Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

elect. brake controller, new style?? wiring problems?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 11:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
elect. brake controller, new style?? wiring problems?

The 05 I am getting has the tow package with 7 wire and I will need it almost right away. I need to get brake controller on it and because i tow 3 different things with VERY different brake characteristics i though that having the new style digital readout type might be nice so I can write the settings down for each trailer. DIGITAL OR NOT give me your opinion/problems/ with brake controllers. If your really proud of the way you installed one send a pic to me at all4trux@snip.net ,please. thanx , DAVE
Old 07-27-2005, 08:00 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
You will open up a can of worms with that one...

I really like my Brakesmart. They are expensive, but I don't think I will ever have anything else. It's action is really smooth, almost like the trailer isn't there. I don't even adjust it between pulling the toy hauler fully loaded and pulling it empty with empty tanks, so I think it would likely work well for you.

The braksmart T's a sensor into the hyd system of the truck, and applies the trailer brakes in proportion to the pressure of the truck's brake fluid.

Gain is easily adjustable. Even with the gain turned down the controller can still apply full power to the trailer brakes when you need it, you just have to mash on the brake pedal harder to get it.

Disadvantages: There always seems to be a backlog of orders, they are expensive, and installation is more complicated (but still not a big job).

If I had to pick a second choice, it would probably be the Jordan, that reads pedal movement with a linkage.

I'm not a big fan of the controllers that sense deceleration, though some people have had good luck with some of them. I would not get one of the time delay based ones (again).

If you go Brakesmart, contact them now and see how long it would take them to ship one.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:05 AM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jeff is correct. you will get plenty of opinions on this subject. i personally have a Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller on mine and i have had real good luck out of it. it has the digital read-out on the controller so you can set it for different loads. i have the same situation as you (hauling different weights) and it is nice being able to set it and forget it. the action is very smooth and i couldn't be happier.

just one more opinion though.

britt

Old 07-27-2005, 08:00 PM

hey guys i was JUST looking at the prodigys on ebay for $100. is that reasonable for this model? ANY trouble at all with wiring it up??? the ABS and air bags WARNINGS things in the instructions scared the crap out of me when i did my 97 Chevy.

I also saw that the TAP BREAK -FORCE has a mating plug to existing wiring.

JUST FOR information. anyone else that is considering any towing products like hitches 7 such, cal 1-800WEAVER-D and they'll send a free catalog. excellent prices. thanx, DAVE
Old 07-27-2005, 08:42 PM

Ive Got the Prodigy. Although I really don't have any miles on it, I can say install was a breeze. If you ordered the tow package, your truck should come with a harness. Mine was in the glove box. I mounted my break control in the cubby hole under the AC controls, followed the wiring instructions, and plugged into the connector down by the parking brake cable. Done deal, works great, looks cool.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:17 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Brakesmart, it will out perform all others in ANY situation, definately worth the money
Old 07-30-2005, 04:26 PM

so where are you mounting these on the new trucks? on the removable knee panel?? not as much room in the new trucks, thanx , DAVE
Old 07-30-2005, 04:33 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Yeah, I put mine down on the right side of the wheel on the knee panel...
Old 08-01-2005, 08:40 AM

Brakesmart is the best IMHO .....

the Tekonsha Prodigy is another real good one ... try here for a price WWW.rjays.com
Old 08-03-2005, 09:54 PM

You mentioned your '05 has the factory tow package. That being the case, it will come with four wire plug that hooks onto the controller, then plugs into a blue plug under the dash on the left side. The plug includes a sensible wiring diagram that tells you exactly which wire on the plug goes to which on your controller. Easy install.

BTW, don't let your dealer SELL you the plug and diagram. It's part of the tow package. The dealer in Florida that I bought my '03 hemi 1500 from TRIED to do that. Claimed the new trucks didn't come with 'em & I have to buy it from the parts department for $20. I pulled out the tow package info & showed the Sales Manager that DC furnished the plug & told him that I knew he was trying to rip me off & he could keep his truck. Got the plug included. AS IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN!!!

Brand of controller? I think mine says UHaul on it, but not sure. Works fine as far as I know. All I pull is a single axle bike trailer (yes it has brakes) or a 24 foot enclosed car trailer. Nothing really demanding.
Old 08-04-2005, 05:49 PM

BrakesSmart, ESPECIALLY if you are towing different trailers. You won't need to keep resetting it every time you change trailers and the default settings work fine 99% of the time. Only problem is that you may have to wait to get one.

Casey
Old 08-04-2005, 05:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the Jordan Ultima Controller. It connects to the brake pedal for stopping force, whereas quite a few of them out there rely on inertia.

Mike
Old 08-04-2005, 06:25 PM

Brakesmart is not taking any orders until a new manufactor
can be located. For more info go to:

www.brakesmart.net
Old 08-05-2005, 04:16 AM

Did a lot of research. Brakesmart is probably the best.
Unfortunately, as Tom says - not taking orders (they were
always backlogged).
Second choice - as already mentioned is Prodigy. Look for
a "deal" which includes the "brand specific" harness.
Shouldn't even be a price difference!
Then you don't need to mate the "trailer wiring harness" that
was in your glove compt from Dodge, to the "generic harness"
that comes with all the Prodigys.

It's very quick and easy - plug in the two connectors - one to
the Prodigy the other to the connector under the dash,
No wire splicing, crimp connectors, matching colors, etc.
Wires are "bundled" and wrapped.
True "plug & play"!
Comes with two different types of brackets.
Chose your location - mount it. Done!
JC