1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Changing Oil...

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 01:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing Oil...

I know this is a total noob question, but this is the first vehicle I have veer owned.

I have been looking for information and purchased 15-W40 oil, a fuel filter and an oil filter. Can anyone tell me exactly how to drain the oil, where and how to fill it back up, and how to change these filters?

Thank you, and sorry for the stupid question. You have to learn somewhere though...
Old 01-30-2009, 01:57 AM

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
i'll start by welcoming you to the forum! if you are new to it, you'll find a lot of handy info in these threads!

anyway, draining the oil is as simple as removing the drain plug in the pan. recommend running the motor for a little bit to warm things up so it drains faster. it'll be a little warm . be sure to torque your drain plug to recommended specs too! the oil filter is easy to change also. usually helps to remove your turbo intake tube for added workspace. twist off the old one. careful, it's still full of oil. when installing the new one, dip your finger in some oil and lube the seal at the top, fill it with fresh, clean oil, then twist it on only hand tight. over tightening could lead to breaking the housing. the fuel filter is a little more difficult. you have to reach up under the intake to get to it. make sure you remove the water in fuel sensor and install in on the new one. installing the new filter is just a matter of finding the threads on the mount and being sure not to cross thread it. fill it maybe 3/4 to full of FRESH diesel fuel. reach back in there and screw it on. hand tighten just like the oil filter. i believe the oil capacity is 12 or 13 quarts including the filter? i think that should get you started.
Old 01-30-2009, 02:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't remember if the filter is reverse threads or not.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:19 AM

I have a 2X4 truck, so should I put it on jacks or something to be able to get to the oil pan? Another dumb question, where exactly is that located? And will the plug be in plain sught?

After I drain the oil, how and where do I put the new oil in?

thanks again for helping a noob.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:59 AM

oil plug will be in plain sight, use a 3/8 drive ratchet to remove the oil plug. under the truck you will see two plugs, one on the engine for oil, one behind the engine for the tranny, take the first one out. you might need jacks, try and find some of those ramps you can drive up, make sure you chalk your back tires before you crawl under. the oil filler is right inbetween the radiator and timing case, up in plain sight, says oil on the cap. twist and remove. 3 gallons of oil should leave you with about 1/2 quart extra to through in the glove box.good luck with you new rig.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:27 AM

The drain plug on the oil pan is 17mm ( I think ) and when you drain the oil make sure you have a container big enough to hold all that oil or you will have a mess on your hands. Be careful with those ramps, make sure that they are heavy built and not cheap made or you could end up trying to bench press your truck. When you change the fuel filter make sure you fill the filter back up and pump the prime lever on your lift pump a few times before you start the truck back up.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:23 AM

And when you are done changing the oil, you can literally pour the old oil into the tank and use it as fuel. I do it every time I change oil on any of my cars.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:51 AM

A nice trick with the oil filter is after your loosen it. Slip a large zip lock bag around it and finish unscrewing it. It will drop into the bag and not make a mess.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:08 PM

I wouldn't pour the old oil into the fuel tank without filtering out any metal bits or anything else that might be floating in there.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mattster
Can't remember if the filter is reverse threads or not.
the threads are standard or right handed on both. lefty loosey, righty tighty. just remember to think of looking at it from the bottom though. so from the top, yes it may appear that they are left handed threads because they will spin on while you're turning in counterclockwise, but they're not. again, looking from the bottom, they'll be spinning clockwise. think about it before you spin it the wrong way.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:39 PM

One other thought is to make sure the gasket comes off when you remove the oil filter. You do not want to thread the new oil filter on with the old gasket still on the spud. Can make a big mess from what I hear. I have not done it yet but came close once. Also the fuel filter little O ring gasket on the spud likes to stay on. So make sure you get that one off too before putting on the new fuel filter
Old 01-30-2009, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mattster
I wouldn't pour the old oil into the fuel tank without filtering out any metal bits or anything else that might be floating in there.

Forgot to mention - I pour it through a paint strainer...

I also hit the brakes a few times when I first take off to mix up the oil and diesel a bit.
Old 01-30-2009, 01:07 PM

i wouldn't put used oil in my tank even if i did strain it. maybe a little atf once in a while, but at least it's clean and not used. the oil filter doesn't have small enough micron filters in it. which is why you still have metal shavings in the oil when you change it. those shavings can destroy your fuel system. if not sooner, but later. and you'll definitely pay for it in the end. don't do it!