1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Cooler Intake Air?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cooler Intake Air?

Was kind of board in class today and was thinking if I wrapped some sort of insulation around the intake tube between the air filter and the turbo. Then wrapped some around the tube between engine and after cooler. Do you think this would keep the air cooler before it reaches the engine? Or would it have so little effect that it would be useless? I am thinking along the lines of keeping engine heat off the tubes to provide cooler air.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:05 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
That's a good question. I wouldn't think it would make a great improvement, but who knows? You could take it for a big drive, then stop and measure the temperature of the intercooler tubes with a laser temp gun. Then you'd at least have an idea how hot they get. If you were real ambitious, you could slip a remote temperature probe into the tube at the intercooler boot, to monitor the actual air temp inside the tube while driving. That way, you could also see if there's an improvement after wrapping the tubes.

Seems like a lot of work, but that's how guys like Banks, Edge, and Scotty got started.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:08 PM

prolly help a little, not enough to notice though. That air is flowin through there so fast it aint gonna heat up much through the tubes from the engine heat. But that is inexpensive, easy to do, and might be better than i think. Try it out and let everyone know if you see any differences.
Old 02-28-2006, 02:50 AM
Patron Saint of 1st gens

Smile

You may actually have a good idea here...

Depending on outside temps you could benefit from this type of insulating.

I have read in the Isspro product catalogue that for every 3*F rise in abeint temp rise you'll see.....blast... I THINK the EGT rise is 10*F...
So if that's the case you'll have another mod working to help your EGT's.

On a sorta similar note....many of us guys have "swiss cheesed" our stock airbox by drilling 2" or 2 1/2" holes in the body of the airbox.
The one 'benefit' that I had not honestly foreseen is this....
During cold/wintery weather the airbox is able to draw some of th warmer engine compartment air which (should-will) help with keeping cylinder temps and other related items. You can just cover the front-lower area of the airbox just above the stock inlet tube mount area. This will compliment the situation and again, allow more engine compartment air to reach the filter/turbo inlet.

Just a thought guys.....
Old 02-28-2006, 03:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not a bad idea.anything is worth a shot when trying to get a few more ponies out of these old girls.if I could just keep from burying the 1600 egt guage at wot I would be happy.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:29 PM

So what kind of insulation do you think would work the best?
Old 03-01-2006, 10:56 PM

header exhaust wrap is what I would use. You should also think about what the temperature the air inside the tubes are and what the temperature of ambient surrounding air is. So if you wrapped the tubes would you be insulating the air inside from absorbing heat or keeping it from loosing heat?

I think that wrapping the pipes after the IC would be a good idea but I have a feeling that the pipes before the IC probably get hotter than ambient air, especially at higher boost pressures.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While trying to lower intake temps. would it help to put some header wrap on the exhaust manifold help by keeping the underhood temps down? Or would that just cause the EGT's to go up by making the manifold hotter? Just an idea.

Chris
Old 03-02-2006, 04:02 PM

Yeah my intention is to wrap the tube feeding the turbo and the tube feeding the engine from the after cooler. Not the one between the turbo and after cooler as I am assuming it gets hotter then the engine bay.

Dose anyone have information on the temp change before and after the after cooler?

Will try and do some experimenting this weekend and see what happens.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:28 PM

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/lil_cash2006/detail?.dir=3292&.dnm=bcf7re2.jpg&.src=ph

something like this wrap would work to keep engine bay temps down.

Bob
Old 03-02-2006, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by squirrel
Dose anyone have information on the temp change before and after the after cooler?
after is usually within 20* of ambient. i would imagine that it might be different if you had bgilbert's IC though. the before temp depends on a lot of stuff. most importantly, how hard your turbo(s) are working. i've seen as high as 350* when pushing 50+psi. and that's with ambient temp below freezing.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:56 PM

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts
I think getting the exhaust housing and manifold ceramic coated inside and out (JetHot or whatever) would do so much to lower underhood temps and also help maintain exhaust velocities. If I ever make any money I will send a new manifols and 16cm in to get coated....