Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

what does a paralegal do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what does a paralegal do?

Well I've been in the Air Force for 10 years now as a Maintenance Scheduler. I don't really want to get out since the pay & benefits are pretty good, but the AF says I'm colorblind, which severly limits me to crosstraining into a lot of different jobs. Now I've never had a problem working on vehicles and such with colored wires, but I just can't pick out the number in the dots on the eye test.
I can't see myself doing this job for another ten years to retirement, and I really don't like office jobs, but I gotta do something else, and paralegal is one of the few fields open to me. Are any of you guys in this field? How is the pay in the civilian sector? Any suggestions?
Thanks !!!
Old 01-04-2006, 04:38 PM

its a grunt for a lawyer not my cup of tea
Old 01-04-2006, 05:28 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I think that is a parachuting bird that belongs in the Eagle family
Old 01-04-2006, 05:35 PM

Now I've never had a problem working on vehicles and such with colored wires, but I just can't pick out the number in the dots on the eye test
First, get other tests. I have had the 14 plate Ishahara numbers test, and I score 10/14 on that. I have also had a 24 plat shapes/letters Ishahara, and I have scored 24/24 on that. Also had the 15 tab Farnsworth test, and scored perfect on that. According to the numbers test, I'm deficient. According to the other two, I'm normal (actually, you can miss two on Farnsworth and be considered normal). Real world, no issues.

Only that danged number test gives some trouble, mainly because you're trying to decide is it a 6...or an 8....?

In other words, you're NOT colorblind, especially since real-world you have nor problems. You may have a slight deficiency, but not something that should exclude you.

Ask them to allow you to go to an opthalmologist (an MD, not an optometrist) and get a Farnsworth test, at a minimum.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:44 PM

Looks like median pay for an entry level paralegal is about $41K. Varies quite a bit by city. Probably hit $80K at a senior level. Many of the write-ups mention bonus pay also. Bonus makes sense as the paralegal should share in the profits of the office.

Paralegals are used by many corporations so there are great opportunities there.
Old 01-04-2006, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by wexman
First, get other tests. I have had the 14 plate Ishahara numbers test, and I score 10/14 on that. I have also had a 24 plat shapes/letters Ishahara, and I have scored 24/24 on that. Also had the 15 tab Farnsworth test, and scored perfect on that. According to the numbers test, I'm deficient. According to the other two, I'm normal (actually, you can miss two on Farnsworth and be considered normal). Real world, no issues.

Only that danged number test gives some trouble, mainly because you're trying to decide is it a 6...or an 8....?

In other words, you're NOT colorblind, especially since real-world you have nor problems. You may have a slight deficiency, but not something that should exclude you.

Ask them to allow you to go to an opthalmologist (an MD, not an optometrist) and get a Farnsworth test, at a minimum.

he's in the military THEIR RULES
Old 01-04-2006, 06:14 PM

I hear ya, but he's being DENIED advancement opportunities because of an inconclusive and inaccurate diagnosis of a physical limititation. Esepecially because he has no real-world trouble. MOST people who are truly colorblind (red/green, for instance) already know it without having to take any tests at all.
Old 01-04-2006, 08:21 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Moose10
. Are any of you guys in this field? How is the pay in the civilian sector? Any suggestions?
Thanks !!!
The BOSS is a paralegal. Her main responsibilities are researching case law and preparing breifs, summaries and assiting the attorneys in preparing a case for trial or settlement. She is the one the attorneys ask " whats the law say about that" or " what have past courts ruled in similar cases". She often handles cases that do not require a bar certified attorney.
Duties vary from office to office, some treat their para's as secretaries, some as assistant attorneys.
Paralegals are considered "proffessionals", since a degree is required to work as one. her starting salary with teh office she is currently at was slightly over 40K, with bonus's and such, her total comp for the last few years has been around 55K.
For this part of the country, thats above-average income, but not spectacular.....
Old 01-07-2006, 01:36 AM

Thats' for clearing that up guys.....not what I would like to do, but I had to ask