Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

new 5'er ...need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new 5'er ...need advice

So much info, so little time.....<br><br>Here is the story. I was pulling a 5,000lb, 24 foot Travel Trailer with a weight distibution hitch. I have sold that trailer and I am going to purchase a 29 foot 5'er. I have never owned or pulled a 5'er before so I need tips and advice. I have a Voyager brake controller but I am replacing that with a Prodigy controller based off of good reviewes and suggestions from this site. <br><br>My truck is a 2002 - 2500 HO 6spd shortbed. What kind of hitch should I look for? Is the truck stock height too tall? I remember reading about some trucks having to be lowered in order to tow a 5'er.<br><br>Please help,<br>Tim
Old 04-10-2003, 05:30 PM
ck1

Re:new 5'er ...need advice

you didnt mention if you have a 4x.....if not no biggie on the height thing but watch your cab...(you might need a sliding hitch).......you will love pulling a fver over a TT..turns a little tighter than a tt so make wide turns....other than that,,,,enjoy!
Cameron
Old 04-10-2003, 07:03 PM

Congrats on the 5er, you will enjoy towing it. Sometimes you will forget it's even there. <br> I'd recommend a slider hitch with your shortbed. You may never need it, but if you get into a tight corner, you'll be glad you have it. The Prodigy controller is a good decision. Not sure about your hitch height. I have a 4x4, 2001 and have no problems, but I've read in this board that some folks were running into problems. Maybe someone else will chime in. <br> Not sure if you have a Auto or Manual, but if an Auto, you might want to upgrade your tranny at some point, this also depends on the weight of your 5er. I would get some gauges as soon as possilbe to monitor your Cummins. Other than that, enjoy your new toy... ;D<br> Big dawg
Old 04-11-2003, 07:14 AM

The truck is a 4X4 6 spd. I have gauges on the A-pillar for Fuel pressure, EGT, and boost. The EGT I hope to have installed this weekend. The gauge is installed but the probe is not. I still have to drill the manifold and tap. I am changing the Banjo bolts this weekend also to the ones I got from Geno's. <br><br>I have heard that the slider hitch is a good idea, so thats probably what I will go with. The only thing I hate is they have to cut the bedliner to put the hitch rails in. Do I need a pigtail of some sort the connect the electrical from the 5'er to the factory 7 pin plug location under the bumper? Will I be able to pull with the tailgate up?<br><br>Tim
Old 04-11-2003, 07:52 AM
Chapter President

When they install your hitch they can wire for your 7 way connection...its a good ideal to have two 7 ways installed one at the rear bumper and one inside the bed
Old 04-11-2003, 09:02 AM

Tim,
The slider hitch will be needed if you get into tight places which is going to happen.
Check the length of the lead on the trailer. It may be long enough to reach the bumper as is. However, its much better to have a plug in the bed as the lead is not against the tailgate.
You will also have to check the height of the 5th. Many newer trailers are high enough for a 4wd as is. If not, then there may be adjustments on the shackle plates or it may be necesary to &quot;flip&quot; the axles to get the height up for the necessary 6 to 8 inches of bed clearance.
Put the tailgate up. If you leave it down you will punch a hole in the front of the trailer.
You'll love the fifth compared to a tt.

Bill
Old 04-11-2003, 09:05 AM
ck1

latitude....I personaly did not want a new plug installed in my new truck for two reasons...1 for looks....I have a bed rug bed liner that i cut to go around my hitch and didnt want to cut a hole on the side panel for an ugly plug...2nd...though many out there dont have problems with poor connections I didnt want to take the chance of that happening when you splice into the main harnass so i run the pig tail from the pin box under the fiver suspended via long springs (looped to hold the pigtail) and down to my factory plug at the rear bumper. I have no issues with it grabbing the truck when turning sharp nor does it hit the tail gate...I bought the springs at home repot for 4.00...much cleaner and reliable....my two cents<br>Cameron
Old 04-11-2003, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good points from everyone.<br> Most people will tell ya,,,,,,,,, &quot;once you have towed a 5er,,, you'll never go back to pulling a TT&quot;. ;D <br> I opted to remove the factory bedliner rather than cut it up. My rails run length-wise in the bed (RBW hitch) and the hitch base has to slide in from the rear of the truck. I sold the bedliner and want have the spray-in liner done. <br><br>Enjoy your new rig! ;D
Old 04-11-2003, 11:16 AM

The spray in liner is moving up the list of wants, but its still kinda high priced. Around $500 here is VA (color matched). As for the connector, I like the idea of only having one connection at the bumber. I guess I will fab some sort of pigtaile assembly and find a way to keep it off the tailgate. The spring idea sounds like a good idea, any picture by chance?<br><br>Thanks,<br>Tim<br><br>I am really looking forward to the camping season, now more than ever. This year will be the first year I will be pulling with the Ram, just bought it Sept. 2002.
Old 04-11-2003, 11:46 AM
ck1

latitude....look into a bed rug....VERY nice product...345.00 for our trucks...fits looks even better...my neighbor is a pool contractor and put one in his FERD and puts sand ,cement and basic junk in it then sweeps it out and viola...perfect...thats what sold me...doesent fade (some spray on deals do and again depending on the installer....rust pokes thru)...I am working a picture to show ya....here is the link...<br>www.bedrug.com .... it is inpervious to almost anything..go to my sig and click on my pictures. you can see sort of what I did for the pigtail (then again maybe not far distance)......working on new pictures (i am a car guy not a computer dude!!)<br>Cameron
Old 04-11-2003, 12:11 PM

Couldn't see the pigtail, but NICE setup. Your truck looks good. Mine is only a single, but I am sure it will do fine pulling the new 5'er. The bedrug look good, did you cut yours for the hitch?
Old 04-11-2003, 12:30 PM
ck1

thank you for the compliment!...yea...I had to cut the rug..that was the killer (looked so good before I cut) but the way I did it it looks CLEAN...I took the hitch out...left the two main bars on the floor and put the hitch on top of the rug and then cut just enough to let the hitch fall in the slots and then pushed the pins thru the hitch and the two main bars and turned them so that they held the rug tight aganst the bed floor so no worries about it blowing up for air getting in were I cut...the rug is the definit way to go IMHO...as far as the springs go...go to HOME REPOT and get the springs (at least 2) that are about a 1/2 or so in diameter and about a foot long and then attatch them to the bottom frame rail above your head..( you may have to drill...I got lucky and didnt have to due to the factory had some already there then run the pigtail as close to the frame as you can...tighter the better there then make the pig tail go to the the vertical portion (where your lp tanks are) put a spring up there just before it drops down there if you can....this keeps it away from your tailgate and allows plenty of turning room...anyway... i hope this helps...and hey...you have to look good going down the road you know!!!(sorry for the long drawn out explanaiton)...<br>Cameron
Old 04-11-2003, 12:39 PM

Yeah, you gotta look good passin those ferd's and heavy's, at least the back should be clean!!!!