Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Had my truck on the scales today,&...

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had my truck on the scales today,&...

When I'm fully loaded for hunting season,I'm grossing 10,650+/-lbs scale weight.I'm just under the 6000#'s on the rear,the front is fine.I'm wondering what the ACTUAL weight rateing for the truck is.I know that as a 2500,It's rated @9000#.BUT,I have installed air springs,& 3700# tires,& stuff.(check out the sig).Am I really overloaded?
Old 10-08-2006, 10:19 PM

Air springs wont increase your weight rating on the axles,, but at 6,000 pounds on your back axle you are legal. If you want,, go and ask your scale cops out there and see what they say. It works just like a trailer,, with 16 inch tires you can have more weight on it that if the trailer had 15 in tires. Scale cops go by tire sizes and tire ratings. Put it this way, when you buy say a kenworth, they dont know if you will be hauling a 40 foot trailer, or a super b trailer, or even if the trailer has 2 axles or 3 axles or more on it.

But if you are worried,, ask a scale cop and see
Old 10-08-2006, 10:33 PM

I'm not worried about the cops.It's a slide in camper so everything is in the trucks tires.The tires are rated for 3760lbs each.So that doesn't worry me.What I want to know is what the axle/brakes,etc. are capable of hauling.At the least my truck is now a 1 ton.& they have a GVW of 9900lbs.Not sure about the rear axle weight rateing.But the duelly is rated for a lot more.& they use the same axle.
Old 10-08-2006, 10:53 PM

I dont see why you are not legal, as I have seen lots of people now switching to 19.5 in tires to up the weights on there trucks, as the 19.5 in tires are around the 4,200- 4,500 weight range. I have seen lots of 3500 single wheel trucks going to them as they can haul more then.. From my experience all scale cops will look at tire ratings "IF" they pulled you in,, and I cant see why they would, as you are just a private person,, they look at the commercial guys more,, I know up in Canada,, they have 10,000 pound weight set at alot of scales, but Rv campers are exempt from them, they dont have the time to look at the travellers,, And no matter what you pull with a 3/4 ton or 1 ton, you aint going to do damage to the roads like the big rigs

Your axle and brakes are lots big enough to handle the weight, not a problem there,, like you said the single rear wheel and dually share the same axle,, only difference is the springs and 2 more tires
Old 10-09-2006, 02:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The frame, brakes, spring packs and axles are the same on the 2500, SRW 3500 and dually.

The SRW 3500 and Duallys have the 2 overloads. So other than tires they are identical.

Since you have the higher rated tires and air bags etc. on your 2500 you should be fine.

The GVW ratings are what the manufacturer is guaranteeing your truck is rated for. It has nothing to do with criminal law/traffic law. I guess if something went wrong and you were "overloaded" you "COULD" be held liable in a civil court.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by OutlawStorm
I dont see why you are not legal, as I have seen lots of people now switching to 19.5 in tires to up the weights on there trucks, as the 19.5 in tires are around the 4,200- 4,500 weight range. I have seen lots of 3500 single wheel trucks going to them as they can haul more then.. From my experience all scale cops will look at tire ratings "IF" they pulled you in,, and I cant see why they would, as you are just a private person,, they look at the commercial guys more,, I know up in Canada,, they have 10,000 pound weight set at alot of scales, but Rv campers are exempt from them, they dont have the time to look at the travellers,, And no matter what you pull with a 3/4 ton or 1 ton, you aint going to do damage to the roads like the big rigs

Your axle and brakes are lots big enough to handle the weight, not a problem there,, like you said the single rear wheel and dually share the same axle,, only difference is the springs and 2 more tires
They've held many a private traveller at the scales in Tete Jaune Cache British Columbia. Particularily those running sled decks, slide in campers, and pulling fifth wheels with half tonnes. Those guys go by what's stamped on the door plate. With them, you have two choices, reduce the weight (accomplished by dropping the trailer or second sled), or sitting and waiting.

My brother had first hand experience with this - I had to take the five hour drive to pick up his second sled while he waited for me. After we unloaded one sled, he had to go over the scale again to make sure he got enough weight off the rear axle - I ended up taking a couple fuel cans off him too and then they made me proceed over the scale as well. They're doing this in BC because too many guys have had wrecks by running with more weight than their vehicle is rated.

I hate to say it, but applaud the approach. While Alberta isn't as bad, the DOT's are starting to come on board with stopping vacationers and weighing them on portable scales now. I've seen it on two occasions in the past three months - these guys appeared to be grossly overweight as well - one was a bumper pull travel trailer behind a mini van and the other was a fifth wheel hooked to one of them Chevy / GM Canyon things.

Most 3500 SRW's are overweight with a "large" slide in camper on the back. Work has me travel to Nothern BC quite regularily and I've seen many of these set ups being weighed on portable scales by the BC DOT's.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:49 AM

My 05' DRW has a rear axle rating of around 9500# if memory serves me. I recall that my tire ratings add up to over 12,000#. There was about 6000# "available" on the rear axle (weighed the truck). I have the stock 17" wheels - E rated tires, but I am careful not to exceed my axle rating. That's why I wonder when guys get the hire rated wheels & larger tires - I thought one went by the lowest number, when looking at axles ratings, wheel ratings, tire ratings, and I thought the DOT did as well. As I said, with my current tires by rating I have over 3000# more capacity than my axle is rated for. Air bags don't increase that, they do help cushion and distribute load.
Old 10-09-2006, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Festus
They've held many a private traveller at the scales in Tete Jaune Cache British Columbia. Particularily those running sled decks, slide in campers, and pulling fifth wheels with half tonnes. Those guys go by what's stamped on the door plate. With them, you have two choices, reduce the weight (accomplished by dropping the trailer or second sled), or sitting and waiting.

My brother had first hand experience with this - I had to take the five hour drive to pick up his second sled while he waited for me. After we unloaded one sled, he had to go over the scale again to make sure he got enough weight off the rear axle - I ended up taking a couple fuel cans off him too and then they made me proceed over the scale as well. They're doing this in BC because too many guys have had wrecks by running with more weight than their vehicle is rated.

I hate to say it, but applaud the approach. While Alberta isn't as bad, the DOT's are starting to come on board with stopping vacationers and weighing them on portable scales now. I've seen it on two occasions in the past three months - these guys appeared to be grossly overweight as well - one was a bumper pull travel trailer behind a mini van and the other was a fifth wheel hooked to one of them Chevy / GM Canyon things.

Most 3500 SRW's are overweight with a "large" slide in camper on the back. Work has me travel to Nothern BC quite regularily and I've seen many of these set ups being weighed on portable scales by the BC DOT's.

I understand what you are saying here,, to many people do carry to big of trailers for the size on the truck, especially the guys with the 32 foot 5th wheels on a 1/2 ton truck. Now if B.C. goes by whats on the sticker, which I have not seen them check, but I dont live there, I just haul there 6 times or so a year, On my Sticker that is on my 2500 Dodge,, it has a axle rating of 4,400 pounds on front axle, and 6084 pounds on the rear axle. add thise 2 together and 10,484 pounds. This is above the 8,800 GVW posted, and like I said in the other thread, I have many times been pulled into the scales and was between 5,800 and 6,200 on the back axle, and have never been fined or had to sit.

But you would be more up and up on the B.C. laws being you live there, personally I hate going into that province, but hard to say no to money LOL
Old 10-09-2006, 01:51 PM

Here in Idaho the D.O.T. goes by tire width. 600 lbs per inch
Old 10-09-2006, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by OutlawStorm
I understand what you are saying here,, to many people do carry to big of trailers for the size on the truck, especially the guys with the 32 foot 5th wheels on a 1/2 ton truck. Now if B.C. goes by whats on the sticker, which I have not seen them check, but I dont live there, I just haul there 6 times or so a year, On my Sticker that is on my 2500 Dodge,, it has a axle rating of 4,400 pounds on front axle, and 6084 pounds on the rear axle. add thise 2 together and 10,484 pounds. This is above the 8,800 GVW posted, and like I said in the other thread, I have many times been pulled into the scales and was between 5,800 and 6,200 on the back axle, and have never been fined or had to sit.

But you would be more up and up on the B.C. laws being you live there, personally I hate going into that province, but hard to say no to money LOL
I don't live there, and never want to live in BC. Work just travels in into the Northern part of the province often. The big joke is that the abbreviation stands for "bring cash".

I have no idea where you cross, but the three areas that have gotten a reputation for this kind of stuff are Sparwood, Tete Jaun Cauche, and Dawson Creek (this scale has recently been closed and all the DOT's are roving now, but the scale still does exist and they hold inspections there often).