3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

AirDog /FASS Return Line ‘T’ into stock fuel return line

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 03:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AirDog /FASS Return Line ‘T’ into stock fuel return line

Just a possible option... Instead of adding another bulk head fitting to the fuel canister / module (or directly onto the tank) for the AD 100 / FASS 95 return line, what about installing a "T" fitting into the existing stock fuel return line instead?

Looking at some of the "modified fuel canister" pictures (unless the tube was removed), it looks like the stock return connection just drops / sprays into the fuel canister (vs. a tube to return the fuel to the bottom of the canister).

I also thought about using the ‘auxiliary fitting’, but then I would need some sort of 90* compression fitting on that plastic stub vs. directly connecting the return line but with time it would bend and cause a kink in the fuel return line.

Pro's / Con's to the stock fuel return line ‘T’ approach?
Old 04-29-2009, 06:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You could use the return that comes with the Fass/Airdog that simply t's into the fill neck
Old 05-05-2009, 11:30 PM

Yes, that is an option too. I prefer not to cut into the filler neck tube. I'm sure a lot of folks did the 'filler neck mod' and it works fine, but its just my preference (for now and hopefully I will not eat my words ).

Since I am installing the tank vent mod, I will build a splicer connection (with a few fittings) and use the stock vent tube as the return tube. Since the AD2 always has the fuel it / the engine needs, I should be ok with a stock engine truck (less the AD2). But time will tell and I maybe going back to the 'return to the canister mod'.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:14 AM

If you draw from the canister you must put the AD return into it as well or you'll have problems when you get below about 3/8 of a tank of fuel, been dere, dun dat, see link in my signature.

I don't think the little engine reurn line to the canister would be big enough for that and the AD return.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:33 AM

I ran the tank all the way down, until the 'red fuel light' came on +20 more 'city' miles (relatively flat, no major inclines/declines). I just drove "normal" for me (not always jumping on WOT). I normally do not let the fuel to get so low before filling up.

I always had fuel; however, I can not say how the FP handled in this situation. I currently do not have a FP gauge. I left the AD2 pressure set to the default and the truck was responsive. Therefore, so far, so good.

I guess a better test will be with a FP gauge hooked up to the system.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:31 AM

Once you get a FP gauge and run below Ό tank you might not like what you see, or at least I didn't.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by AirDog
You'll be fine man.
He'll be fine drawing from the canister and just dumping the AD return into the tank?
Been there, done that, didn't work work for me, click the link in my signature man.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:32 PM
Ace
Banned

So is this 1/4 tank problem just an AD/FASS return line thing?

I couldn't tell for sure from reading some previous posts about this issue. I never ran lower than a 1/4 tank anyway, just for the principle of pump cooling. But then a few weeks ago I decided to try it and ran all the way down until the low fuel light/chime triggered, just to see for curiosity's sake how it worked out. No issues, pressure held fine all the while. What's the deal?
Old 05-18-2009, 01:11 PM

Some people get the draw straw in the tank the right length and don't have a problem, I'm saying if you draw from the canister you gotta plumb the AD return (or FASS or anything with a return line) to it as well.
What kinda setup you have Ace? Not familiar with the Eddy pump.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Ace
Banned

(Sorry to hijack! ) That's on the 1st Gen, you're proly not interested in that. Just a high-volume electric pump in parallel on that fuel system:

http://stuff.is-a-geek.net/PhotoAlbu...ics/CTD_96.jpg

Here's what's on the '07:

http://stuff.is-a-geek.net/PhotoAlbu...ics/CRD_28.JPG
Old 05-18-2009, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Fisherguy
He'll be fine drawing from the canister and just dumping the AD return into the tank?
Been there, done that, didn't work work for me, click the link in my signature man.
Me too! Although Will has a 100 and I, a 150, we have had similar 1/4 tank issues. The link to my resolve is in my sig as well. Although, we've done it slightly different (I retained my OEM pump) the result of no 1/4 tank issue is the same. We've discussed many things when we were doing our installs. Without a FP gauge, there are so many out there that are clueless that it is even happening to them.