1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

A/C refrigerent line

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C refrigerant line

I have been on the phone today with every parts supplier from Advanced Autoparts to Chrysler and everything in between with no luck. I am in need of a A/C suction & liquid line. Chrysler says the p/n I have from the 1989 Part Book is discontinued, no superceding number... Every autoparts locally and/or online doesn't even list the suction side for some reason, what up with that. They all have the discharge and liquid line, every one of them. And half of them will argue that is the only refrigerant line assy there is . Someone tell me I am wrong so I can press the easy button... Now I will have to go and see if the one place here in town can make one, they said maybe...

Why does the aftermarket have the discharge but not the suction lines?

Has anybody swapped from the C171 to the SDB709 compressor? If so, are the A/C compressor mounting brackets the same from the 171 to the 709?

Does anyone have two trucks with said compressors to look at side by side and answer a few questions I have? An 89-90 and a 92-93?
Old 07-11-2009, 09:29 PM

i got trucks to compare, the mounts and line are different between years you listed . non i/c vs i/c ive got lines for both i think.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:36 PM

I know the a/c hoses are different. The actual steel mounting brackets that the compressor bolts to. That's what I would like to know. They are different huh?
Old 07-11-2009, 09:37 PM

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
How about just getting them rebuilt?

I like new hoses when they are available for a resonable cost.. but rebuilt work just fine. Find a local hydraulic shop- it's a common thing. Plan on $75 or so for the hose, the other two maybe $30-50 each. So the other two might reasonable to just replace. Do them all, new dryer evacuate. If it's a R143a coverted- you might consider flushing and re-oiling to remove the moisture.

M
Old 07-11-2009, 09:38 PM

yes, brackets are different.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:39 PM

Sounds easy doesn't it? But the suction side is tricky to just rebuild, there's a temp probe in it and people here have had issues with them after rebuilt. I am not lucky either.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:43 PM

I have new discharge line, drier, o-rings, gaskets. The suction line is leaking. Looks like I have to at least try a rebuild suction line. Thought about swapping to the newer compressor, Chrysler has the hoses for it according to the parts dept. here. But the compressor and brackets would make that a spendy swap.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:42 PM

Received 73 Likes on 57 Posts
I went through the same mess when we completely over-hauled the A/C on the wife's truck, spending almost as much on the A/C as we paid for the truck.

There is one hose that absolutely is not available and is a build it yourself item, period.

I exhausted every possible source to find that hose and finally found a place that had the ability to put "barbs" on our old fittings, and then crimp on new hose; they knew that they were a last resort and charged accordingly; quite a bit over a hundred-bucks and used our old fittings that they added "barbs" to.

Several A/C hose-making concerns refused to make the hose, as the factory fittings are smooth with no "barbs" and they claim without the barbs the hose will soon blow itself apart.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:32 PM

Here's my concern with rebuilding the suction line hoses. Read post #7

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...ght=a%2Fc+hose

This could be a one time deal, there's only one place here that does it and I only have one hose...

Anyone have any advice other than what has been posted previously?

One more thing... Can someone post the p/n for the serpantine belt for trucks without air conditioning? I'll need one while I go thru this mess.