Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Line-X vs. Rhino

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2003, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Line-X vs. Rhino

Any suggestions on what spray in liner to use. What are the advantages or disadvantages of both?
Old 08-06-2003, 03:46 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts
Re:Line-X vs. Rhino

Did some investigation before I settled on Rhino. Did not appear to be much (if any) difference between them. Reason I settled on Rhino? The Rhino dealer was about a mile from the Dodge dealer.
Old 08-06-2003, 04:54 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Check both, they are similar, but different.
Line-X is harder and less textured, Rhino is slightly softer and (usually) more textured.
See which one you like better.
The installer is the key to a good job.
Look at several trucks he has done, not just pictures.

BTW I went with Line-X
Old 08-06-2003, 06:52 PM

locally, I've seen far more variability in the surface texture among the rhino trucks than I have the line-x trucks. So you really have two decisions: 1 is the material itself and the other is the sprayer/installer.

heavy things will tend to stick and bind up on the rhino more than the line-x, but that means the rhino will hold things from sliding better.

I went with Line-x because I liked the harder finish, and the installer here is very very good. I just didn't like the install quality of the rhinos I saw. also, I've seen far more sun-faced rhino liners than I have line-x.

Old 08-06-2003, 08:28 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I went with LineX. It is thicker on the side walls due to hot application. And it is harder. It can be rough on your knees if you are kneeling in the bed with shorts on. :'( But it sure does hold up. Some slight dulling from the sun, but I think there is something you can spray on it to brighten it back up. I did not go over the rails so I could use the plastic caps. A little more finished look.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:06 PM
KC

For me installation was the key, Line-x did a much better job, and you can use the bed right after there done! Price was better as well!

KC
Old 08-07-2003, 07:22 AM

The big difference is that the rhino is sprayed on cold. This makes it more uneven. I went with Arma Coat (similar to line-x) and due to the fact that I wanted over the rail coverage, I am glad that I went with the more consistant finish that apply the product hot provides. Another big difference that I saw was that it was easy to peel the corner up on the rhino coat. The biggest factor is how well the installer does his prep work. If it is not done right, none of the products will last.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:33 AM

I also went with Line-X due to the hot application. Hot application advantages are: it bonds to the surface better, it has a more even finish, it can be used right after application. Line-X has a "spray-on/wipe-off" conditioner that keeps the surface from dulling from UV like FiverBob mentioned. I had mine done over the bed rails, and had seen several trucks done by my installer before selecting him for the job; he does excellent work, so I selected him (he only does Line-X). I am very happy with the finish.
Old 08-07-2003, 07:53 AM

What is the typical thickness everyone is getting for the Line-X?

I ask because my old Rhino was 1/4" on the bed bottom and 1/8" everywhere else. My new Line-X seems to be about 1/8" everywhere.

I put two cuts or tears in my Line-X on the tailgate 48 hours after application just sliding a large chest freezer out of the bed. I never cut through my Rhino I had for 5 years.

I have no faith that proper prep work was done in my application, I can see oem paint adhered to the backside of the Line-X where the cuts are. >
Old 08-07-2003, 09:05 AM

If the installer properly preps your truck, you would know. I almost started to cry watching him take a sander to my 4 day old truck :'( He also did an awsome job on the taping. When he was done preping and before he sprayed, he had me look at it to make sure the lines were where I wanted them. As far as your cuts, Line-X should repair them at no cost. Another advantage of the hot spray is that it can be patched and made to look like new.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:38 AM

LINE-X is the way to go. It has a rougher surface area that means it will hold what you put in the bed better, it is very very bad on the knees though :'( :'(. What ever you decide to get make sure it is the BLACK, don't get it color matched to the truck. You will regret it later down the road, it is almost impossible to color match the repair area down the road.
I reccomend that you go over the rail and tailgate. If you don't agree then just go and look at various trucks beds and see how damaged their side rails and tailgates are because they were too cheap to pay the extra.
Well there is my .01 worth.
Old 08-07-2003, 03:25 PM

How much did you guys pay for lin-e install?
Old 08-07-2003, 09:22 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

$400 and pennies. Seems to me it was about $415.
Old 08-07-2003, 09:26 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts

$350 for Rhino over the rail.
Old 08-08-2003, 04:02 AM

I have the Line-X and am very happy with it Just don't spill ant Rotella Diesel fuel additive in it > Makesn it turn a wierd gray color Guess i can live with it :'( Never asked the dealer if it was repairable

Quick Reply: Line-X vs. Rhino