Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Certain rental company - bad news

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 06:48 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Re:Certain rental company - bad news

Had the same experience with the "U" rental company.
Rented car "Dolly" drove to pick up daughter's car, discovered wheel tiedown strap cut. Drove back, exchanged dolly, demamnded 1/2 price off rental, got discount & new "Checked over REAL closely by me" dolly, picked up car.

I STILL won't let their Lot Jockeys hook up the trailer to my truck. But now I check the rental unit out with a fine tooth comb.
Old 04-05-2003, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

&gt; Hay had the same thing happen with the U company here in Reading Pa. I rented a little trailer to haul a new bed home in (cause it was raining an snowing) I didn't want to get it ruined. Anyhow the lights didn't work an they wanted to know if I didn't mind towing it with out lights cause the kid didn't know how to fix them, I said I would fix them but would have to charge them for the time, then the girl at the counter said I could use the trailer If I fixed the light right then an there :she didn't think I could fix them: so I fixed them right there, just the ground wire was broken off on there 4 prong plug just striped the wires back an rapped them together.<br> Amazing how a ground helps <br> GOT THE TRAILER FOR FREE <br> They need to hire some reliable help.<br> Bob NOW I'M ;D
Old 04-05-2003, 08:20 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been there, done that, bought my own. I don't know how they stay in business. Got the same treatment and same attitude.
Old 04-05-2003, 09:23 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts

I have had the same experience with this company when I wanted to haul a car. The second unit I got was not much better but at least it worked--sorta. Enough for what I need at that time. Over the years have rented different things from them and not one rental has been perfect, not even a brand new trailer I rented once. I do not think they ever check anything.
Old 04-05-2003, 10:28 PM

I've rented trailers and stuff in the last couple of years from a couple of different rental companies, and haven't had a bad experience. Since you didn't have to rent a truck to pull the trailer you rented, I know you who you didn't rent from.

Not all McDonalds, Pizza Huts or KFC's are created equal either. Though we like to think they are.

One thing you need to keep in the back of your mind is &quot;expect what you inspect&quot;. Unfortunately, I fear that most folks are not very discriminating in their expectations. I've been called &quot;**** retentive&quot; in my behavior before, but thats normally because I've been &quot;burned&quot; once before. Maybe thats why you too carry extra chains - &quot;just in case??&quot;. Buyer beware is always in effect.

On a positive note Jack, I have the feeling that you helped that kid on the lot grow up a bit. And every little bit helps - subtle or not. Thats what its all about.

I look forward to some pics when the Ford is finished.

Old 04-05-2003, 11:31 PM
Administrator

Jack:<br><br>Do yourself a favor and spend the extra bucks and get the dual tandems. I bought my 30 footer with just the two single tire axles and now wish I would have gotten the duals. Just a little extra insurance. I haul my 8000 pound JD 730 or the 8000 R Model with 1200 pounds of wheel weights and one of my Farmall H's at 4000 pounds at the same time and the trailer is pushed tire wise. The truck will handle it easily and the frame on the trailer will but the tires are pushing it. This load makes for a gross just under 26000.
Old 04-06-2003, 07:11 AM
Chapter President

[quote author=Jack Thorpe link=board=11;threadid=13232;start=0#124645 date=1049598037]<br>I think my father-in-law and I are going to go halvsies on a 25-30 ft gooseneck. He's going to be getting an '03 Cummins soon. PLUS, I can store it at his house and not have to worry about it except when I need it It'll be nice while we're working on the Ford restoration too <br>[/quote]<br><br>Jack<br>Always buy more trailer then you think you need...because at some point you'll wish it was just a bit bigger or could handel a little more of a load....plus resale of bigger trailers hold there valve more then the flooded market of smaller trailers....justmy.02cents
Old 04-06-2003, 07:39 AM
Administrator

Echo what pappyman says. Trailers are like garages, you never build them big enough.
Old 04-06-2003, 11:58 AM
Banned

I feel some of the blame for poor rental equipment can be put back onto the consumer. We push and push for lower and lower prices so that the maintenence goes out the window. They won't hire someone experienced at 20 bucks an hour when they can get some &quot;kid&quot; for minimum wage. Ever looked at some of the junk trailers that are for sale these days (utility trailers I'm talkin about) They are cheap price but hardly have any paint on them, alignments are off, wiring is a joke etc. But they sell because the consumer wants price price price... Construction rentals are the same boat. U gotta start a saw before u leave the shop to make sure it works. I built my own trailer in 1993 and only thing I had to do to it was paint it once (2001) and new lights (2001) I would never get that kinda life outa a bought trailer for the same $. They wanted 12500 for a so-so factory trailer, I built mine heavier and better for 6600. I use R***r or Pen***e for trucks when I need them and have had great vehicles from them. But they are more expensive than UH***.
Old 04-06-2003, 11:23 PM

Just a little heads up on the dual tandam trailers. Indiana is trying to pass a new law that any trailer with dual tandams will require DOT registation and the hauler will also be required to have DOT registration and #'s displayed. <br><br>We have 2 dual tandams and they are great trailers they are both registered with the DOT and all our trucks have DOT registration and #'s. What I do is use the registration form our V10 2500 Dodge, I just put the magnetic stickers on my truck when pulling the trailer. I've only been stopped one time by DOT and that was for not having any tie downs on a load of round bails. I had 11 on the flat deck and 2 on the deck over of the goose neck. I strapped the two on the deck over down but didn't have enough straps for the others. : I don't think 2,200lb bails are just going to roll off the trailer but he wasn't liking it. <br><br>Jack if you are thinking of just using your trailer for little work, (under 12,000lbs) you might want to check out a lowboy goose neck. (deck between the wheels) I have a friend that owns a nice unit he hauls his skidsteer on. Much easier to load and unload than a deck over trailer. 8) <br><br>DB
Old 04-07-2003, 01:01 AM

I rented an enclosed trailer from the U place in winter to get some stuff home dry. They would not let me hook it up and insisted that they do it themselves. I was in a hurry and figured after all the fuss they made about doing it properly themselves, it would be done right. After all how hard is it really. Well I pulled out and poured the coal to her as the 2 lanes were merging. Hit a bump and felt a big jerk...and looked back to see the trailer make a hard right into a parked car They hadn't locked the coupler to the ball Well after all was said and done the cop wrote up the company for having improperly rated links on the safety chains to boot. Glad I took their insurance on it as it did 9K damage to a mustang. Lesson learned...NEVER leave without checking everything yourself :-[ :-[