Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Cold air-Warm air Cold air-Warm Air

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold air-Warm air Cold air-Warm Air

have an 01 1500 with an air conditioner problem. A year ago last fall the air quit and i took it into Chrysler dealer and they ended up replacing the evaporator and recharging it. After witch it worked fine.
This spring when i tried to use it all i got was warm air, i put in a can of R-34 and it took off and worked great. That was 4-6 weeks ago and it has worked fine until today. Coming back from Indiana (94 degrees) it began throwing warm air. If i turned it off for a few minutes then turned it back on it would again throw cold air for a few minutes and then quit again. It seemed that if i left the windows down a little it would throw cold air a little longer before it quit again.
I stopped at an auto store and put in another can of the R-34 and it again took right off and thru cold air , for just a few minutes and then back to the same routine described above.
Then i realized and stopped and checked a few times and let it idle for 5 minutes or so when i returned home to check---it is not dripping any water under the truck as they normally do when the air is running
This led me to wonder if perhaps the drain tube could be plugged and the evaperator might be freezing up ? seems years ago when i had heater problems i took an air hose and blew back thru the drain tube and the heater started working again
Any input would be appreaciated before i give up and take it in for the high dollar repair.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:32 PM

If you have to much r134a in there it will not work.
Old 07-18-2008, 05:56 AM

Could be a number of things
-A restriction somewhere in the lines( if it is freezing up you should be able to tell. Just run the truck and turn the ac on and look around the lines and the evaperator.)
-malfunctioning high or low pressure switch
-leak in the system and low on freon
Old 07-18-2008, 06:18 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by herb
Any input would be appreaciated...
It's broke.

Hope that was helpful!

When you get it figured out, let us know. My International does the same thing.

chaikwa.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:25 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
You really should not ever put any freon into any system without knowing whats going on. Low freon is just one of many reasons you get warm air. AC systems are under very big amounts of pressure and seriously overfilling it can be like a bomb waiting to blow. If that bomb happens to be a 12 ounce metal can while your holding it, then your going to be in a world of hurt.

Look on the bottom of your can. There's a prescored cut as a saftey to make the bottom blow out instead of the sides. Just that being there says whoever is selling that can allready has a concearn in mind about the possiblity of blowing a hand off.

AC is something that I beleive anyone can do, with the right tools and knowledge. I'm no expert, but have been able to learn enough to fix my own and have ice cold ac again, as well as saving alot of money.

I do recomend that people read more than one source on the internet. Suprisingly, not everything you read on there is true/correct. I had a link at one time to some very good and corrcet info, but lost track of it. If I ever get it back, I'll make sure I share it with everyone.