HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

Don't Have A Clue What Is Wrong????

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Don't Have A Clue What Is Wrong????

We just bought a 2001 dodge 1 ton dually quad cab with 79k miles on it. It was running great then I was driving it home and it started acting like it wanted to die then when I was in 6 gear it started jurking really bad. When I got home we left it idealing and it kept dieing. We drove it down the rode and hammered on it then the next couple of days it was driving fine again. Saturday we were getting ready to leave and had started it up to let it warm up and it started making a strange noise again and would die. then it wouldn't crank at all. we looked though the manual it we did the try to turn over twice and then try to start and it would start but would die quickly. So we called the dealership that we bought it from and they had to come tow it in. I am really not a happy camper cause we only have had it a week and it is already broke down. Well, the dealership thought they had fixed it monday and we went to pick it up the guy came back and said he had started it up backed it up and it died on him. it wont crank again. as of today wednesday they still don't know what is wrong with it. can maybe someone else help me? They thought it was some wiring in the left side that wasn't connected correctly that was telling the fuel to send. I am very worried about this truck now. the truck we traded it has already been sold. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!!! WHAT COULD BE WRONG WITH IT? SHOULD I BE WORRIED?
Old 03-16-2005, 10:48 AM

Ok here is the deal we don't have quite enough info to work with since you did not give us any codes, those can be pulled by cycling on/off 3 times and looking in the odometer window. Here is what you can take as the gospel the cummins/dodge is a mostly reliable combo there are a couple thing to watch like a hawk, the single most important is fuel pressure. fp is the make or break of the dodge, the symptoms you describe are "classic" bad lift pump signs, lift pumps are around 130-300 buck depending where you go....the bad news is if you puke a lp it can take the injection pump with it they are $1000 +/- I would ask the dealer to at least warranty the pumps for one year minimum as often they take the dive a month later. If your dealer says no or you bought it as is, post back to this site an we will help you find the parts for a fair price and talk you through it. I can tell you that gauges to monitor the ex gas temp, fuel pressure, and boost are the best money you can spend, if these things are kept in check you can expect 300,000 miles as a minimum.

Good Luck,

GREG
Old 03-16-2005, 11:15 AM

I don't know much about codes... I have never had a diesel and my husband talked me into letting him trade our chevy in for this one and it is my truck to drive. I do know that what he was trying was to see if there was air in the tank. He did try to open a valve or something and diesel started to come out really bad. The dealership did give us a 30,000 mile warranty on the truck when we bought it. So, I am not worried about the price I just want them to fix it and they keep telling me they don't know what is wrong with it. So I was hoping maybe someone knew what might be wrong with it. Their first guess was also the lift pump but that is not the case is what we have been told. Please help me... did we buy a lemon truck?
Old 03-16-2005, 11:38 AM

Cindy, when you get the truck back, like high country said, cycle the ignition key off and on 3 times and leave it in the on position. look down at where your mileage is indicated on the speedometer and watch what numbers it gives you. If you see a P0216 code, you can be assured that the injection pump has bit the chihuahua. Which as High said was probably due to your lift pump taking a dive. Cummins warranty will cover the engine for up to 100K miles.

The thing that your hubby opened that let fuel pour out was your drain on your water separator which is just downstream of your lift pump.

Holler back if you need more info..... And dont let the DC dealer give ya the run around about changing both the lift and the injector pump if you get that code readout.

Good Luck,

Gary
Old 03-16-2005, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please fill out your signature so we all can easily spot your truck and it's specifications. Always makes it easier for everyone to help.

Not to worry. You'll get that truck sorted out in no time and will love it more than any other truck you ever owned. There will be no comparrison between your truck and a gas Chevy once you get it working right.

How many miles are on your truck? Did you buy it from a Dodge dealer or is this just a used truck dealer of some kind?

As allready stated there is a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty on the engine in your truck.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:22 PM

Well, thank ya'll for your replies. It is making me feel a little more easy about this truck. Hopefully I will get it back today and find out what is exactly wrong with it. Should I expect a lot of problems with it? It only has 80,000 miles on it. I bought it from a dodge dealer that is in my town and I know some of the people that work there. We are trying to make them give us a back bumper raparound replacement for it for all the trouble we have had. Does anyone know what might be wrong... I don know they have fixed all wiring all the left side, replaced lift pump and fuel pump thingy. They still don't know what is wrong with it. It seems like sometimes it just isn't getting gas. When it first happen we thought there was just trash in the fuel becuse it ran fine after that. The dealership had it running great monday and then we went to pick it up and it did the same things again. How would I know if I need a new engine? I am not truck smart at all. I am starting to really miss my gas chevy.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doubtful you need a new engine. Injection pump maybe. But don't worry it's under warranty. You may have to take it to another dealer who is more diesel savvy.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What do you mean by, "It won't crank"?

Do you mean the engine won't even turn over?

Or do you mean the engine will turn over but won't start/fire?

ALL mechanical things eventually fail. Some fail before others. This is easy for me to say because my truck is running......but.....don't let it get you down. It will get fixed and then after it's running like it should your frown will turn into a smile. I'm not sure what you're husband is driving but I don't know how it would be nicer than a 1 ton quad cab dually Cummins.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:52 PM

Well, it will turn but want start. If you do get it to start it dies just as fast. It is just worring me that it has been with the dodge dealer since Friday and THEY HAVE NO CLUE what is wrong with it. I need to know if it something I should be trying to kill my husband for buying for me or something that is very understanding to happen.... I have only had the truck for a week and a half and it is alreayd broke down.. come on now... I am worried. I will admit it was running wonderful before it started acting up.

My husband drives a little 1990 toyota 4x4 single cab truck with 220,000 miles on it, jacked up and mudd tires... it was given to him by my dad and he loves it.

We traded in a 2000 chevy silverado Z71 bad *** truck with mud tires and a bull nose frontend replacement and back bumper raplacement. that I loved... But I was told this dodge was a lot better truck. I am starting to worry now though....
Old 03-16-2005, 05:02 PM

Give them time and they'll find it. A Cummins is a great engine and even with this glitch you're better off than having the Chevy. Be glad that you have the warranty. When they fix it you'll have a great truck.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:30 PM

I would be asking the dealer if their mechanic is ASE certified on diesels. Some of the smaller dealerships don't do alot of work on them. Almost sounds to me like it's getting air in the lines to the injectors. Sometimes the return line to the fuel tank from the vp44 injection pump gets a crack in it & can suck air.

Good luck & let us know if they find the problem.
Old 03-16-2005, 07:08 PM

Cindy,
You made the right choice gettin rid of that chevy. You just need to be patient with the dealer. If they don't find what is wrong, tell them you demand some other dealer look at it. That's YOUR right.
Sounds like an injector pump to me. Like everyone else says, Cummins will replace it. All Cummins engines come with 100,000 mile warranty. more then you can say about Chevys. Besides, You wont see many chevy gasers goin 3, 4, or 500,000 miles
Also, them Cummins deisels DO hold their value.
Keep us posted on what they find with it.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:14 PM
Banned

you wouldn't by any chance have put gas in the truck?
Old 03-17-2005, 08:51 AM

No, I did not put GAS in the truck.... EVERYONE has asked me that. Well, we went by there last night and talked to them i just kinda listened... they replaced many things and nothing has worked, they have ordered an injector pump that is to be intoday and they are going to replace it to see if that helps any. I will let you know just as soon as I get it back and find out exactly what is wrong with it. This has just really made me frustrated. I have always bought new trucks and never had any problems with them. This is my first used truck and my first dodge owning. I have always been a chevy person. Well, let ya'll know just as soon as I find out what is wrong with it.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:37 AM

Sounds like the problem isn't the truck. The problem is the meathead dealer. They don't know how to troubleshoot so they are just replacing parts. At least it's not on your dime.

Quick Reply: Don't Have A Clue What Is Wrong????