1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Neutral Safety Switch/Clutch Safety Switch

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 08:22 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by edwinsmith
I just had supper but now I'm wondering what a Taco Switch is.
That's when you switch from Res to Pollo. Beef to chicken.
Old 09-10-2017, 12:41 PM

Received 340 Likes on 239 Posts
Originally Posted by mknittle
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (09-10-2017)
Old 09-10-2017, 04:22 PM

Received 1,037 Likes on 762 Posts
Originally Posted by mknittle
The fish type are easy to flip.
The following users liked this post:
mknittle (09-10-2017)
Old 08-26-2018, 02:14 PM

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
So since this thread is about the clutch safety switch, I figure I can ask here rather than start yet another thread. Where can a clutch safety switch be had? I just swapped back to a manual after testing out an automatic until it blew up and I don’t have the clutch safety switch anymore. I have a wire that I ran the two brown/yellow wires from the starter relay into and plugged it into the automatic before and I know I could ground it and have the truck start, but then the cruise wouldn’t work. So I bought clutch hydraulics from South Bend and it didn’t come with a switch. Will a second gen safety switch work?
Old 08-26-2018, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by 1stGEN'93
So since this thread is about the clutch safety switch, I figure I can ask here rather than start yet another thread. Where can a clutch safety switch be had? I just swapped back to a manual after testing out an automatic until it blew up and I don’t have the clutch safety switch anymore. I have a wire that I ran the two brown/yellow wires from the starter relay into and plugged it into the automatic before and I know I could ground it and have the truck start, but then the cruise wouldn’t work. So I bought clutch hydraulics from South Bend and it didn’t come with a switch. Will a second gen safety switch work?
A lot of people just wire around them. Just be sure it's in neutral or the clutch is down before you hit the starter. I still have mine but before I repaired my linkage I had to really stab the pedal down to get it to start.
Old 08-26-2018, 05:27 PM

A lot of people just wire around them. Just be sure it's in neutral or the clutch is down before you hit the starter. I still have mine but before I repaired my linkage I had to really stab the pedal down to get it to start.
I’ve got a brand new set of pedals and want to have the safety switch. I also want cruise to work and I’ve heard it won’t if I just ground the wires. Is there a way around that?
Old 08-26-2018, 05:35 PM

I’ve got a brand new set of pedals and want to have the safety switch. I also want cruise to work and I’ve heard it won’t if I just ground the wires. Is there a way around that?
I looked at RockAuto for the 93 but they don't list one. Mine is an 89 and it's a cylindrical affair that clamps around the shaft of the clutch M/C. I don't know if the 93 is different. I would think the Cruise would need both the clutch and brake switch to work properly. Otherwise the engine would continue running faster and faster if you depressed the clutch and the truck slowed down without disabling the CC. If you remembered to tap the brake pedal when you depress the clutch you could get by with it until you found the switch. If you were handy you could figure something out with an alternative switch. Do you have the wiring diagrams from the FSM to see how the CC is wired to it. It may be a double switch with one part to the clutch and the other to the CC.

Edwin
Old 08-26-2018, 05:49 PM

I looked at RockAuto for the 93 but they don't list one. Mine is an 89 and it's a cylindrical affair that clamps around the shaft of the clutch M/C. I don't know if the 93 is different. I would think the Cruise would need both the clutch and brake switch to work properly. Otherwise the engine would continue running faster and faster if you depressed the clutch and the truck slowed down without disabling the CC. If you remembered to tap the brake pedal when you depress the clutch you could get by with it until you found the switch. If you were handy you could figure something out with an alternative switch. Do you have the wiring diagrams from the FSM to see how the CC is wired to it. It may be a double switch with one part to the clutch and the other to the CC.

Edwin
Yeah. I’ve got the FSM. I know that some people use a brake switch as a safety switch on the clutch pedal, but I’m too lazy I guess to fab a bracket to hold one to the clutch pedal somehow. Can you tell me if your safety switch looks like this? This is from a 3rd gen I think.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:10 PM

Yeah. I’ve got the FSM. I know that some people use a brake switch as a safety switch on the clutch pedal, but I’m too lazy I guess to fab a bracket to hold one to the clutch pedal somehow. Can you tell me if your safety switch looks like this? This is from a 3rd gen I think.

Yep! That's it. I don't know if it's an exact fit though. Yikes on the price though. Have you asked Oliver?

Edwin

Last edited by edwinsmith; 08-26-2018 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Add text.
Old 08-26-2018, 08:15 PM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
I used an old brake light switch and the bracket from an old 60/70's mopar....took very little modification and maybe one hole drilled to make it work.

Looked something like this...

Old 08-26-2018, 09:34 PM

Is there a part number on that box? Hopefully it's cheaper than the one from AutoZonk.
Old 08-26-2018, 10:21 PM

Received 1,331 Likes on 862 Posts
Think it was a NOS one for a 70's full size mopar C-body...$50?. But just search up, brake light switch (Mopar, dodge, plymouth, chrysler) on E-bay and should be able to find something relatively cheap. Heck those switches are dirt cheap and then a piece of angle iron with two holes drilled in it should net you a switch for probably under $20. The wiring is the neutral safety wire from the old auto plug...center one I believe on a 3 wire switch, then up to the top of the switch, then the other connector off the back goes to ground. I had all the parts in my junk bin so cost me nothing, but been working great for over 4 years now.
Old 08-31-2018, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by thrashingcows
I used an old brake light switch and the bracket from an old 60/70's mopar....took very little modification and maybe one hole drilled to make it work.

Looked something like this...

I guess I could handle that P.O. took the brown and the brown and yellow wire coming out of I’m guessing the starter relay and cut them and spliced them into a single wire. I’m guessing I could just hook that one wire up to the brake light switch. The truck was originally a manual, so it has a manual harness. The plug for the clutch safety switch has a wad of copper wire shoved in it too, so I think everything should work if I get a switch hooked up. Now I just need to get some Eldorado Calipers and put them on so I can have an e-brake.