Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Rhino -vrs- Reflex Bed liners ????

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rhino -vrs- Reflex Bed liners ????

I need to make a choice on my bed linner. I have Rhino in a truck now and have been real happy with it, would be nice if the black would stay a little &quot;blacker&quot; though.<br><br>On the new dually I really would like to get it in red to match the truck. Talking to the Rhino guys they have to spray a UV protector over it to keep if from fading. They also said the the UV coating can be scratched off pretty easy if you actually use your truck so they don't recomend it.<br><br>Their is also a Reflex brand dealer in our area which I have never heard of. The products look good, not as soft as Rhino is but not hard like Line-X. They say that no UV coating is needed on their and their is not a fade problem with it. Even their black is suppose to stay black unlike the Rhino. Say they use a color injection system or something of the sort.<br><br>Also the Reflex is $130 cheaper then the Rhino, sounds too good to be true doesn't it ?????
Old 06-27-2003, 11:42 AM

Re:Rhino -vrs- Reflex Bed liners ????

The line-x seems to be most popular in these parts<br>
Old 06-27-2003, 12:41 PM

I don't like the Line-X, much too hard and abrasive for me, so that is not an option.
Old 06-27-2003, 05:47 PM

I have the Reflex. It is fairly good as far as adhesion goes, and it hasn't faded in the 5 years I had it without a topper on it, but I scraped a little of it off by accident while hauling a horse feeder around. I was told by the dealer that sprayed it in that they can color-inject a wide variety of colors other than black, but it's an additional cost, and that if I wanted a tougher bedliner, they could spray it twice, which would essentially double the thickness.<br>FWIW
Old 06-27-2003, 08:37 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Spray in bedliners <br><br>Are you sure you want a spray in? I'd rather, and do, have a plastic slide in bed liner. It will hold up much better over time, especially with dropping heavy stuff in there. The plastic absorbs the shock so you bed doesn't get bent/dented.<br><br>Chris
Old 06-27-2003, 08:57 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=Stamey link=board=7;threadid=16433;start=0#154285 date=1056764257]
Spray in bedliners

Are you sure you want a spray in? I'd rather, and do, have a plastic slide in bed liner. It will hold up much better over time, especially with dropping heavy stuff in there. The plastic absorbs the shock so you bed doesn't get bent/dented.

Chris
[/quote]

Next time you have a chance, take a look under that slide in plastic liner and see how much paint you have left.
I've had mine in for about a year, and it's already down to bare shiny metal in a lot of places.

My plan is to get a spray in, not sure on brand, then throw the drop-in back on it.

I run around shorts and barefoot a lot,
and the spray-ins tend to feel like 300 degree asphalt chips on the feet and knees.

The drop-ins are more skin friendly, but not paint friendly.

phox
Old 06-27-2003, 09:05 PM
Chapter President

I use both. Have spray in and plastic
Old 06-27-2003, 09:11 PM

Phox,<br>You are correct, that plastic liner does rub the bed a lot. I'm on the fence as to whether it will actually cause a problem down the road though. If the liner is constantly rubbing there, won't it keep rust from forming also? I'm not worried about the paint I'm worried about dents and rusting out. The bed liner covers the bed otherwise.<br><br>Chris
Old 06-28-2003, 12:07 AM

I like drop ins also ,think they are tougher then the spray in. But they don't work worth a darn with a Gooseneck ball now do they.... <br><br>As far as paint rubing off, just a gimick put out by the spray in guys in my opinion, it isn't going to hurt a darn thing in the long run. Like the paint would stay their if you didn't have a bed liner.
Old 06-28-2003, 07:58 AM

[quote author=Mopar_Mudder link=board=7;threadid=16433;start=0#154358 date=1056776864]<br>I like drop ins also ,think they are tougher then the spray in. But they don't work worth a darn with a Gooseneck ball now do they.... <br>[/quote]<br><br>You know, I've been thinking about that recently. I have seen a few designs of 5th wheel hitchs and believe those can be mounted with just a few holes cut in the bed liner, depending on the design you get. As far as GN goes, it seems like you could also cut the hole for the ball and leave the rest of the liner in tact. I haven't seen too may GN ball designs but I have heard there is one that will do 5th wheel and GN. I wonder if that one can be mounted without much cutting of the liner.<br><br>Chris
Old 06-28-2003, 08:08 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Stamey, that is exactly what I did with my GN. I just measured real close and used a hole saw slightly smaller than the ball shaft. (My GN is hard mounted to the frame and always sticks up) Put the liner back in place and jumped on it near the ball. Popped over and seals pretty good. I do not worry about my bed as the liner is there for cosmetic purposes only. Previous owner loaded a bobcat or something with tracks on it and crushed the bed pretty bad. One of these days I'll change it to a flat anyway, so....<br>Ed
Old 06-28-2003, 08:26 AM

Well cutting that hole for the ball in their is just an invitation for water and crud to get under their and that could cause problems. Plus you need holes for the safety hooks also. It just doesn't seem like a good option, I have seen it done and wasn't to impressed with how it looks.<br><br>Plus I have the turn over removable ball so that would leave a 4&quot; hole their when the ball isn't being used.
Old 06-28-2003, 08:43 AM

from what I have seen of colored spray ins I would NEVER do one. Just ugly and it seems they never match. black or gray. I have black rhino in my truck now and like the stickiness of it. It turns black again if you spray some westlys bleache white and scrub it just a little.<br><br>Overall I'm happy with my rhino, the main reason I went with rhino was so stuff wasn't sliding all over in the bed
Old 06-28-2003, 11:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a dropin liner which went 210,000 miles and 14 years in my old Dodge. It was an over the rail type and it did wear the paint off there every where it touched the body, but there were no problems with rust, even where holes were cut for anchors. No spayin could possibly be as tuff as a dropin. No rust - no dents - just lots of shiny bare metal when ever I took it out.

Quick Reply: Rhino -vrs- Reflex Bed liners ????