Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Air Lift's

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 07:20 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Air Lift's

I'm going to 4Wheel Parts to buy the Air Lift's while they still have them for 20% off.

My question: Will the set for the 3500 fit my 2500? (Kit #2220) I have the overload springs, and the set for a regular 2500 says you have to remove the springs, but for the 3500 you can leave the springs. I have the Dana 80 and can not tell any difference between mine and the 3500.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:27 PM
Chapter President

There is a kit that fits the 2500 without removing the springs. Now, I need to find someone with a drill motor that will drill the frame.
Old 02-23-2006, 03:43 PM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
A conventional 120v drill will drill the frame just fine but I don't have any idea why you would still want your overload springs if you are installing Airlift Superduty bags. They will make the overloads obsolete and have a much higher weight carrying capacity....
Old 02-23-2006, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airlift Superduty bags set under the bump stops you remove the bump stops.They do not set on top of the leafs the i have them on my truck with onboard compresor and digital remote up front keeps a min pressure and will level the truck while your loading a trailer or whatever on the truck.Just make sure somebody has real small hands to help install.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:24 PM
Chapter President

I'm not worried about load capacity or ride. I just looking for something to take a little of the "roll" out when carrying my cab over camper.

Somewhere, but I don't remember where, I saw an advertisement for spacers that engage the overloads sooner. That would probably do what I'm looking for......if I could remember where I saw them.
Old 03-05-2006, 08:11 PM
Chapter President

Well, I got the Firestone air bags on yesterday. The installation was pretty straight foreward, but it did take a few hours. As the saying goes "The next time, it will be easier." They do go on without taking the overload springs off, but the bags are at the 5 inch minimum highth. I went ahead and ran the air lines to the rear plate, but may move them to the fuel filler later if I can convienc myself they'll be easy to get to.

I have them set on 18# with no load. You could see the truck raise when I aired them up. I've only driven about 60 miles on the highway, and really couldn't tell much difference in the ride. I guess the real test will be when I load up the cabover camper.

Pardon the cell phone pictures quality.

Old 03-13-2006, 04:54 PM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

Originally Posted by crobtex
I'm not worried about load capacity or ride. I just looking for something to take a little of the "roll" out when carrying my cab over camper.

Somewhere, but I don't remember where, I saw an advertisement for spacers that engage the overloads sooner. That would probably do what I'm looking for......if I could remember where I saw them.
I put the firestone ride rites on my dodge cummins 2500. I have a 12 ft camper dry wieght of 3200 lbs.This is all I have done I drive through the rocky mountains in B.C. Canada. I am grossing about 10,500. I put 80 psi in my 245/70/16 tires and 70 psi in the Firestone air bags. It is rock solid I mean it has not scarred me once. As any truck with a slide in cornering is not at wot. And the air bags keep the unit solid at the camp site no need to set down the jacks, and if it is a bit off level and there is an air compesor just air one side or both up to level.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:21 AM

Wrong plate mounting

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][U][B]The bottom mount plate for the airbag should be bolted to the two "overload" springs only and should not have those LONG bolts going to the bottom. The way you have it you are trying to compress the overloads with those long bolts. Go the Firestone's website for installation and they will show you this.

Well, I got the Firestone air bags on yesterday. The installation was pretty straight foreward, but it did take a few hours. As the saying goes "The next time, it will be easier." They do go on without taking the overload springs off, but the bags are at the 5 inch minimum highth. I went ahead and ran the air lines to the rear plate, but may move them to the fuel filler later if I can convienc myself they'll be easy to get to.

I have them set on 18# with no load. You could see the truck raise when I aired them up. I've only driven about 60 miles on the highway, and really couldn't tell much difference in the ride. I guess the real test will be when I load up the cabover camper.

Pardon the cell phone pictures quality.

Old 03-17-2006, 05:37 AM
Chapter President

Thanks for the heads up. That'll be easy to fix and is probably the reason my ride is not much better. Guess I wasn't paying close enough attention to the directions.

Good first post. Welcome to DTR.
Old 03-17-2006, 11:14 AM

Crobtex,

I put my Firestone's on last week. Mine are a little different as they are actually installed inside the leaf pack and sit right on top of the axle. I don't think you'll notice any improvement in ride quality while empty, at least I didn't. However when I loaded up the 5th wheel I noticed a HUGE improvement. That's when it counts!!
Old 03-22-2006, 12:21 AM

You're welcome. I just bought my Ride Rites and they will be put on my 01 dually next week. I researched them before buying and studied the instructions on Firestone's website which is why I spotted your installation problem right away. Two weeks ago I had my fun installing the B&W turnover ball hitch. Like they say the second time doing any job is always quicker and easier. I leave the middle of April to go and pick up the dual tandem gooseneck flatbed trailer I ordered from Oklahoma. Then have already booked a full load back to Washington from Missouri to pay for expenses.
Dondi
Old 03-22-2006, 05:00 AM
Chapter President

Sounds like a pretty good plan.

I'm sure you have already looked, but be careful if you have to drill the frame on the drivers side. I had to tiewrap the brake line to keep it from rubbing on the bracket bolt. The only thing I don't like is that the bags barely rub my wheelwell liners, and I don't want to cut up the liners. I may sell these to someone without liners and try the inside the spring set.

Good luck and be careful on your trip.

Originally Posted by ncmech
You're welcome. I just bought my Ride Rites and they will be put on my 01 dually next week. I researched them before buying and studied the instructions on Firestone's website which is why I spotted your installation problem right away. Two weeks ago I had my fun installing the B&W turnover ball hitch. Like they say the second time doing any job is always quicker and easier. I leave the middle of April to go and pick up the dual tandem gooseneck flatbed trailer I ordered from Oklahoma. Then have already booked a full load back to Washington from Missouri to pay for expenses.
Dondi
Old 03-22-2006, 06:41 AM

I may sell these to someone without liners and try the inside the spring set..
hmmm... Keep me in mind please? I'm looking to ditch all my overloads (including the big one on the bottom of the pack) to help empty ride quality.. (Wife gets carsick)
Old 03-22-2006, 06:52 AM
Chapter President

I'll let you know.