Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Edge Juice w/ Attitude or Smarty - Which one is better?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge Juice w/ Attitude or Smarty - Which one is better?

I have a 1999 2500 Ram CTD with approx. 95k miles. I replaced my VP about 5 months ago. I don't tow much, but if i do it is a 16ft enclosed v nose trailer with my motorcycle. BHAF, straight pipe, silencer ring removed. I do plow snow with a 8 foot Boss Superduty plow. What do you guys suggest a Smarty or Edge with Juice. I don't want to put in new injectors, atleast not right now, and don't need a drag truck, I just want to unleash some more power. Any ideas?

Thanks
Jared
Old 11-12-2007, 10:00 AM

Sorry... also I want some smoke when I mash the pedal!
Old 11-12-2007, 11:03 AM
JIT

You will want more power in the future... trust me! The Edge JWA will give you more power and smoke all you want while being adjustable to compensate for other mods. The Smarty is a great adjustable programmer that can be used as a stack with just about anything but wont provide the same power as the Edge.

If the price was the same I feel the Edge would be more bang for your buck... and I have seen a lot of Edge JWA selling for about the same price as a Smarty! I say get BOTH!!!!!!!!!!! LOL
Old 11-12-2007, 11:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't beat Smarty for daily driving ....
And when time comes for stacking, you will be better off using the timing from the Smarty and a fueling box that does NOT add timing... like the TST.

JMO .... having tried both.

RJ
Old 11-12-2007, 12:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Sorry but I have to disagree, the Edge W/A beats the Smarty for Daily driving hands down due to the ease of changing programs on the fly. Its all just at teh push of a button. You can also tailor the smoke level(5 different levels) to your preference. Mine is set at the lowest level for daily drving but at teh push of a button I can bring it to the highest level for those annoying tailgaters.

I like the Edge for its on the fly adjustability and all the guages I need in one small package.

I think the Smarty gives more power overall though and doesn't tap the pump wire.

Since you already have gauges you may want the Smarty but since you use your truck for a variety of things the Edge may appeal to you for the ease of changing the power levels.

Either way, start thinking about your tranny!
Old 11-12-2007, 02:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you should get the Quad XZT+ if all that you want is 65HP and the ability to blow smoke. It has more bottom end than the Juice and Smarty, great for plowing snow if you ask me. My second choice would be the juice, and third the smarty, just based on price.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:30 PM

OKay guys, I am hearing you. It seems everyone is split on the two. Let me ask you this...
Is taping the pump wire hard to do, hard to get to, does it affect the vp in the long run by being tapped? When I and a firend replaced the VP i remember the harness was in a tough spot?

I think i might be leaning towards the Edge JWA. I can probably sell the current gauges and pillar mount for some decent $$$ which would defer the cost of the Edge JWA.

Thanks for th input, still listening!
Old 11-12-2007, 05:36 PM

It's easy to tap the wire. Most people blame tapping the wire for failed VP44's, but all it really comes down to is when its time to go it's time to go. Tapping the wire works the VP44 harder than without being tapped, and the harder work is what kills pumps if they're in less than optimal condition as I understand it.