Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Air bags on trailer axles?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 04:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air bags on trailer axles?????

Is this possible? I am trying to sell my enclosed car hauler and one of the reasons is that I sometimes have trouble getting into a driveway if there is an incline because the trailer sits so low. If there was some way to raise the trailer when I needed and then lower it back down afterwards that would help me a lot. I know this is available for the full size moving trailers.

It's the trailer in my gallery. If anyone has any other ideas please let me know. I'm thinking about taking it to the trailer shop to see if they can help if I can't come up with anything......

Thanks
Old 02-19-2005, 05:48 AM
Chapter President

This mite not be a fix for you....but....my trailer is low too its a 44ft er....I have skid wheels at the rear (small heavy duty casters wheels) welded to the frame....this stops my trailer from digging into the asphalt when backing up a incline
Old 02-19-2005, 09:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A couple of air suspension vendors for trailer-type RVs come to mind - Kelderman and Trail-Air.

Rusty
Old 02-19-2005, 10:01 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
The casters are the simplest and probably the most fail safe way to go.

A friend of mine welded skids on his car hauler...3" wide flat bar. about one inch off the bottom of the trailer...used them often. Sounded brutal. LOL

HHtrailers.com does air bags on their trailers.

I am looking at doing that on my dual tandem trailer for a better ride.
Old 02-19-2005, 10:20 PM

Thanks guys. I like the caster idea but when I back up I'm usually empty and when I load it up with furniture it sits even lower. I wonder if it's a good idea..

I thought about the skid plate option too. I just don't want to tear up someone's driveway.
I had the problem again today. I was moving someone(making lots of $$$ ) but I couldn't back up the driveway thus we had to carry or dolly everything about 30 extra feet to the trailer. Sure would have been nice to get closer but we were working by the hour so it's almost hard to complain.....
Old 02-21-2005, 08:20 AM

Not much help here, but my 33' has skid plates welded on the bottom. I would like the caster idea. What size casters? The ones at home depot? What about fliiping the axle under the spring, unless of course there torsion axles.....
Old 02-21-2005, 08:37 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
One thing you might consider with adding casters to the rear of the frame would be tweaking the frame by having all the weight suported on a portion of the frame not really designed to carry that load.
"Bags" or ramps sound like the only real options.
Old 02-22-2005, 04:18 AM

My trailer has a pretty big overhang behind the axles so tweaking the frame is definitely possible if I were to do this. I could probably make some long ramps for under $100.00 but then I would have to lug them around all the time and if you don't hit them just right it could cause a huge problem...... I wonder if I could just buy taller tires? I was also thinking about getting heavier axles so I could haul more weight. With the 7000lb axles you get the 8 lug wheels and I'm sure the tires would be taller right?

Did I mention that I was making a lot of $$$ this past weekend??
Old 02-22-2005, 02:50 PM

If you're using the trailer as a furniture hauler, why not just lift the suspension? No need to worry about loading a low slung car...

If it's got that POS torsion suspension under it, replacing it with an equalized spring suspension its well worth the cost. The torsions are easily bent- just wack a curb once, or hit a deep pot hole too fast, and you'll see.

I needed to lift my cargo trailer 4 inches, and the trailer repair place replaced the weak torsion suspension with an equalized spring suspension and straight axles for $650.