Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Do you own your own business??

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you own your own business??

If so, what does your business do? Just trying to gather up some ideas. I am sick to death of working for other wonderful people. And to top that off I dont even like what I do. I am young enough and dont have kids so I can afford to take a chance. And my g/f who will someday become my wife makes enough for us to live, just not enough to support our very expensive habits....like my truck...lol.
I am not a stupid person, I honestly feel I can do anything that I put my mind to. But I do lack in the imagination dept. Thanks in advance guys! Bret
Old 04-15-2007, 10:32 PM

My wife and I sell Log homes. ( along with me working for uncle sam) They pretty much sell themselves. You either want a log home or you don't. You really don't have to have a sales pitch because by the time the buyer calls us, they already know that they want one.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:51 PM

my dad , brother and i have r own business reparing construction equiement i like it pays good but we also brake are Edit and work 60 hrs a week
Old 04-15-2007, 10:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a portable sawmill that I have run for 12 years, although the last three have been more part time. I also do handyman work; I've sold solar panels and craft wood on ebay and I work guiding kayak trips in the summer. I just sold a big order of solar panels alst month to a friend, but it's been a while since I've done much of that. The kayaking gig is almost 1/2 my yearly income now.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:32 AM

I do decorative concrete repair and restoration over existing concrete. I do alot of milkhouse floors for farmers with epoxy and colored quartz. I also do alot of foundation wall waterproofing. I deal with mostly specialty products so I seem to get all the jobs nobody else can do or wants to try to do. That helps eliminate the competition. I'll tell you what I am more busy than I ever thought I would be
Old 04-16-2007, 07:13 AM
Administrator

I do a lot of different things, but the 2 major money making endeavors are my welding business and my health and safety training business. We teach CPR, First Aid, and OSHA compliance issues as well as EMT & Paramedic courses. By far, the income from the teaching business surpasses that of the welding business. I just do welding now because I LIKE to do it. I like teaching too, but teaching is also where the money is at!

The key to success in business is liking what you are doing!

Good luck with whatever you do!

chaikwa.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run a seamless gutter business. It has been a good 27 years. But I'm tired and want change. I would love to set someone up in a good business and semi-retire!!
Old 04-16-2007, 07:59 AM
P.J
Banned

As a lot of you know, I am a Real Estate Appraiser and 1/3rd partner in an Abrasive blasting operation.

Neither of the two would support us 100% on their own right now, both of them together is what allows me to be at home fooling around on here at 9:00 on a Monday morning!

I've been independent since early 2003, I don't ever see me having a "Boss" again, except the wife that is......
Old 04-16-2007, 08:15 AM

My Wife and I have a 16 acre horse farm...its a bit run down... it is 220 years old the oldest farm in the area, in the town records they say the people 'from around the pond(120acre) used to come here to "HIDE" from the Indians'
Really I ain't making it up ! we grow crops for ourselves , we have chickens,(eggs) goats (yum) 17 horses,2 dogs,7 cats...

and ABOUT 50 % OF our critters are 'RESCUES'
Old 04-16-2007, 08:59 AM

I bury people.
What else can I say, I think we can figure it out.

Then I'm an heir to 22k acres of farm land where my parents raise cattle and oil.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:38 AM

I'm a Doctor, unless you are prepared to return/go to school, forget what I do on your list of things to do.

I breed and train, etc Shire horses, it has/is a very nice living income. I agree with the others here, you must LIKE and ENJOY what you do, that is the real secret to any job or business.

When you are self employed you DO loose that BOSS, but you must know that EVERYONE who deals with you becomes the boss. You also get to pay BOTH sides of the taxes for not having the boss too. There is NO SUCH thing as a paid vacation, time away means no incoming bucks because you are not there to earn them. The really good news is that you will no longer sit around and gripe about the boss and his/her 'bad' management choices - you get to make them all yourself AND live with them accordingly.

I very much enjoy being self employed. I control my working hours and also control the work environment. I am a somewhat laid back person, so my office is also. It becomes a real pleasure to work under those conditions. Every year my Jan 1st ritual is to sit down with the appointment book and 'schedule' my time off. This allows me to take time for myself and my interests, something working for someone else only allows during that 'vacation' time. Ironically, today, is the day I get to PAY for the privledge of being self employed, so this discussion has a little more meaning.

CD
Old 04-16-2007, 10:24 AM

I'm just like you SRT20, but I have a wife and one kid. We started an alpaca farm about 3 years ago and we hope within the next 1-2 years that either one or both of us can quit our jobs and just raise alpacas.

Some of my other endevours...
  • I owned an automotive paint protection franchise (3M film) for a few years.
  • Almost bought a Harley dealership
  • Almost bought 3 icecream store franchises in Florida
  • and am always on the lookout for a coin operated carwash...open 24hrs and its an all cash biz

John

ps - I'm still trying to get my hands on a new mega-cab...the dealers just won't give me a decent trade-in value for my Tupperware made by Chevy ('04 Avalanche).
Old 04-16-2007, 10:35 AM

CD, ironically my g/f is a Physican Assistant. She works in an ER up here. Yeah that one there is prolly something I am not gonna do. I am young, but not that young, so 6 more years of college is out. I am 32.
Thanks to everyone for all the replies, please keep them coming. Bret
Old 04-16-2007, 10:37 AM

Sorry John but I dont have a clue on what Alpacas are. lol They sound expensive though...
Old 04-16-2007, 01:03 PM

I have a boss, but years ago my wife no longer wanted one, so she got her license and became a home daycare provider. She loves kids, so it works out. The best, hands down, home based business you can have in mind. Good money when she has a full house, and tax benefits are awesome. Of course if you live in the sticks, it wont work too well, but my wife does well.

We live off my income, and have fun off of hers.

Quick Reply: Do you own your own business??