Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Give me a clue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Give me a clue?

First post, so take it easy on me. I will start by saying that I know absolutely nothing about turbos. Sizes, numbers, etc. mean nothing to me.

So here goes...

I would like to up the power a bit in my truck. I would like suggestions on turbos and the use of a fuel plate.

As it currently sits...

98 2500 cummins 12V Auto 4x4 4.10 gears with posi 245K miles
4 inch exhaust
330 hp injectors
Cone air intake.

I tow on an occasional (once a month) basis. Gross weight is 17,500lbs (yes I weighed it). And I do not want to sacrifice any towing capability. I do want the truck to be faster, and pull harder....not looking for a sled puller though.

I would like to run a slightly bigger turbo, I feel mine is worn out from mileage? It spools much better with the bigger injectors, but still seems a little laggy to me.

Let me have it....
Old 04-21-2008, 03:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you have gauges? Boost, Tranny Temp, Exhaust Gas Temp

Have you done anything to upgrade your auto transmission?

Have you played with the cam plate in your pump? Is it moved forward, ground to a different profile, or aftermarket? Etc.

What are your power goals? In stock form, your truck puts about 170 to the ground.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:46 PM

Boost quivers around 25-28 at full throttle.
Pyro has seen 1300, but only on the hardest of pulls
Tranny never seems to break the 180-190 range.

No mods to the trans as of yet, but I am looking into a "new" unit. New trans will be done around the end of summer. Only one scheduled trip between now and then. So basically any mods done will see VERY limited time on this trans.

I have not adjusted the fuel plate whatsoever...I was kind of leaning towards buying a number 100 plate?

I guess if I had to put a number on my goals, I would say 350/750???
Old 04-22-2008, 09:00 AM

the tranny will start to struggle as soon as you add fueling mods. just be aware that those trannies are the weak link. you can reach 350 without a turbo mod but it will be hot doing so. try not to go too aggressive with the plate you choose. the adjustments of the pump makes alot of difference with power and egts. my 8 plate can spike my egt gauge if its all the way forward, or peak at 1100 if its all the way back. if drivability is your goal, you will love a gsk...governer spring kit...also, delivery valves will add a bunch of power as well but be careful with selection and stay away from lazer cut unless your competing. your turbo needs will probably fall in the 62/65/12 or 14 size if you want good towing and streetability. most companies have their of this size turbo so choosing brand may be the hardest decision. spend time learning about the pump and its adjustments so you can do your own tuning...makes all the difference in my opinion.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:48 AM

If that is your goal I would just leave the one you have on there now on there.
If absolutly set on a different one I would go no larger than a
Htbg, Basic S300 57/65, or a GT3782 considering your goals. Those will cool just fine and spool quicker than a 62mm turbo. What is wrong with the turbo that is on your truck now ?
Old 04-22-2008, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mountaineer
If that is your goal I would just leave the one you have on there now on there.
If absolutly set on a different one I would go no larger than a
Htbg, Basic S300 57/65, or a GT3782 considering your goals. Those will cool just fine and spool quicker than a 62mm turbo. What is wrong with the turbo that is on your truck now ?
Unloaded, floored from a stop... The truck seems to start very slow and I get little to no boost until about 1500 rpm. with the addition of the 330 injectors recently, it seems better, but still takes off too slow for my liking and now it belches lots of black smoke until 1500+ rpm.

I really just want the first 100 feet to be faster, after that I am just fine with the performance as it is. I have never driven another CTD, but all the other diesels (fords and chevys) I have driven seems much smoother and faster from the get go.

I guess I am really "assuming" that the turbo should spool faster and figured the 245K miles on it was the problem. I was even considering replacement with a stock turbo, but figured why not upgrade a little?
Old 04-22-2008, 03:13 PM

get delivery valves. your initial throttle response will be much faster.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by mainiac
get delivery valves. your initial throttle response will be much faster.
But the truck already blows black right from the line...wouldn't that mean there is already enough fuel?

And also...what valves would you recommend?
Old 04-23-2008, 03:49 PM

Have you tried messing with the AFC. That is going to affect spool up quite a bit too. Try tightening the spring a bit so the fuel comes in a little slower, so it keeps it down to a haze or maybe a bit more. If you go with a bigger turbo, its going to spool slower, save for maybe the small garrett bb charger.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:23 AM

talk to the guys as HIGH TECH TURBO tell them what you got and what you want to tow they will recomend a turbo for you.