1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

What did you do to your Gen 1 today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 08:06 PM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Truck got a little warm coming home today with the cruise set at 70. Coolant temp gauge showed normal, but when I got home it was idling a little rough. I shut it off and waited a minute and then started it again. Took a lot more cranking than normal and still idled rough. Left it for a while and went and started it seemed just fine. Took it for a drive and drove as good or better. I’m going to have to use my foot all the time I guess and just go REALLY slow (about 45) up the hills at least until I get a pyrometer. Hopefully I didn’t do any damage. Motor at least was in really good shape and only has 130,000 miles round about on it. I guess the rest of the truck does too except the blasted trans. Man I wish it still had the manual in it. So much simpler and more gears to choose from.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:32 PM

Received 214 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by NJTman
Did you set yourself up with a nice "Date" for the Night ? I heard you like those "retired" ladies, as they are quite accommodating for younger men. Might bake you some cookies, or a bit more for your performance.

Well, it DEPENDS on her POISE. I can tell you, where I come from, dentures are a good thing....
The following users liked this post:
NJTman (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 08:42 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by 73CrewCab

Well, it DEPENDS on her POISE. I can tell you, where I come from, dentures are a good thing....
Touche'
Old 02-08-2018, 01:46 AM

Received 1,332 Likes on 862 Posts
We have had a big winter storm here the last few days....so far over 2 feet has fallen at our place in just over 24 hours. I plowed at 11pm last night so hopefully the wife could get to work, but she couldn't get up the driveway this morning to get to work, And got stuck in the yard once she finally got backed down. She was not a happy camper when I got up about 11am. so out and clear the driveway and yard so she could get to work for a few hours.

So far I have spent 6-7 hours today clearing snow from driveway and yard with Sno-ball and my Case 1845C skid steer. Also had to use Patches to drag Sno-ball out of a snow bank along the driveway I slipped into while plowing. Had to tow uphill.....Patches just dug in and pulled it out! Supposed to finally peter out by about 6am tomorrow, but who knows?
Old 02-08-2018, 05:01 AM
KRB

Received 495 Likes on 349 Posts
Originally Posted by 1stGEN'93
Truck got a little warm coming home today with the cruise set at 70. Coolant temp gauge showed normal, but when I got home it was idling a little rough. I shut it off and waited a minute and then started it again. Took a lot more cranking than normal and still idled rough. Left it for a while and went and started it seemed just fine. Took it for a drive and drove as good or better. I’m going to have to use my foot all the time I guess and just go REALLY slow (about 45) up the hills at least until I get a pyrometer. Hopefully I didn’t do any damage. Motor at least was in really good shape and only has 130,000 miles round about on it. I guess the rest of the truck does too except the blasted trans. Man I wish it still had the manual in it. So much simpler and more gears to choose from.
How steep/long are those hills? That doesn't sound right unless you are talking about Rocky Mt. grades maybe.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by KRB
How steep/long are those hills? That doesn't sound right unless you are talking about Rocky Mt. grades maybe.
I live in southern Utah and I can pretty much coast into town comparatively. Going home there is one hill about 1/2 a mile long and I can’t remember the grade now, but I would guess it is somewhere 6 to 7 percent grade. In my Mom’s 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 you are pushing 4K rpm to maintain speed up he hill. Maybe that helps for comparison. Then you just get to the top of that hill and it levels out a little to about a 2-3% grade and then goes up again to about a 4 maybe 5% grade for another 1/4 mile. So basically there is about 3/4 of a mile that is all uphill on he way home. According to a mapping site I use for running routes that shows elevation change, over the course of two miles from just before to just after the biggest section of hill it goes from 4100 feet to almost 4600 feet in two miles. The website that shows grade says it ranges from 6% to 7% for 3/4 to 1 mile I’ll attach a picture of what it shows for grade.

I guess I need to check the rear diff and make sure that it has the same gears as the front. I’ll have to clean it up to read the numbers. When I googled the numbers on the tag on the front differential it popped up as 3.54 gears. I thought that usually gear ratios were indicated on a tag on the rear door, but there is only one sticker on my door jam that says when the truck was manufactured, tire size, axle weight ratings, and maybe a couple other minor things. Maybe I’ll have to pull the diff covers off and change fluid, figuring out what gears I have at the same time. Shouldn’t the front and rear differential have the same gears? I thought they had to and that the transfer case did all the gear reduction from front to rear and that that was why the front tires spun a little differently than the rear when in 4WD.
Old 02-08-2018, 11:22 AM

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Yeah you should definitely have matched gears in front a rear.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:56 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Today, I popped the,front floor body mount plugs, as I haven't inspected in a couple years, to make sure nothing bad going on in there. Surprisingly, there wasn't any oil coating in there anymore, as the last time I opened them, I sprayed fluid film in there, and now a light coating of rust coated the interior of the mount cavity.

My driver side cab mount bushing bolt was a bit loose, so I broke out my 1&1/8" socket, a breaker bar, and my impact gun with a 3/4 inch socket to tighten it up a little. Amazingly, no more cab jiggle...

Lol

Sprayed grease in there, and closed it up after letting the cabin floor dry out . This is why I have removable rubber mats, so I can easily retain solid floorboards.
Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-0208181248-600x1067.jpg   What did you do to your Gen 1 today?-0208181252-600x1067.jpg  
Old 02-08-2018, 04:45 PM

Received 1,037 Likes on 762 Posts
I wanted to get some Radiator Flush from O'Reilly's and when I turned the key the truck didn't roar to life like it usually does. It cranked over several times and then stumbled to life like it was starving for fuel. I grabbed the spare fuel filter and the filter wrench and put them in the truck in case it is about plugged up. It ran fine over there and back and started fine when I came out from the store. I'll see how it acts when I flip it around in the driveway to drain the old coolant. The WIF light didn't come on and it's 80F outside so neither did the WTS. The only thing I can think of is the contaminated fuel I put in after the fuel pump fiasco has plugged the fuel filter again. I've run old oil without a problem before but I think one of the cans I used to catch the 8 gallons I drained out of the crankcase had some crud in it.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by edwinsmith
I wanted to get some Radiator Flush from O'Reilly's and when I turned the key the truck didn't roar to life like it usually does. It cranked over several times and then stumbled to life like it was starving for fuel. I grabbed the spare fuel filter and the filter wrench and put them in the truck in case it is about plugged up. It ran fine over there and back and started fine when I came out from the store. I'll see how it acts when I flip it around in the driveway to drain the old coolant. The WIF light didn't come on and it's 80F outside so neither did the WTS. The only thing I can think of is the contaminated fuel I put in after the fuel pump fiasco has plugged the fuel filter again. I've run old oil without a problem before but I think one of the cans I used to catch the 8 gallons I drained out of the crankcase had some crud in it.
Dang. I feel your pain on the fuel filters! I went through 4 within 100 miles before the crud from the previous owner running waste vegetable oil in the truck. That was after having the tank professionally cleaned by a local radiator shop too. Granted I run a Napa filter that, unfortunately, doesn’t have the spot for the water in fuel sensor. They filter to 4 microns though, so I figure that there must be some benefit even if they plug up faster/easier. I want to add a big Caterpillar filter like I’ve seen some do just after the tank before the lift pump. That way I could run the larger stock replacement filter with the water in fuel sensor in the normal location. For now I think I’ll stick with the filters I’m currently using. 4 microns sounds pretty good!
Old 02-08-2018, 05:45 PM

Dang. I feel your pain on the fuel filters! I went through 4 within 100 miles before the crud from the previous owner running waste vegetable oil in the truck. That was after having the tank professionally cleaned by a local radiator shop too. Granted I run a Napa filter that, unfortunately, doesn’t have the spot for the water in fuel sensor. They filter to 4 microns though, so I figure that there must be some benefit even if they plug up faster/easier. I want to add a big Caterpillar filter like I’ve seen some do just after the tank before the lift pump. That way I could run the larger stock replacement filter with the water in fuel sensor in the normal location. For now I think I’ll stick with the filters I’m currently using. 4 microns sounds pretty good!
YEP! And I have completely blown any savings on fuel with the cost of new filters.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:53 PM

YEP! And I have completely blown any savings on fuel with the cost of new filters.
Haha! I feel you there too! To top it all off my best average between fill ups so far is 13.4 m.p.g.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:34 PM

Haha! I feel you there too! To top it all off my best average between fill ups so far is 13.4 m.p.g.
When I drive on the freeway I average 18.5 mpg. Around town I don't even bother. I can't remember the last time I filled up but it's getting towards 1/2 tank on the gauge so probably come S.S. deposit time I'll fill it up again. I have to order a couple more fuel filters.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:48 PM

When I drive on the freeway I average 18.5 mpg. Around town I don't even bother. I can't remember the last time I filled up but it's getting towards 1/2 tank on the gauge so probably come S.S. deposit time I'll fill it up again. I have to order a couple more fuel filters.
I guess that brings me to what I did to my truck today. I went out and set the time on the clock after some searching on here how to do it, and then sat there for a minute listening to the radio thinking about how I need to fix my fuel gauge. Sometimes if the truck is sitting at the right angle it will work. Sometimes I’ll be driving and it will start to move and then fall back to empty where it usually sits. I don’t drive more than 200 miles on a tank as with my poor mileage it goes through the fuel pretty quick. That’s all highway driving too, however full of hills my driving may be. Kinda disappointed that I haven’t been able to get better mileage. Maybe when I get a pyrometer and start tinkering with the pump it will improve. It works very hard now to go 70. I need to somehow figure out definitively what gear ratio I have. If it isn’t 3.54 I will probably make it so. Anywho. If there are any ideas or threads that would explain how to fix my non-working fuel gauge then that would be appreciated. Seems like I read at one point that replacing the sending unit would fix it, and it seems like Oliver mentioned he had one that worked he would be willing to talk to me about through PM. I just want to make sure the sending unit is my issue, not something else.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:49 PM

I guess that brings me to what I did to my truck today. I went out and set the time on the clock after some searching on here how to do it, and then sat there for a minute listening to the radio thinking about how I need to fix my fuel gauge. Sometimes if the truck is sitting at the right angle it will work. Sometimes I’ll be driving and it will start to move and then fall back to empty where it usually sits. I don’t drive more than 200 miles on a tank as with my poor mileage it goes through the fuel pretty quick. That’s all highway driving too, however full of hills my driving may be. Kinda disappointed that I haven’t been able to get better mileage. Maybe when I get a pyrometer and start tinkering with the pump it will improve. It works very hard now to go 70. I need to somehow figure out definitively what gear ratio I have. If it isn’t 3.54 I will probably make it so. Anywho. If there are any ideas or threads that would explain how to fix my non-working fuel gauge then that would be appreciated. Seems like I read at one point that replacing the sending unit would fix it, and it seems like Oliver mentioned he had one that worked he would be willing to talk to me about through PM. I just want to make sure the sending unit is my issue, not something else.
I took my instrument cluster out and cleaned all of the contacts of the plugs for the gauges and lights. I also soldered the pins that were just crimped into the circuit board to make sure they worked.

If you have the wiring diagrams of the FSM you could trace the wiring for the gauge and make sure all of the connections are tight and not corroded.

Intermittent problems are the hardest to find because you have to look at everything, sometimes over and over.

Edwin

Quick Reply: What did you do to your Gen 1 today?