Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Hairbrained way to get a cooler intake air charge?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 08:34 PM
JKM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hairbrained way to get a cooler intake air charge?

I would like to introduce to my fellow DTR folks , the FAIS (self named) Stands for Frozen Air Intake System. I was putting about the barn yard , and laid eyes upon the old deep freeze we used to store chemicals in:

And i thought , I have been meaning to make a fancy heat shield for my BHAF! That is when it struck me , i could incorporate the cooling unit from the freezer, into my heat shield , as well as using steel cut from the side of the deep freeze (including the tubes from the cooling core) to actually construct the heat shield!

I grabbed a close piece of carboard and made a template for the base (Signature 600 should be pleased with my choice of cardboard)

I got the template sized to fit , and transferred it to the donor deep freeze:

Dug out my trusty dewalt fabrication companion , the grinder , threw on a new cutting wheel , and slided out the first piece , cleaned it up , and :

I photo recorded some measurements for my DTR friends:

Then i Proceeded to do some adding (refer to failed manual attempt scribbled onto deep freeze, then notice calculator in foreground , cause i am DUM), so i would know the length required to fabricate the upright side (just a note , the upright side ended up being about 11x27")

I cut out the upright piece , marked it for the bends, cut notches in the bottom so i can put a 90 degree bend on it , slip it under the base , and tack weld it on down there , out of sight:

I sent the piece for the upright part of it off to the sheet metal shop to get bent , as i do not have a metal brake at home, It came back today , total cost , 2$. I am away at school for the week , so i will finish up this project next weekend , and post the rest of the pictures , including sandblasting , and paint , for all my DTR friends to share , and prosper.

P.S.- in that last picture , you can reference the cooling core tubes laying ontop of the insulation , they will be tacked back on and plumbed into the cooling unit , to provide a cooler air charge for my intake . The added bonus to the this refrigerated intake , is condensation , save money on a water meth injection it , this takes it to the next level , PRE TURBO water injection! And that is a by product of the cooler air charge.

Total project cost to date- 2$
Time invested to date- 2 hours.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:09 PM

Hmm, Ive got an old freezer just sitting here.....right now its my workbench...but I could be convinced into cutting it up.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:19 PM
JKM

I will have the finished product this weekend , and , if i get my buttin gear, i might have a functional DSS within another week or so (i know , about the 4th time i have said that about my home made DSS)
Old 10-02-2006, 09:37 PM

Eat your heart out Red Green.
Old 10-03-2006, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by abbeyinc
Eat your heart out Red Green.

Nice

See why those parts cost more...even the packaging comes in handy!!!

Chris
Old 10-03-2006, 10:03 AM
JKM

I picked up a rubber strip that will go across the top when i am done , now i just gotta wait for the weekend to get here.

the refigerated part is a joke fella's.... Had a few PM's that concerned me regarding the refrigerated part...
Old 10-03-2006, 12:49 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I first viewed this thread with fierce skepticism. Then I thought to myself...WHY NOT!!!

I, for one, genuinely appreciate a little enginuity.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:53 PM
JKM

I wonder if a guy could somehow run a second a/c system , with the condensor core plumbed into the intake somehow?
Old 10-03-2006, 02:10 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by signature600
Nice

See why those parts cost more...even the packaging comes in handy!!!

Chris
Ya. Right.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:47 PM
Banned

when i was big into the Ford Lightning scene with my 03 lightning there was big talk of the new 3rd gen lightning (that was never produced) but it had a system where it used the A/C to super cool a large air charge system (not sure if it was a tank or a bypass intake tube etc. but the cool air charge could be activated and released at WOT like a nitrous shot. This cold air could result in a short burst of 40-50extra ponies, but would take up to 5 minutes to recharge before being fully effective again.

can you imagine being able to use the a/c to dump a 5 gallon reserve tank of 0* air into your turbo at WOT on a hot day...talk about getting a boost.
Old 10-03-2006, 04:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
From an engineering point of view, you'd get much more "bang for your buck" by using the existing charge-air cooler to wrap your ingenious cooling system around. There's far greater delta temperature at the intercooler face than you could ever hope to generate pre-turbo; and the hot/cold interface zone is much more efficient than anything you're capable of fabricating. Within the stock engine compartment package/envelope, the most effective way to immediately improve the heat-exchange performance & efficiency of the intercooler is to spray the front of it with a cool liquid, such as water.

Still - I've considered refrigerating intake air (atmospheric and pressurized) in the past, so you're certainly on the right track to becoming a rocket scientist!
Old 10-03-2006, 07:31 PM
JKM

I am just going to stick with the intake for now

But i might add your last line to my signature haha!
Old 10-03-2006, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Hoss
I, for one, genuinely appreciate a little enginuity.
Its more like farm boy know-how....
Old 10-03-2006, 08:10 PM
JKM

You mean rocket scientists filled with enginuity don't cut up non working deep freezes?
Old 10-26-2006, 08:24 PM

What happened to this ?? Get on it...

Quick Reply: Hairbrained way to get a cooler intake air charge?