $12 each on eBay, and they were high quality silicone.

That spring in the lower,hose isn't really needed. I've run it with and without for years, and it made no difference. I believe it was used at the factory for speed of install of the coolant, or so I read awhile back. Maybe. Maybe not. Works either way.
mknittle (02-13-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by NJTman
Hey Edwin.

There are silicone hoses on eBay, that won't break the bank. Cummins 90deg hoses are, about $45 each. I paid $12 each on eBay, and they were high quality silicone.

That spring in the lower,hose isn't really needed. I've run it with and without for years, and it made no difference. I believe it was used at the factory for speed of install of the coolant, or so I read awhile back. Maybe. Maybe not. Works either way.
If the rubber hoses start leaking before I die I'll consider replacing them. I just wanted to get the job done and the rubber hose was cheap and available without ordering or hunting. As for the spring, I have seen hoses collapse under high rpm so I use them.

Here's a pic of a short 3/8 extension I was using to try and get that plug out of the head before I decided it wanted to stay right where is was.

nonrev (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 09:21 PM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
I have bent a cheap 3/8 extension in that plug before as well, now I use a snap-on 3/8 to 1/2 adapter and a 1/2 drive extension and breaker bar.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
I have bent a cheap 3/8 extension in that plug before as well, now I use a snap-on 3/8 to 1/2 adapter and a 1/2 drive extension and breaker bar.
So glad to know I'm not the first.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:14 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Edwin,
Jim
And is 10X easier to remove.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:18 AM

Received 214 Likes on 117 Posts
Well, I can’t see squat out of my passenger mirror, and it’s kind of tough to see out of the drivers side too. Since it looks like I should be headed out of Commiefornia around May (Moving EAST!) and pulling a 26’ X 8’ 6” enclosed, I’m debating ditching these Ford style mirrors in favor of some really ugly, but functional tow mirrors.... what do you guys think? I’m picking up the mirrors this week for about $30. Sure hate to be drilling more holes in the doors, but at least I’d be able to see.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:25 AM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by 73CrewCab
Well, I can’t see squat out of my passenger mirror, and it’s kind of tough to see out of the drivers side too. Since it looks like I should be headed out of Commiefornia around May (Moving EAST!) and pulling a 26’ X 8’ 6” enclosed, I’m debating ditching these Ford style mirrors in favor of some really ugly, but functional tow mirrors.... what do you guys think? I’m picking up the mirrors this week for about $30. Sure hate to be drilling more holes in the doors, but at least I’d be able to see.

I would get some West Coast style mirrors if you are going to go with tow mirrors. You can even get some that are power adjustment and heated. The brackets they mount on also can fold in to the side of the truck like the factory mirrors if you ever need to squeeze through somewhere. I have seen some of the junior ones that telescope out too if you have a really wide trailer. I wish there was a better option for tow mirrors on these trucks. The stock ones flat-out suck and I don’t feel like welding a plate over my wing window. I know that, when done correctly, you can still open the wing window most of the way, but that’s not really my thing. Plus you are then forced to do more body work and paint unless you want to just prime it. My favorite tow mirror install on a first gen that I have seen so far is one where someone took the 3rd gen style mirror apart and put it on a post in the stock mount. I’ll find the thread and put the link here.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:29 AM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by 1stGEN'93

I would get some West Coast style mirrors if you are going to go with tow mirrors. You can even get some that are power adjustment and heated. The brackets they mount on also can fold in to the side of the truck like the factory mirrors if you ever need to squeeze through somewhere. I have seen some of the junior ones that telescope out too if you have a really wide trailer. I wish there was a better option for tow mirrors on these trucks. The stock ones flat-out suck and I don’t feel like welding a plate over my wing window. I know that, when done correctly, you can still open the wing window most of the way, but that’s not really my thing. Plus you are then forced to do more body work and paint unless you want to just prime it. My favorite tow mirror install on a first gen that I have seen so far is one where someone took the 3rd gen style mirror apart and put it on a post in the stock mount. I’ll find the thread and put the link here.
Here it is: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ll-see-317510/
Old 02-13-2018, 12:57 PM

Received 214 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by 1stGEN'93
Looks like a better job than the triangle welded to the door by far! I love the mirrors on some of the newer Ford/Chevy/Dodge trucks functionally, but I’m not a fan of the black ABS look. I’ve considered West Coast and West Coast Jr. mirrors, but every diesel truck I’ve seen them on, they vibrate so badly, that you can’t see out of them (unless you spend $400-$500 a pair) The down side to these, as you pointed out, is that I can’t fold them in...and if I smack a small tree while wheeling in the woods, there goes my door. I’ve been staring at mirrors on trucks, busses, big rigs, vans... you name it, for months trying to figure out what to go with, or what I can modify. I’m kinda just giving up to put these on. At least they’re stainless so they fit the look/time era of a 73.... they’re functional, but I’m not exactly excited about them. If I do run these, I need to find a cherry set of front doors to swap out later

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?