1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Fuel Pressure for 92

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Pressure for 92

What should the numbers be (Idle and WOT) for a Fuel pressure gauge for my 92? I do not have any gauge yet but the truck seems to shudder or something like that upon take off, some of the time. If I give it any throttle, it takes right off without a problem. It is mostly when in traffic and I don't want to smoke out the people behind me. Happens until about 850 - 1000 rpm, then not a problem. Mass Diesel noticed this when I had my tranny upgraded about 8000 miles ago and mentioned it wasn't tranny related. I think motor is just not getting enough fuel upon leaving the line. Pump is turned way up and adjusted properly because it likes to GO when I press the pedal to the floor. What is a typical price and where to get a good one for Fuel Pressure Gauge?
Old 07-17-2003, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re:Fuel Pressure for 92

LOL, when you find a set pressure spec, let me know. The majority seems to be around the 7psi mark. Whatever gauge you go with, make sure you place a needle valve in front of the gauge to take out the fluctuation from the stock pump. This fluctuation can also shorten the life of the gauge substantially. Another thing to think about is Rods High Flow Banjo bolts. Most people think that they will only work for the ISB crowd. I tried them on my truck and I seemed to have gained a pound. Plus, one of them is already tapped and read for a fuel gauge. There are only 2 banjos on our rides so you will only need 2.

Alot of guys are running this pump with great results. And, its right at the same price as what Cummins wants for the stock replacement. Whatever you go with, do not go over 15psi, anywhere near or over that will cause the shaft seal on the VE to go.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:07 PM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

I'm considering an electric pump. What cover plate/gasket is available to cover the mechanicle pump location? Is this all that is needed? Would the electric get wired to the ignition?
Old 07-17-2003, 11:16 PM

Get a BB chevy fuel pump block off plate. You'll need shorter bolts because the block off plate is much thinner than the fuel pump. You can get the gasket from Cummins. ;D<br><br>Sean
Old 07-17-2003, 11:47 PM

[quote author=formula link=board=9;threadid=17105;start=0#161285 date=1058501814]
Get a BB chevy fuel pump block off plate. You'll need shorter bolts because the block off plate is much thinner than the fuel pump. You can get the gasket from Cummins. ;D

Sean
[/quote]
Thanks Sean, that's exactly what I suspected! Am I right to wire to the ignition? I guess I could use a seperate switch, maybe hide it for a security feature.
Don
Old 07-18-2003, 10:07 AM

for safety sake, with a street driven auto an elec pump should really be wired into the ign switch. Otherwise if u were in an accident or something and were hurt and unable to hit the toggle, u may continue to pump fuel, which is not what you want to have happen
Old 07-18-2003, 10:23 AM

Thanks, just a splice? Should I be concerned about drawing too much power at all? I thought I read somewhere that there had been prblems with some switches. I have seen headlight switches for example, that had auxilary lights wired to them, melt the whole mechanism. I am serious about trying the pump, so thanks for the replys.<br>Don
Old 07-18-2003, 10:37 AM

I would also consider keeping the pusher pump on the engine and having the elect. pump feed the fuel to it as long as you know the pusher pump is working properly. Worse case is the fuel pump is too strong and I would rather have the pusher pump blow up then the Injector Pump going south. $$$ would be cheaper to replace a pusher pump. Just a thought. BushWakr made this comment to me last night on the phone.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:29 AM

You could wire the pump through the ignition then through a hidden toggle. that way if either one is shut off it will cut the fuel. Its a little more work but it is safe.
Old 07-18-2003, 06:33 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd rather see the electric pump wired through an oil pressure switch, with a parallel circuit off the cranking terminal on the starter for fuel when starting. That way if you wreck and a fuel line gets cut, you aren't pumping diesel all over the ground to make it a flaming wreck. Use a relay to provide a ground to the pump when cranking, with the oil pressure switch providing ground once the engine's running. Also makes a handy engine protection device - oil pressure drops below 5 pounds, engine quits! You can put your toggle on the power side for anti-theft.
Old 07-18-2003, 11:53 PM

Good tips guys, I'm sure the current pump is bad. It's wet, poor mileage (should probably do the return valve too), and I don't think the lever is functioning properly. Another indicator, I have run out of fuel a few times when I got the truck, refueled,started right up. Had my head in my fourth point of contact a couple weeks ago, and ran out twice pulling into the station. Had to crack injectors both times. The pump was wet when I got the truck, so I'm sure it was already on it's way down hill.