Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Tranny Upgrade Q's...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 08:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tranny Upgrade Q's...

Hey guys, Wondering if you could each loan me $0.02 haha! I want to put out some more power but wanna upgrade the tranny before I do that. Any advise on what to do or where to go? A buddy of mine said ATS 5start torque converter and their valve body alone will hold tons of power. Any experience or suggestions as to where to go... good experiences or bad. I wanna keep it around 2k or so when i do it. I want it to shift nice and firm and hold if i stick some power behind it. Should I wait and save for a full built one and a TC or stick just a vb and tc in it?? The tranny's gotton hot before and I change the fluid after it did but what do you guys think? I appreciate any advise! Thanks,
Trevor
Old 09-21-2006, 09:13 PM
GSP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your going to R&R the tranny to put in a TC then I would go though it. Take it apart and inspect it. 1/2 the job is Removeing it. I cant see the point of removeing it and shoveing a TC (and replace the front seal)on it bolting it back in the truck with out putting it on the bench and going through the rest of the trans. Unless its already been rebuilt recently.

To put a VB in or do your own Vb kit, can be done when you just drop the pan to change the oil.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:12 AM

If your tranny is in good shape right now, then you will be fine with a TC and shift kit. Im not a personal fan of ATS. Check out www.gbtransmissions.com . I have his triple disc, and it is sweet, and has a lifetime warranty.

Eric
Old 09-22-2006, 06:23 AM

Yup, tc & valve body should do it for you. DTT,HTS, or GB should all do a good job, but Dusty @ HTS gets my vote. www.htstransmissions.com

Randy
Old 09-22-2006, 09:20 AM
Banned

Tranny work is not cheap, but the best mod you can do by far. I would reccomend freshening up your internals while they have the trans out.(since you do have 100k+ on the truck) The upgraded rebuild kits are not terribly expensive, and it would suck to throw a TC and VB in, only to fry clutches and have to yank the whole thing out again. Also, you probably want to get a billet input shaft minnimum. when the stocker goes, it usually tears up all kinds of junk (converter, pump, etc.)
Old 09-23-2006, 06:51 PM

Yeah I've been thinking about going through it rebuilt with upgraded stuff other than the tc and replace tc, and input and do the VB then too. What kind of stuff will I be able to run with something like a TC and VB combo? I was hoping maybe Mach 4s and maybe an EZ or something like that... Would I need more to hold this? What should I expect to do? Thanks Guys, I appreciate it a lot!
Trev
Old 09-24-2006, 01:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are using the truck for a "hot rod" or drag racing then I would consider the input shaft. If you are just using your truck as a tool to tow your trailer the stock one will do just fine. I would also replace ALL the torington bearings and the output shaft bearing as well as all the thrust washers.
Old 09-24-2006, 02:08 PM

Yeah I would like to kind of hot rod it around and maybe pull or drag it once in awhile which makes me think about the input, also if it goes, it takes a lot with it so it would be nice to have it upgraded also. Yeah I'll look into the bearings and stuff more too.... it does have higher mileage and hasnt been rebuilt as far as i know so that would be good for it too haha.
TNutcher
Old 09-25-2006, 04:36 PM

Your best bet would be to know how and what your going to do with the truck. I see you have ideas of what you would like to do but you need to secure your ideas. The reason being is that companies offer more than one type of converter and VB set-up. Along with that remember it is the torque you are tring to transfer through the trans...not really HP, hence billet parts. Have and idea of the type of power you are going for and decide from there...500 hp 600 hp b/c it makes a difference. Better to do it once than 3 or 4 times if you know what I mean.

Richard
Old 09-27-2006, 07:50 PM

yeah I know what you mean. I really only want to do this once. Thanks guys I need to call around and see what they offer for some 150 sticks and an ez or smarty.... thats what my plan is, and maybe twins or whatever haha.