Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

make my own Big line

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
make my own Big line

I want to price out the build for a big line kit because i can not believe they actually cost 60 plus bucks to make.

My question is what size are the holes (the banjo bolts) would screw into at the ip and also at the ff.

Thanks
Old 10-03-2007, 11:35 AM

Im sorry, but you must be kidding. How much fuel are you going to spend running around town and picking up all the parts (if you can find them?) not to mention, what is your time worth? Time is money and for the few dollars more that it costs - its well worth it. Not to mention, when you buy a kit like this - you know you are going to get the right parts. Theres no buying bits and pieces just to see if they will work. Its a done deal, open the box and install it. Couldnt be easier.

I really dont think these guys are making a killings on big line kits. For the work involved, the research, \cost of parts and fuel line. I think they are very reasonable. JMO.

Holley Kit: http://www.vulcanperformance.com/ser...er-Pump/Detail

Carter Kit:

http://www.vulcanperformance.com/ser...ine-Kit/Detail

These guys also sell any fitting youd ever need: http://www.vulcanperformance.com/ser...nts/Categories
Old 10-03-2007, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by robins
I want to price out the build for a big line kit because i can not believe they actually cost 60 plus bucks to make.

My question is what size are the holes (the banjo bolts) would screw into at the ip and also at the ff.

Thanks
M12 x 1.5

needmorecharacters
Old 10-03-2007, 01:02 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with you, they SEEM a bit pricey. But when you get right down to it, they're not. JIC, -AN and AeroQuip fittings are not cheap. We buy all sort of air and hydrulic fittings here at work for our trucks and equipment. Let me tell you, they are expensive. Heck we have a seperate bin just for used fittings that we recycle because of price. And you need to be sure to get the right type of fuel Hose. Regular gas fuel hose from Kragen or AutoZone or Napa will get soft and gummy with diesel.

You'd be better off just ordering a kit from Vulcan or someplace similar.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:23 PM

Alright thanks all i want is the part that goes from the Fuel Filter to the IP. But i just saw one for what i consider a more reasonble price.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by robins
Alright thanks all i want is the part that goes from the Fuel Filter to the IP. But i just saw one for what i consider a more reasonble price.
Do share!

I was thinking of doing the same thing.
How is the hose attached to the JIC fittings?
Is it only using zip ties?
How much improvement have you seen from adding the fuel line kit?

I am still not totally convinced. I even read somewhere that the fuel line between the filter and injection should stay small. Not that I believed it, but I read it somewhere.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:19 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by pgilles
M12 x 1.5

needmorecharacters
The above fittings M12x1.5-8JIC are special order and cost from $5-$7 each.
You will need 8 JIC fittings and 1/2" x 8jic pushlocks & 1/2" hose. I have put together a couple kits for fellow chapter members and even at cost it is close to $50 to put them together. Just save yourself time and money and get the Vulcan kit.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:31 PM
Chapter President

I was also looking into piecing one together. They are right, after you gather all the pieces and either find a shop or drill and tap the fitting for the pressure gage, you will have a big PITA. I just took delivery of the Vulcan Big Line kit and I must say it is everything these guys say it is. The only thing I have ti get is 2 fittings for my Holley pump.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:23 PM
Chapter President

Originally Posted by wurkenman
I was also looking into piecing one together. They are right, after you gather all the pieces and either find a shop or drill and tap the fitting for the pressure gage, you will have a big PITA. I just took delivery of the Vulcan Big Line kit and I must say it is everything these guys say it is. The only thing I have ti get is 2 fittings for my Holley pump.
You'll need one 3/8npt to 1/2" pushlock and 3/8"npt to 3/8" pushlock. reuse the hose barb on the tank push your new 3/8" hose onto it.
Old 10-03-2007, 10:37 PM

push-loc fittings and hose ends do not need hose clamps or anything. they're rated to hold 300psi on their own. and push-loc is not a regular hose barb though. they looks similar but they're not the same. I used 1/2" Goodyear gator-grip hose through out on mine.
Old 10-04-2007, 01:50 PM

I can't find a supplier anywhere that has a designated for Diesel use fuel line...several say gas/diesel/alcohol but none say just diesel...I've been told and have read more than once generic fuel lines won't hold up...anyone have a good source? (if you add a link could you please link it to the specific page TIA)
Old 10-04-2007, 02:46 PM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Originally Posted by swmnkdinthervr
I can't find a supplier anywhere that has a designated for Diesel use fuel line...several say gas/diesel/alcohol but none say just diesel...I've been told and have read more than once generic fuel lines won't hold up...anyone have a good source? (if you add a link could you please link it to the specific page TIA)
www.vulcanperformance.com
Old 10-04-2007, 03:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by scottsjeeprolet
The above fittings M12x1.5-8JIC are special order and cost from $5-$7 each.
I am not saying that my setup is exemplary by any standard. But I do not think that it is necessary to replicate your own "big line" kit with the fittings used in well known packaged kits. Yes, the JIC fittings are expensive. But the 12x1.5 to NPTF are not. And one can adapt from NPTF to anything with ease. I am surprised that Swagelok fittings are not used a lot more around here. Super easy to work with, 100% modular - build whatever you wish.
I also do not agree with a statement that a kit saves you enough time to be worth the money. I built my fuel system in one day, ordered parts from the web and saved over $300 compared to the only comparable setup, a 150 FASS. It is not clear to me that I would have installed the FASS in less time than I did mine, but even if I spent 3 hours more, I am not routinely making $100 an hour. Only occasionally
-P
Old 10-04-2007, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by JPR Ram
That's the line I'm replacing...it's all cracked and I don't trust it...looks kinda dried out and anywhere it bends there are surface cracks!
Old 10-04-2007, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by swmnkdinthervr
That's the line I'm replacing...it's all cracked and I don't trust it...looks kinda dried out and anywhere it bends there are surface cracks!
mines starting to crack as well.

ive piecemealed my fuel system together so far and i kinda want to tear it all out and start over and salvage what i can. it works just fine, but i kinda want it to look 'fine' as well...but it isnt a necessity for me at the moment and so it'll probably sit on the backburner...