Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

16cm turbo housing

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 16cm turbo housing

I got a 16cm housing like i wanted for christmas. The reason i wanted one was to lower the EGT's a couple hundred degrees because by the time i get to 60mph, im at about 1450 degrees, which is hotter than i would like, and since i pull some in the summer, i wanted to not have to worry about EGT's as much. Well, I installed it today, and took it for a quick drive after installing it. EGT's are as bad or worse, and the spoolup is slower(which i kind of expected). I hit about 33lbs of boost with it, but the spoolup is quite a bit slower thanthe 12cm. I expected it to be worse, and it wouldnt have bothered me that bad had it lowered my EGT's, but like i said my EGT's are as bad as they ever were . My EGT's were just fine when i had just the fuel plate. 1300 was the most i EVER hit pulling a load. I added the GSK, and lost some low end power, so i adjusted the governor lever arm. I got all my power back, but now the EGT's are as stated above. So the GSK caused my EGT problems in the first place, and i was expecting the 16cm to cool it down about 200 degrees, but it did nothing for EGT's, and the spoolup is slower, so now i guess im gonna be putting the 12cm back on sometime. I thought the 16cm was supposed to cool EGT's? Do you guys running 16cm housings see cooler EGT's than before? What is your setup for power? My plate seems to fuel really hard on the top end, and i think that is a lot of the reason for the EGT's. Also, it is full forward. If i move it back even 1/8th inch i get quite a bit of EGT reduction, but i also lose more power than i want to lose. What do you guys think my power/EGT's would be like with my plate centered? I would like to try a #10 plate, and see how that acted in my truck, but i just dont see why the 16cm housing hasnt lowered my EGT's any? Any ideas guys? Im at a loss. I guess ill try to get ahold of boy i know with a 1st generation and see if he wants it. It should help his truck out quite a bit as far as spoolup and boost. Thanks for any help guys.

Eric
Old 12-25-2004, 11:04 PM

The 16cm I used to have did the same to me, slower spoolup & high EGT's. Which is why I run a modified 12cm housing now. Better EGT's, better spoolup.

The 16cm housing works well on stock turbo 1st gen. trucks with stock or near stock fueling. They came factory with the 21cm or 18.5cm. Both have way slow spool time.

Maybe sell your 16cm to your 1st gen. buddy and put money towards a 14cm w/g housing. Or better, hybrid your turbo with a bigger compressor wheel. That would help with EGT's alot more than that 16cm housing can.
Old 12-25-2004, 11:42 PM

Yeah, im gonna try to sell it to my buddy with the stock 1st gen except his slight pump tweaks, and 6 inch stacks. Im also planning on helping him turn up his pump some more. I think it would actually do him some good. Then i guess ill just throw my 12 cm housing back on mine, and run it like that. EGT's will be lower, and spoolup is much better, and ill use the money from it on a torque converter that i despratley need. I just know that this housing was supposed to lower EGT's, and it didnt. Oh well. Live and learn i guess.

Eric
Old 12-25-2004, 11:48 PM
Banned

what plate are you running? these things get hot when you rev 'em...
Old 12-25-2004, 11:53 PM

My plate is basically a #5. Its a city diesel brand fuel plate, but its basically the same as a #5 from what im told. It dynos about the same at 246hp/635tq. It seems to fuel pretty hard on the top end because when i mash it, it puts out a pretty steady haze of black smoke. Didnt do that before the 3k GSK. It revs to about 2700rpm's and sits there when you mash it since its an automatic, and i think that is what really start building the heat. Plus, it hasnt been timed, and im sure its retarded bad, as im GUESSING it probably hasnt been timed since new, and im sure that would lower EGT's a little. I was just expecting the 16cm housing to help out about 200 degrees. Oh well

Eric
Old 12-25-2004, 11:55 PM

Also, forrest nearing: How did you make your 4 inch downpipe, and did it help with EGT's any over a stock straight pipe? I thought about doing this, and making a full 4.5 inch exhaust since we have quite a bit of 4.5 inch pipe, but i dont know. Im guessing you took a flange from a stock downpipe, and welded 4 inch pipe to it with the right bends, and stuff? thanks

Eric
Old 12-26-2004, 12:07 AM
Banned

Eric,

I've got an HX40 which has a 3.5" ID v-band flange (commonly referred to as a 4" flange, but it's not!) anyhow, I've got 4" pipe welded straight to the backof the corresponding flange...

if you've got a lot of 4.5" pipe, there's no reason not to use it.

I've never heard of a 200* EGT drop from a 16cm housing, but I wouldn't know what to expect. while your 12cm is off, why not port it, and modify it... drill out the wastegate hole and drill through the divider so that all 6 cylinders get to see the wastegate. that should help.

I am surprised you didn't see any EGT reduction!

definately bump the timing if it hasn't been done. that helps in the upper RPM range.

yeah, if you've got a plate that doesn't defuel in the upper RPM range, and you no longer have the governor defueling for you, the EGT's just CLIMB as the revs go up... you should see my pyro needle swing from 70-95mph... goes from 700-1600* REALLY quickly!

Forrest
Old 12-26-2004, 12:08 AM
Banned

also, I don't think you'll be happy w/ centering the plate or going w/ a #10... once you've tasted that acceleration, it's hard to give it up!
Old 12-26-2004, 12:18 AM

Yeah, i could do all that stuff, but ill probably just leave it alone, and put it back on. I have everything i would need to make a 4.5 inch exhaust out of. I might have to do alittle fabricating for the bends of the downpipe, but other than that, i should be fine. The pipe is galvanized though, so i dont really know how well that would do, but I would think it would be just fine. Also, the pipe has connectors that are made for connecting it, so all id have to do is connect it all how i want it, and adjust it till i get it right, and then set a few beads on each clamp with the mig so that it doesent vibrate loose. Do you reckon it would sound any different? I love the way it sounds now, but im sure it would sound good with this too. Also, on the #10 thing. Thats exactly what i figured. Im not gonna want to give up what little I have, because this plate will probably give me the most power im gonna get with just a fuel plate, so ill just leave it alone. Have you ever ran your truck in the 1/4 forrest nearing? If so what did it turn? Id say its probably pretty quick

Eric
Old 12-26-2004, 04:34 PM

Eric
If you are interested in a # 10 plate I may let you try mine. Im going to scoot it back 1/4 in and go to Fl this week as see what happens(myegt are high as you know). My fuel milage is gone to hell with the #10. Didnt change much pulling 26,000# (1/2 mpg lower).But empty I'm getting 11 where I was at 15-16. Im not getting on it much either and the 11mpg includes long drives at same speed. Cant handle that with as many miles I drive. Since I have 4:10 I thought of going to a 2 speed and trying to get mine up to 20 but that would only get me back to where I was now. If something dont change Im going back to factory plate, scoot it foward and turn star screw a little. maaybe with the 4" exhaust and scotty air I can get my mpg up a little. Power is good but I cant use that much of it due to egt anyway..... give me a call sometime.......304-3013
Old 12-26-2004, 05:14 PM

I cant believe your mileage has gone down that much! Ill try to call you sometime.

Eric