Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Swapping out dayton style trailer axles for new axles

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 10:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Swapping out dayton style trailer axles for new axles DOT Q's

Need some info on what is legal. I'm going to be swapping to newer style axles rated at #5200 each. (Are #5200 axles too much overkill?)

1. It is a 20ft enclosed trailer and will haul my mustang.

2. Do I need a breakaway box?

3. Do both axles have to have brakes or is it legal to just run with one of the axles with brakes (i'm getting electric brakes)?

4. Will I need to run new springs with the new axles? It currently has double eye springs but only a single leaf.

5. My new hubs will be 6 lug. Any suggestions on what vehicle to get some good wheels off of?

Thanks.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why are changing out the axles. If I were changing out my axles I would be looking at a torsion set. But that is me. Legal or not I would also want both axles to have brakes, easier to do it first then wish you woulda done it after the fact.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:33 AM

torsion axles are out of my price range. The regular axles will do just fine for what I want to do. BTW, what is better about the torsion axles (even though I'm not buying them)

I'm changing the axles to get rid of the crappy dayton style mobile home axles. I dont trust them.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:25 PM

Well the torsions are nice because there is no shackels movement in the springs. I am sure there are other reasons, anyway on the other topic, what I did on my axles was take them out and cut off the spindles. we used a cutoff saw and actually made them a bit narrower then normal but that was our choice. then welded a 1/2 plate on with 4 holes to attach new spindles and brakes. In my case I was really scrounging at the time of building my trailer I purchases front drums and spindles off a 72 ford truck, well 2 trucks and use a surge hyd. brake system. its a 16' car trailer and I just love the surge brakes, they work so smooth and no adjusting gain for when your empty or loaded. Also those mobile home axles are really heavy duty at least the ones I used. You might be able to save some cash by just buying the spindles and drums even if you pick electric ones.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:24 PM

I'm pretty sure you legally need a breakaway switch and battery. I'm not sure if you legally need brakes on both axles, but you'll definitely WANT them.

If there's some way to put new spindles and brakes on the actual mobile home axles I'm sure that'd be fine, but I have no idea. Electric trailer brakes are actually amazingly cheap. I wouldn't mess around with rims and tires that aren't trailer-specific. For trailers, they're beefed up in special ways because they don't get subjected to the same kind of forces as they would on regular vehicles.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:27 PM

I did some checking on pricing out individual parts such as: Spindles, drums, and brakes so I could weld new spindles on the end of the existing axles.

To my surprise, it was only about $100 to $150 cheaper to go that route as to just buy new axle assemblies (unless I do as you did and get them from a truck and run surge brakes)
Old 12-21-2007, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Machinos
I wouldn't mess around with rims and tires that aren't trailer-specific. For trailers, they're beefed up in special ways because they don't get subjected to the same kind of forces as they would on regular vehicles.

I am only going to buy the 6 lug steel WHEELS from the junkyard.

I am going to buy NEW trailer specific tires to put on them
Old 12-21-2007, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by RRAMctd
Well the torsions are nice because there is no shackels movement in the springs. I am sure there are other reasons, anyway on the other topic, what I did on my axles was take them out and cut off the spindles. we used a cutoff saw and actually made them a bit narrower then normal but that was our choice. then welded a 1/2 plate on with 4 holes to attach new spindles and brakes. In my case I was really scrounging at the time of building my trailer I purchases front drums and spindles off a 72 ford truck, well 2 trucks and use a surge hyd. brake system. its a 16' car trailer and I just love the surge brakes, they work so smooth and no adjusting gain for when your empty or loaded. Also those mobile home axles are really heavy duty at least the ones I used. You might be able to save some cash by just buying the spindles and drums even if you pick electric ones.

Do you have any pictures of your work? I have mobile home axles and would like to have "regular" wheels on it.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:33 PM

I will see what type of pictures I can take. I dont have any of the work being done because when we did it the idea of digital pics was only on the jetsons. I will see if I can lay under it tomorrow and get a few shots. The only real tricky part of the job was cutting the axles square. The ones I have are arched so when in we cut them with the miter saw it was a bit of go by eye. We did really well as the trailer pulls and tracks real good.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:03 PM

In Most cases you can get new brake backing plates and new drums and bearings then just assemble on to your axles/spindles. Most manufactures copyied Dexter spindles and most all are the same industry wide

Your milage may vary, Some assembly required, Void where prohibited
Old 12-21-2007, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by electrifried
In Most cases you can get new brake backing plates and new drums and bearings then just assemble on to your axles/spindles. Most manufactures copyied Dexter spindles and most all are the same industry wide

Your milage may vary, Some assembly required, Void where prohibited

I checked my spindle dimensions with manufactured hubs for a conversion and I have an oddball size. I didn't see any that would fit.
Old 12-21-2007, 10:15 PM

How much is it going to cost to change the axle and brake assembly? Just curious.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:00 AM

$320 for one axle with electric brakes and springs (5200# axle)

Shipping is $75.00 for two axles truck freight at www.etrailerpart.com Best shipping price I found by far.

I bought the trailer for $150.00.

The torflex axle is $555.00 per axle.
Old 12-22-2007, 11:10 AM

well whatever you do, you should be well ahead of the game. That sounds like a pretty good deal with springs and all. I have not looked at any axles prices for years. Well I got a couple of pics of under my trailer. this one probably says it all.
Attached Thumbnails Swapping out dayton style trailer axles for new axles-traileraxle.jpg  
Old 12-22-2007, 11:24 AM

That is a nice setup and you can get brakes at the local auto supply store too.

How do surge brakes work? Do you need some kind of sensor in the tongue? Hydraulic disc brake upgrade is only $20 more than electric drums per axle

Quick Reply: Swapping out dayton style trailer axles for new axles