Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Do you have to stop at the scales w/ a personal vehicle/trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2002, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have to stop at the scales w/ a personal vehicle/trailer?

Just wondering. I have a new 30' enclosed car hauler and am not sure if I should bother stopping or not. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. Has anybody gotten into trouble for not stopping??? I personally haven't had them chase me down yet for not stopping but I can't seem to find the right person at DOT to tell me the regulation for who has to stop..
Old 10-16-2002, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Do you have to stop at the scales w/ a personal vehicle/trailer?

I've been pulling my GN for over three years now and have never stopped. I have been told as long as you are not commercial, you do not stop. Just what I've heard.
Old 10-16-2002, 12:09 PM

You don't have to stop at any scales. DD4x4 is correct, commercial vehicles and semis only! Someone else had said some state, Texas maybe?, says &quot;NO PICKUPS&quot; on the scale signs.... <br><br>Tony
Old 10-16-2002, 12:12 PM
Administrator

They will get pi, um, peed off if you go through just to see what you weigh and will more than likely find something to hassle you about then.
Old 10-16-2002, 01:59 PM

If you don't have at least a 24k plate on your truck...don't bother. That is what I was told by DOT.
Old 10-16-2002, 02:56 PM
Administrator

I've seen signs that say &quot;unlicensed vehicles must stop&quot;<br>so that would lead me to believe if you have vehicles on that trailer you better stop.<br><br><br>phox
Old 10-16-2002, 06:56 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Well I certainly feel much better now! <br> This is the problem no doubt, just no uniformity from state to state. How can the non commercial driver possibly keep up when even the DOT doesn't know for sure?
Old 10-16-2002, 07:03 PM

Each state is different, but generally you have to stop if you have a commercial vehicle. Some states let empty flat beds go past as well as empty dumps, others with fine you for passing. The Alabama sign says &quot;All Commercial Vehicles and trucks must stop&quot; but light vehicles go by all the time. Georgia says &quot;All Trucks Must Stop&quot; but again many lighter vehicles go by as I have done many times. Tennessee is bad and will come get you. Got into a brake problem on Cahon (spelling ?) Mountain and smoked past the scale at about 90, the scale master stood in the doorway with his hands on his hips. Nice little hill to slow you before you hit I10. I just plated my truck for 33,000 pounds so don't dare go past one now. Hey, now I legally pull the 30,000! ;D
Old 10-16-2002, 09:22 PM

If your not commercial you do not have to stop at the scales and if you'll put a NOT FOR HIRE on the side they should not bother you. When those signs say trucks they usaully mean the big boys or commercial only. Just make sure your drivers license corrusponds with your weight class with the trailer. If your over 26k hauling gvw than you will need a non-commercial class A license thats what class it is here in Texas
Old 10-17-2002, 10:53 AM

Haulin In Dixie,<br><br>I'm new here so pardon my ignorance.<br>How did you reg. your truck for 30k? The DMV wouldn't allow any GCVR at all on the reg. only GVW. They would only go as high as the title read. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-17-2002, 11:01 AM

good point Rob -- I was also wondering how you even register your vehicle for a specific weight?! Do you get commercial plates then or something? Do other states put an actual weight on the registration? Mine just has a weight/fee catagory. No specifics?! ??? <br><br>Tony
Old 10-17-2002, 03:04 PM

In WA state you can register your truck for whatever you want. You must register it for at least the truck weight. Each 2000 lb increment costs you an extra $10 per year on your registration. I registered my 5600 lb (dry &amp; empty) rig for 8000 lb. They claim if you are ever caught on the road with a GVW which exceeds your registered weight you can be fined. I made the mistake of mentioning I haul a horse trailer which with it's tong weight, full tank of gas, and cab full of occupants would put me over the 6000 lb level. The next level was 8K which, like I said, costs me about $10 more a year. I don't see how they would ever catch you but if you were ever pulled over for anything, I guess they could check your registered weight to see if it was resonable.
Old 10-17-2002, 04:43 PM
Administrator

The DMV here would not let me go over 20000 pounds on mine and had to prove that the truck was rated at that from the manufacturer.
Old 10-17-2002, 06:18 PM

The weight that the DOT goes by is the 5th wheel hauling weight and the trailer hauling weight. The 3500 gooseneck weight listed is 10500. this figure plus your trailer rating AKA mine is registered for 30k. They usaully go by the axles 2-10k=20k then trucks 10.5 gives you 30.5 total gvwr. Two 7k axles=14k add truck 24.5 your under class A requirements. Three axles at 7k your over. It is very complicated and it seems no two officials give you the same answer. As long as your under 26k they shouldn't mess with you. My truck is registered for 2k in the bed. That has nothing to do with your trailer you haul.

Quick Reply: Do you have to stop at the scales w/ a personal vehicle/trailer?