1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Can I get specifics on input shaft connection

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2024, 11:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can I get specifics on input shaft connection

Well, I'm drilling down to replace this leaky seal on the input shaft, and I'm starting to wonder about how to reconnect the shaft to the gearbox.
When I took it off, it seemed like the Allen wrench Bolt was not lined up with the grooved Edge, nor was it on the flat spot.

Do you think it was put in wrong? Or can anyone give me specifics on how that should be lined up? Also, how hard can I push on the shaft to get the connection to seat well? That is to say, could I mess this up by pushing too hard on the shaft?

Slightly cleaned up

Old 04-26-2024, 09:20 AM

Received 348 Likes on 287 Posts
Its an aftermarket ujoint shaft there, you how you index the spline is really about having the steering wheel 'straight' while the alignment/steering is straight.
Old 04-26-2024, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by u2slow
Its an aftermarket ujoint shaft there, you how you index the spline is really about having the steering wheel 'straight' while the alignment/steering is straight.
thanks. I think I understand about it being straight - but I'm wondering about HOW FAR they need to be connected together. How deep in does that shaft need to be? and where should the alan screw connect - in the groove or on the flat? seems like the flat to me, but then why the groove?
Old 04-26-2024, 08:17 PM

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
Tyssniffen, I don't want to hijack or change the subject, but had a quick question about your sig.

You say you're running on veggie oil, probably from a long time ago? How did that work with a 1st gen?

I thought I read it was bad on the 1st gen pumps.

I use to run veggie oil in a VW Rabbit pickup, so I'm familiar with the process.

Thank you for your time!
Old 04-26-2024, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sheep Herder
Tyssniffen, I don't want to hijack or change the subject, but had a quick question about your sig.

You say you're running on veggie oil, probably from a long time ago? How did that work with a 1st gen?

I thought I read it was bad on the 1st gen pumps.

I use to run veggie oil in a VW Rabbit pickup, so I'm familiar with the process.

Thank you for your time!
yeah, no problem. Actually, the reason I bought this truck was it the one available that was diesel, so I could do the switch to veg. I added the 2nd tank and manifold long ago, around 2006, and started running on waste veg. I would start on regular store-bought diesel, and switch over when it was warm. I went through a lot of different suppliers, and some weren't as good as others. Early on, I did have to switch out my pump... like after 1 year or something. it's been so long, was it an 'injection pump'? but never had a problem after that. So, I put about 30-40,000 miles of veg on that thing over the last 15 years.

Suppliers dried up, and I mostly just use the truck around the woods, not getting it up to speed/heated up enough to switch over anymore. And I'm on my last 30 gal of veg oil. I should probably do a full clean out at some point, but mostly I'm just doing short firewood runs these days. Barely do 300 miles a year now.

Old 04-26-2024, 10:00 PM

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
I'm glad to hear you had good luck with it.

Thank you sir!
Old 04-27-2024, 07:59 AM

Received 341 Likes on 240 Posts
Originally Posted by tyssniffen
thanks. I think I understand about it being straight - but I'm wondering about HOW FAR they need to be connected together. How deep in does that shaft need to be? and where should the alan screw connect - in the groove or on the flat? seems like the flat to me, but then why the groove?
The grove was for the original "dogbone" style shaft, as someone said line up the steering wheel slip it on so it has plenty of bite then tighten down your set screw and you are good to go.
The following users liked this post:
u2slow (04-28-2024)