Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

What do Ford dealers drive?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 02:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink What do Ford dealers drive?

My brother's wife's cousin is a Ford dealer. When my brother went to his house for a Christmas party a few weeks ago he entered the house through the basement and guess what the Ford dealer had hidden in his basement garage?........................

A 2002 Dodge CTD!

My bro said to the dealer/cousin, " That's exactly like my brothers truck, what are you doing with a Cummins?"

He said the dealer looked up at him kind of sheepishly and said, " We use it to haul vehicles to and from the auctions".

When my brother asked him why he didn't have a PSD, the dealer told him, "The Cummins is a better truck". LOL
Old 01-05-2005, 03:18 PM

One of my good friend's Dad drives a Cummins and he works at the plant where all of the F-250/F-350/Excursions are made. He gets a lot of flak for it.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:02 PM

Flack or no flack, the dealers know they're selling junk diesels to unknowing buyers. I was one of the unsuspecting buyers. Truth is, you can't beat the I-6 w/ a V-anything when it comes to low-end torque. You put diesel in and you get gasser performance.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:08 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A lot of people want that gasser performance though. Come on, dood, get wiff it..

I want to see "gasser" minded Diesels- they can be designed for the same applications as gassers and get better performance. Unfortunately, they are placing Powerstrokes, which belong in Crown Victorias and Excursions, into trucks. "Gasser" minded Diesels are necessary for the future of the Diesel movement, the only problem is that they're putting them where they don't belong.

Then again, a lot of people like that kind of power curve, expecially when towing under or about 10,000 pounds. It makes barreling down the desert a lot of fun, until a hottie brunette hitch-hiker pops out of no where and you have to go from 110 to 0 in about three seconds to avoid blowing her off the side of the road and pick her up...

You also can't deny that, believe it or not, a lot of truckers run V's, as do boats, aircraft, trains and light trucks.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:30 PM

I work a Chevy dealership. When asked why I drive a CTD instead of the D-max, I say "Because I use it!"
Old 01-05-2005, 09:14 PM

I bought my truck from a Chevy dealership. They used it for a year towing a wedge loaded with auction cars on it. I got a pretty good deal on it, since I knew how they used it, so they couldn't say it was the little old lady's ride. The Owner tried to make out like he was losing money, but you should have seen the rage and red face he had when I told him it probably more than made up the difference hauling cars to auction. I bet my salesman got chewed on after I left!!
Old 01-08-2005, 08:18 PM

shoulda seen the look i got today, show up at a ford dealer in a 04 diesel and there like lookin to trade? Im like nah lookin for a application. ( put ina few apps at the local dealers) But hey why not. THe way the ford owners keep comming back. Ill be set selling them new trucks every few years :P
Old 01-08-2005, 09:23 PM

You also can't deny that, believe it or not, a lot of truckers run V's, as do boats, aircraft, trains and light trucks.
locomotive prime mover engines pretty much need to be a V configuration to make it fit the chassis. there was some inline engines in the past [as well as some of the FM opposed cylinder engines] but the V allows you to have more power in a smaller package. at my work [CN], all our main units are V16's [we have some v12's too, as well as we work on the wisconson central V20 units too] and if they were inline 16's the engine would be double in length and would be way too long. the engines we have [GE 4 cycle, GM 2 cycle] both have their conrods arranged so there is no stagger between the cylinders like you get on a smaller V engine. the GE's use an articulated con rod setup, while the GM's use a fork & blade type conrod setup... these engines also use a pretty narrow V, being 45° iirc... while many smaller automotive engines have like 60° & 90° v's
Old 01-09-2005, 03:16 PM

Surely we are not going to compare EMD's to Powerjokes. I think the old 7.3's were pretty good motors. But I think they really screwed up with the 6.0 . Yes, there are big trucks with v's in them. But the vast majority are inline 6's. The old 567 and 645 series EMD's are great engines. Super stout block and crank and simple to work on. Gotta love those crab nut's. Now that is torque. Had some get water on top of the piston and bend the con rod's, but just kept on running. Not sure how the new H series are doing with all the electronic's But I believe I am straying off topic here. The point is the Ford dealer is selling cars too make a living. But he is bright because he bought a Cummins to tow with. Kind of like me buying a Ford gasser for the wife to drive, but a real truck for me to pull stuff with.
Old 01-09-2005, 03:51 PM

Depens on what kind of "truckers" yhour talking. Some of the older hd the 2cycle detroit v style, Totally diffrent monster there. For the most part the class 8 trucks you see ( atlest in the united states) are I6 But mainly for the low torque hyou get with them. the smaller series straight trucks and what not may have v style in them. But itll probably be an international truck using the v engine.

I do love my cummins truck. But I only discovered the cummins due to my dodge love One thing i belive. The powerstroke is designed for the ford truck. Not 100% on the duramax but im sure its designed for chevy. And probably to give them the life expectancy they wanted. Remember they make money off of failing parts. Doddge is using an engine that was designed back in the day for heavier duty applications. But they have also detuned the engine a bit and redesigned it for their applications. hence why we can pull so much more out of it. We just get lucky that way. I think if we ever get a new ( not cummins) engine well ahve the same problems ford and chevy have. Until then all i can say is

i dont see your turbo? Oh yeah you had to squeeze it in there my bad. Hey mines right here
Old 01-09-2005, 04:07 PM

Almost all modern OTR trucks run I6 configuration........

The few examples that I have run that weren't and come to mine ( and are only medium duty) are the venerable 3208 Clatterpillar....... A.K.A "The Screaming err?? Kitty"

And the Wonderful 8.2 L Detroit. AKA "The Time Bomb" or Msoquito killer.
Old 01-09-2005, 10:49 PM

i am a technician at a chevy dealership and i still drive a cummins, i don't get the oppertunity to drive it to work cuz boss says i can't for jobs sake, but oh well , my old rattlin noisy and smelly 12 valve ( as so the duraturd boys would say) will still out-lug and out-pull them loaded(it is a truck and not a drag racer). considering that i am smart enough to drive a real diesel truck and not rich enough to drive a duramax,,,,,, i think i got the better end of the deal
Old 01-09-2005, 10:57 PM

I drive a ford and work at GM. Not rich enough to buy the duracrap and i'm about to buy a 12V.