3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Why does my truck SUCK off a roll but does awesome off a line?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 01:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why does my truck SUCK off a roll but does awesome off a line?

I dont think I can beat anyone when I race someone off a roll from any highway speed in level 5 on my EDGE, however, I can kill a lot of cars off a line till about 60 or so?? I can totally feel thats its the trans slowing me down. Exampe, im going 30-40mph. I punch it and the trans downshifts but right when it downshifts its almost at 3k rpm already so then it shifts up and I totally loose so much time.
Old 12-29-2006, 01:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The edge is monitering the tranny slipage and is defueling you
Old 12-29-2006, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by BigDave12768
The edge is monitering the tranny slipage and is defueling you
so what should I do?
Old 12-29-2006, 06:14 AM
wap

Get a built tranny?
Old 12-29-2006, 09:00 AM

best thing is to get a built tranny, you can also turn off the defuel in the edge under the settings. but make sure you monitor your guages... or you can really break something.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:08 AM

Tranny then get the HOT version.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
All stock trannied trucks suck from mid range. Had it happen to me last night. Im in Crazy Larry and this punkj in a 2wd f150 tries to play. we come off the light, and Im just gonna "stay" with him to **** him off... then out of the blue at like 30 mph he guns it - so i do to... the engine races and downshifts. I beat him, but it wasnt a true test of what my truck will do. So the next light I take him from the get go.... Im sideways thru the light and home boy is just under the light.... i stopped when I hit 85 and had about 100yards on him... figured he got the point to go pick on some yotas...

So what im saying is - roll into the throttle at mid speeds till your tranny gets into a higher gear, you gotta stay on the edge of downshift.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Sevir
best thing is to get a built tranny, you can also turn off the defuel in the edge under the settings. but make sure you monitor your guages... or you can really break something.
so when i turn the defuel off, my truck will run faster #s or just do better off a roll? Also, how should I be careful, what can break? Motor or trans?
Old 12-29-2006, 10:43 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by VikingDiesel
so when i turn the defuel off, my truck will run faster #s or just do better off a roll? Also, how should I be careful, what can break? Motor or trans?
If your trans is slipping and the Edge is trying to protect it by defueling, I would say your trans is what's at risk.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:50 AM

If your trans is slipping and the Edge is trying to protect it by defueling, I would say your trans is what's at risk.
also keep a eye on the EGT's...you can cook your turbo with excessive EGT
Old 12-29-2006, 10:55 AM

So, back to defueing again, turn it off and my truck will be faster? Mainly keep on EYE on EGT temps?
Old 12-29-2006, 11:00 AM

where on the menu can you turn off the slippage thing?
Old 12-29-2006, 02:01 PM

You are in bad need of a tranny and a tcc lockup controller

Kevin
Old 12-29-2006, 02:18 PM

yea...i wouldnt turn it off. you are going to break something and they will know exactly what caused it. you need a built tranny. i guess you could turn it off and just figure that youre going to be buying a new one either way, either because you want to race for real or because you broke yours. your warranty will be voided.
Old 12-29-2006, 02:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by VikingDiesel
So, back to defueing again, turn it off and my truck will be faster? Mainly keep on EYE on EGT temps?
Its a combination of the Juice defueling, the ECU defueling, and the trans protecting itself. The ECU will not allow full fuel under 12 psi boost and/or 1800 rpm's and the Juice respects that.

The best you can do without a lot of transmission mods is use a lockup switch and a little judicious foot work. Hit the throttle enough to get the trans to downshift to drive then engage the lockup switch then mash it to the floor. At the speeds you are talking about WOT will generally drop to 2nd, unlock the TC, and hit the rev limiter. It takes a bit of practice but coordinating the throttle and lockup will give you a much better rolling power punch. Just get the rpms up around 2200 before hitting the lockup or you will have major problems with TC slip and possibly the input shaft. Even doing what I suggested with the Juice will start to kill your trans. Start saving.

Quick Reply: Why does my truck SUCK off a roll but does awesome off a line?