Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

WHAT KIND OF CAMPER

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WHAT KIND OF CAMPER

LOOKING AT BUYING A NEW CAMPER. NEED TO KNOW WHICH ONE WOULD BE BETTER SUITED FOR MILD OFFROAD USE, BUMPER PULL OR FIFTH WHEEL. WHEN I SAY MILD I MEAN A GRADED DIRT ROAD ABOUT 8 MILES LONG DUSTY MOST OF THE TIME BUT GETS SLICK WHEN IT RAINS. I HAVE A POP UP NOW BUT WOULD REALLY LIKE TO GET A SMALL TO MEDIUM SIZE FIFTH WHEEL. WOULD A FIFTH WHEEL HOLD UP TO THE TWISTING OF A DIRT ROAD OR WOULD I BE BEST SUITED TO STICK WITH A BUMPER PULL? I PULL GOOSE NECK TRAILERS ALL THE TIME AND THEY SEEM TO BE ABLE TO HANDLE THE TWISTING OF A DIRT ROAD BUT I HAVE NEVER PULLED OR SEEN ANYONE PULL A FIFTH WHEEL OFFROAD SO I WOULD LIKE TO SEE WHAT YOU GUYS THINK. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!!
Old 08-08-2003, 08:10 AM

Re:WHAT KIND OF CAMPER

Welcome to the site. Plenty of folks will jump in and help before it is done with. By the way, capitals means you are shouting at someone. I have had both tounge pull and 5th wheel, and I prefer the fifth wheel. For the same lenght trailer, the fifth wheel takes a little less room to maneuver simple because part of the trailer is ove the truck bed, shortening the total lenght of the rig. The hitch being over the rear axle also reduces sway, and adds traction to the drive wheels. The flip side is that for a given length trailer with same floor plan, the tounge pull yields more floor space. With today's slide-outs, this is much less of a factor. My personal opinion is that the 5th wheel trailers handle better, but I will say that the tounge pulls have a lower profile and have less wind resistance which may give a little better mileage yield on fuel consumption. Others will jump in with other thoughts, I'm sure. Hope this helps. Happy camping. ;D
Old 08-09-2003, 03:13 AM

It comes down to your choice. Either type can handle the road you stated. Consider how much you will be pulling the trailer and if maintaining full use of the truck bed is a major factor.

Good luck with the decision and enjoy the trailer.

Jerry
Old 08-09-2003, 04:52 AM

Thanks for the replies. I will try to remember about the caps thing, just a habbit. I'm really leaning toward a fifth wheel. The way you guys talk about them it just seems the way to go. I'm looking at Keystone Sprinters and Gulfstream Makos. I'm looking at floor plans with bunkbeds. Does anyone have a Sprinter or a Mako, or does anyone have anything to say about them. Thanks again!!!
Old 08-10-2003, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With on-road use (I don't consider dirt to be off-road), you will be very happy with a fifth wheel.

If you ever do get off-road (something you would not drive a family car on), and we do sometimes, you will probably not like a fifth wheel. The high center of gravity and very high clearance requirements make them better suited for maintained roads.
Old 08-14-2003, 02:38 PM

A nice 5th wheel with bunks is the Sand Piper 30BHSS by Forest River. I have this model and love it. One of the reasons I like it is the fact that the bottom bunk is a full size bed with a regular mattress. Also, the bathroom is in the rear. Bottom bunk can accomodate two adults. Just my few cents.
Old 08-15-2003, 01:26 AM

Thanks chief3510 and thecatsfan. I have changed my mind. I want a jayco talon fifth wheel toy hauler now. I change my mind alot, but this seems to be the one my father likes. I'm a little concerned about the hitch weight on the thing (2030 lbs). Hey chief3510 I couldn't help but notice in your sig that your a fire chief, so is my dad. He is the fire chief of Pelham fire department in Pelham, Alabama, what the name of your department??
Old 08-15-2003, 02:40 PM

[quote author=wagontrain131 link=board=11;threadid=18134;start=0#msg172836 date=1060928765]
Thanks chief3510 and thecatsfan. I have changed my mind. I want a jayco talon fifth wheel toy hauler now. I change my mind alot, but this seems to be the one my father likes. I'm a little concerned about the hitch weight on the thing (2030 lbs). Hey chief3510 I couldn't help but notice in your sig that your a fire chief, so is my dad. He is the fire chief of Pelham fire department in Pelham, Alabama, what the name of your department??
[/quote]

With that kind of hitch weight on a stock 2500, you are pushing things a bit. My Sprinter goes 1680 hitch weight, which when loaded would still be pushing a 3/4 ton - but not as much as the 2030, which would be more when fully loaded with liquids, full fridge, etc. Be observant of your GCWR and GVWR listed on the driver side door jamb of your truck, and try not to go more than 5 - 10% over that in either category. You can go heavier to some degree with heavier duty rims and higher load range tires, but I wouldn't push it too far anyway.
Old 08-19-2003, 11:05 AM

Chief of Company 35 in Lyons Pennsyvania. A small volunteer departmentin southeastern PA about 50 miles from Philadelphia.
Old 08-19-2003, 10:33 PM

There is a company in Neb. that makes an adapter that mounts to the king pin on your fifth wheel so you can hook up just like your gooseneck, 2 5/16 ball. I am getting it installed on mine instead of the 5th wheel plate. It's rated at 30k and has polyurthene busings in it. Nice set up. You might want to look into it.
Heath
Old 08-19-2003, 10:40 PM

I have one of those and love it. Already had a ball in my truck. And it cost less than the 5ver hookup.
Old 08-22-2003, 10:02 AM

I also pull my fiver with a gooseneck conversion. Sales guy at one RV place told me not to do this due to instability problems (he also sold 5th wheel hitches). I have not had problem one, and it pulls great! The conversion is welded in place, however. 8)