Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Rhino behind a camper?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 10:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rhino behind a camper?

Ive been looking at fifth wheels and travel trailers. I am getting one to live in for the next couple or 3 years so I want a nicer one, and that rules out most toy haulers. So I am wondering, if I get a regular fifth wheel, can I pull a little 10' trailer with my rhino on it? It would weigh about 1600-1700 lbs. I am looking at 30-35' fifth wheels, park model bumper pulls about 39' (doubt I can pull behind that though), and regular bumper pulls about 28-32'. And rhino just barely wont fit in the back of my trucks.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:26 PM

It depends on the state. Some allow a 2nd trailer but it must be behind a 5th wheel trailer. Others allow it behind any kind of trailer. Still other states don't allow it at all.
There is usually a length limit as well. Of course that varies state to state also.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:49 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Texas allows doubles as long as the first is a 5th wheel type hitch and has brakes. The second can be on a ball and does not have to have brakes but is required to have saftey chains. Max trailer length in Texas is 53 feet.

I just went thru digging all this up not too long ago. I pull my pontoon boat behind my 5th wheel RV. 42 feet in trailer. About 21 feet of boat. Pulls like a dream. Passed tow cops on my first time out with this setup and they both looked right and me like they were saying "cool".

The only affects I can feel is when the boat goes over a bump, it tends to lift a little weight off the pin on the trailer and the tail of the truck rises slightly.

My biggest concearn was being able to make turns. It's no problem, other than the truck will be around the turn and you can look out the window and the boat still hasn't made the turn yet.

Backing takes a little to learn but is possible, although I'm not quite ready to back it all out of a Jack in the Box parking lot yet. You'll need to watch for a place to drop the small trailer first, park the rv, then go get the other trailer.

The worst part of it all was wiring the lights for the second trailer. RV's aren't wired for easy access to the lighting system in back. I had to remove each tail light, then run a wire from each inside the rv, being careful to hide it, then out the floor on each side and meet in the middle to create the second trailer pigtail. The hitch was easy. I've been welding on and off for 30+ years and my brother collects all kinds of scrap metal so I have some big angle iron to dig thru.

I'll see if I can upload a pic of mine all hooked up this weekend sometime.
Old 07-17-2009, 07:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw a rig last year that had a hinged dolly (not sure what else to call it) attached behind their LARGE 5er that carried their Rhino or equivalent. It connected to the 5er at 2 points so it was almost an extention of the RV itself but appeared to be a hinge connection so that it could flex when going through dips. It had a single axle under it to support it's own weight. It was set up to side-load a large atv, golf cart, or Rhino-type load. This is the closest that I could find at the moment but the one that I saw looked much more substantial.

Alternatively, if you get a travel trailer, you might look into one of the racks that lets you haul your Rhino on top of the bed as opposed to in the bed. I've seen them set up for 2 ATVs side by side on top of the bed sides so I'm sure that they probably make one for an oversize ATV like the Rhino on top of the bed sides.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:28 AM

You can pull a trailer behind a 5th all day long. I wouldn't want to go ball to ball though for a couple reasons. The first reason would be the legality of it state to state and the second would be cross winds. A 5th or goose would be easy though. There are some really nice 30-35 5th's out there with lots of luxury and a 10' trailer behind one would be a piece of cake. A Rhino on a trailer would be around 2500 lbs though pretty easy. My Rhino weighs right at 1500 but I have a rear seat and whole new cage plus other stuff that gets it up there in weight. A trailer such as a PJ 7710 or similar weighs around 1200 lbs with the 3500 lb axle. Not a problem just throwing it out there so we talk about real numbers. My dad pulls a 20 ft open bow I/O behind his 5th all of the time with out any incident.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:52 AM

I think some states even have laws regarding the length of the 5th wheel, i.e. no longer than 25' or so.
So many different states, so many different laws!!!

This chart is out of date, but you can see what I mean about the different regs.
http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm
Old 07-17-2009, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by 1-2-3
Texas allows doubles as long as the first is a 5th wheel type hitch and has brakes. The second can be on a ball and does not have to have brakes but is required to have saftey chains. Max trailer length in Texas is 53 feet.
Actually, any combo is allowed in TX. Does not have to be a 5er as the first trailer. 1st trailer doesn't even have to be an RV. Can be ball to ball, GN to ball. Max length for the entire rig can not exceed 65' legally, but my combo is 72' and I've never been stopped. I strung a complete wire harnes from my pickup back along the 5er frame to the receiver. I do not believe most RV wiring is up to the task of supporting all the lights on the second trailer. I think that all trailers in TX over 3000 pounds require brakes, but it might be 2500. If you intend to go out of TX, as others have stated, each one has different requirements and length limits.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:21 AM

Since you have an atv you have lots of gear you might not want in your house. Gas cans, lube, firewood, tools, air compressor come to mind.

Good luck with whatever you buy just post some pics.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ocassionally I pull ball to ball and am 74' when I have my TT and boat in tow. 65' is the legal limit but have never had any problems except parking. Whatever you pull, just make sure the tongue weight isn't too much (I always pick up on the tongue and if I can budge it, then its good). I would also beef up your 5er bumper to handle the extra push/pull forces and wouldn't even consider it if the bumper wasn't welded on.

On edit: Be careful towing and don't turn sharp because you can get the second trailer into the first...don't ask how I know.
Old 07-29-2009, 05:48 AM

Would it be possible to craft a platform (perhaps supported underneath with a single axle) affixed to the rear of the 5th wheel for the Rhino ?. That way, you would eliminate the "second trailer" because you would still only have one trailer.
Depending upon design, maybe even a large single dolly wheel (which would track on corners as trailer turned, might be an option.

There might be warranty issues, or perhaps the weight distribution on the fifth wheel, or the frame, would not support such an attachment, but that is how I would go. Less pivot points, etc.

I put my Rhino on the platform just forward of the Teardrop trailer (Little Guy) that I tow behind my Sprinter Class B. I use the teardrop for dry storage of gear, supplies, equipment, etc. It is a perfect setup for me (as with a Class B, one needs add'l storage when on an extended trip).

Of course, going down the road without the Rhino towing the teardrop, people probably think I was too stupid (or cheap) to buy one big RV so I had to have an addition.....
Old 07-29-2009, 12:35 PM

I have a new 5th wheel, thought about hooking a trailer behind it to tow my quads, and changed my mind when I read the manufacturer's warranty. Plainly states that frame warranty and structural warranty will be voided if I put any platforms, hitches, welds, etc. on the 5th wheel.

I'd check that and make sure you are comfortable first. I've seen 5th wheels with factory hitches mounted on the back end.