1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

locations for fuel pressure guage/oil pressure guage

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 10:01 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
locations for fuel pressure guage/oil pressure guage

Can someone tell/explain to me where to plumb for a fuel pressure guage? I read talk about a banjo bolt...where is that? Is this install worthwhile for a permanent guage mount or temporarily for maintenance check? Also, is it possible to permanently mount a guage under the hood in the engine compartment? All these questions apply also for the oil pressure guage. Finally, what PSI reading is safe/normal and what PSI is something to watch out for? My apologies for too many questions.Carmyne
Old 01-23-2006, 10:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You cannot plump a fuel pressure gauge into the stock system without modification. It is possible to drill and tap the banjo bolt coming out of the clean side of the fuel filter to 1/8 npt to hook a gauge up but is no recommended. However you can order two high flow banjo bolts from www.genosgarage.com one tapped with 1/8 and one without but it is reccomended to buy two tapped ones instead so that way if you break one you can use the other one.

It all depends on how you feel about watching the fuel pressure really. It can be used just to check every so often but its also nice to have it right there in the cab to prevent a problem and such.

Its very possible to mount it under the hood if desired but i think highly un necessary as you can only check it while the hood is open so its just as easy to hook it up when you need to check it.

If you have a stock style diaphram lift pump you probably won't see much higher then 10psi at the highest and its possible to see 0 psi under wot but isn't good. A good place to be under wot is atleast above 3psi

I answered the question of the oil psi gauge on your other thread. I hope this helps!
Old 01-23-2006, 11:52 PM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by Underpsi
You cannot plump a fuel pressure gauge into the stock system without modification. It is possible to drill and tap the banjo bolt coming out of the clean side of the fuel filter to 1/8 npt to hook a gauge up but is no recommended. However you can order two high flow banjo bolts from www.genosgarage.com one tapped with 1/8 and one without but it is reccomended to buy two tapped ones instead so that way if you break one you can use the other one.

It all depends on how you feel about watching the fuel pressure really. It can be used just to check every so often but its also nice to have it right there in the cab to prevent a problem and such.

Its very possible to mount it under the hood if desired but i think highly un necessary as you can only check it while the hood is open so its just as easy to hook it up when you need to check it.

If you have a stock style diaphram lift pump you probably won't see much higher then 10psi at the highest and its possible to see 0 psi under wot but isn't good. A good place to be under wot is atleast above 3psi

I answered the question of the oil psi gauge on your other thread. I hope this helps!
I can't find the reply for the oil pressure guage Do you know the part #'s for the banjo bolts at Geno's? Where exactly is this "clean side of the fuel filter" to tap in at? 3 psi sure seems low...I expected more. I take it you are pulling psi numbers on the low pressure side, before the injector pump? Sorry!
Old 01-24-2006, 04:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigragu
I can't find the reply for the oil pressure guage Do you know the part #'s for the banjo bolts at Geno's? Where exactly is this "clean side of the fuel filter" to tap in at? 3 psi sure seems low...I expected more. I take it you are pulling psi numbers on the low pressure side, before the injector pump? Sorry!
The banjo bolts are the same ones Geno's advertises as 24 valve banjo bolts. Clean side of the fuel filter is after the filter. Find the banjo bolt with a small 'bleeder' bolt in it. That is the one you replace with the tapped bolt to measure FP. Still unsure, its the fuel line that runs from the fuel filter to the injection pump.

Oil pressure specs: Min allowed at idle warm 10psi, min allowed cruise warm 25psi. Normal you'll see 25-30psi warm idle, 45-55psi warm cruise. Cold pressure can be 80-100psi.

Fuel pressure specs. Min allowed at idle or wot stock LP 3psi. Spec is 3-5psi after fuel filter idle/cruise. Normal you'll see 3-5psi cruise/idle with a working LP, 0psi wot with working or dead lift pump on anything other than stock fuel settings.

Yes low pressure side, after fuel filter, prior to injection pump.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
opps sorry i thouhgt you were the one that also posted about the oil pressure gauge. This thread is the one I was referring to https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...533#post878533