HELP! If you have an EMERGENCY situation with your truck, or you need IMMEDIATE technical help, use this board.

dont have a clue

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dont have a clue

Got a bad load of fuel along with about 15 other trucks in my area. Truck sounded like it was missing on a few cylinders. Did not feel like paying the dealer $1200.00 to clean the tank and injectors so used the opportunity, more like a excuse to install a larger tank. Anyway after cleaning out the entire fuel system the truck still sounds like its missing on a few cylinders. ckecked for codes and got one for injection timing (dont remember the #), 0500, and 1693. the engine runs rough between idle and 1500rpm under a light throttle. If you put any kind of a load (as little as the air conditioner) on the motor it almoast smoothes out completely. It idles at 900, when new and until the bad fuel it idled at 800. None of this happens when the motor is cold, only when it starts warming up or almoast at operating temp. The truck has never died on me. Took it to the dealer this morning (8am) and by 4pm everybody was standing around scratching there heads. Things I do know up till now: At dealer all codes were cleared. Myself and one of the techs went and put about 100 miles on the truck with there stuff hooked up. Drove it just about any way you could imagine, even took a 5 mile shortcut that required locking in the 4wd (been a lot of rain here over the last few weeks). None of the codes ever showed back up and everything was within specs not indicating anything was fixing to give up on me. I went ahead and left the truck so the tech could work on it while talking to star.<br>Any Ideas? truck has 22,000 on it now<br><br>Thanks in advance ... Kevin<br>
Old 11-12-2002, 05:32 AM

Re:dont have a clue

One possibility is that it is getting air in the fuel system from somewhere. Sucking air will make them idle higher, a load will smooth it out some and no codes will be set. Usually if they are getting air like this, there will be a slight fluctuation in the RPMs.
Old 11-12-2002, 09:01 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong but- If you got an injection timing code - isn't it time to replace your injection pump.<br><br>I was thinking the same but convincing the dealer of that is another however I cant complain of the service I have gotten so far. All I can do is hope that if it does go, it will be before the warranty expires.
Old 11-12-2002, 09:17 AM

One possibility is that it is getting air in the fuel system from somewhere. Sucking air will make them idle higher, a load will smooth it out some and no codes will be set. Usually if they are getting air like this, there will be a slight fluctuation in the <br><br>That is one of the ideas we thought about yesterday. At least the tech was straight up enough to start making calls instead of playing the runaround game. Now if only a air leak can be found. Maybe I can talk them into swapping out the cheesy looking lines at the sending unit and using hose clamps instead of those plastic clips. Ill be heading back over to the dealer in a couple of hours. Hopefully they have found something
Old 11-12-2002, 01:47 PM

I have been able to find air leaks by putting the nozzle of one of those little compressors into the filler tube, plugging it, and listening carefully.<br>A very small leak will suck air and is hard to find.<br>george
Old 11-12-2002, 02:18 PM

[quote author=BigBlackDodge link=board=13;threadid=6929;start=0#65578 date=1037105900]<br>Correct me if I'm wrong but- If you got an injection timing code - isn't it time to replace your injection pump.<br>[/quote]<br><br>[quote author=The Beast 2 link=board=13;threadid=6929;start=0#65634 date=1037113301]<br>I was thinking the same but convincing the dealer of that is another however I cant complain of the service I have gotten so far. All I can do is hope that if it does go, it will be before the warranty expires.<br>[/quote]<br><br>I had the 1693 code along with a 216 code which is injection timing failure. I talked with an independent mechanic, a dealer's mechanic, and my dealer, and all said the injection pump had to be replaced. It was replaced under warranty.<br><br>CR
Old 11-12-2002, 06:45 PM

just got back from the dealer. Will be getting a new injection pump on monday. At least its under warranty. The things that had everybody stumped was the way it was running and the fact that I put at least 1500 miles on it since the problem started.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Must have been built at the same plant, on the same day as mine.
Bad batch of VP44's that day.

phox