Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Used grease has no use

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Used grease has no use

What do you do with used grease?

I'm rebuilding the front axle for my Toyota and I have removed a bucket of grease - one side is watery the other is just nasty, dirty grease. So, I 've got a lot of grease to get rid of but am unsure if I should just take it down to Schucks and throw it in the used oil container or wait for the hazmat trash pickup.

Throwing it in the landfill is not an option. I wonder if Popeyes would want it...
Old 06-25-2007, 01:57 PM
Banned

i took all my used oil...motor oil from my boat, and the oil when i did my diffs, along with about 20 blue shop towels to walmart and they got rid of it for me. or pour it on a burn pile

brett
Old 06-25-2007, 02:39 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a barrel out on the land I put trash in to burn. Used oil, grease and filters get burned in it.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Joe T
I have a barrel out on the land I put trash in to burn. Used oil, grease and filters get burned in it.
just dont get caught by the TCEQ..they can be some real tough characters!

brett
Old 06-25-2007, 02:43 PM
Banned

what's TCEQ?
Old 06-25-2007, 02:47 PM
Banned

texas commission on enviromental quality IIRC. they used to be called something else...basically if someone is burning illegally and wont put it out when the fd requests or the fire marshall does the TCEQ can write them a huge ticket for it. chances are they wont bug you unless your a commercial guy doing it over and over again.

brett
Old 06-25-2007, 03:03 PM

I actually save all my old/used fluids. I have a 275 gal centrifical feed fuel tank at my place, I keep it full of ULSD. The bottom support legs form a rack that has space for 4 horizontal barrels of storage, that's where I store my used fluids. I have one for used dyno crankcase oil, 1 for used ATF tranny fluid, 1 for used diff fluid, and 1 for used synthetic crankcase oil. I strain and filter ALL the used fluids into these barrels that I take out of my vehicles at fluid change time.

I run a small oil burning heater in my garage and burn the dyno oil in it during the winter. I know, environmental issues, etc are reasoning NOT to burn the stuff, but it IS an excellent source for fuel that I alreay have PAID for, the stuff does have value.

I keep the other fluids just in case hard time come along and I have NO OTHER choice than to use them, or, I could barter them for something I need. I have several barrels that are empty just in case I have filled up the horizontal ones, and I have cranks to move fluids into the horizontal more easily used barrels.

CD
Old 06-25-2007, 03:08 PM
Banned

dont get me wrong guys...i have no problem with burning oil, i just saw joe was in texas and didnt want him to get in trouble. i think its a waste to have to dump the stuff! when i lived in oklahoma i might have witnessed it get dumped on the back of the property...im not a tree hugger by ANY means

brett
Old 06-25-2007, 03:11 PM

Many places have used oil burners, most quick lube shops in MI have used oil burners. I was talking to a local owner of a gas station/repair shop and he actually pulls in a pretty hefty profit selling his used oil to other area shops that use it to heat their facility, he just has yet to buy a heater himself.

They make some very clean burning heaters out there, i've been looking into myself for my garage, they are pretty pricey though .
Old 06-25-2007, 04:10 PM
Banned

Theres oil recyclers in most countys, and i'm sure they deal with grease as well. It's worth dropping it off at one of there centers because we don't need any more emmision laws to restrict new vehicles, I know it sounds like a tree hugger thing, but if people just burn it to get rid of it, can't complain when the new trucks have emmision laws that make it illegal to mod ur truck or somthing.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you don't really have to be a tree hugger to not want to waste the stuff, or see it turned into pollution of some kind. Dumping it on the ground just makes a mess or gets it in the water somehow. I'd rather see it recycled or used for heating oil myself, but I actually AM somewhat of a tree hugger, so there you go...

I also am a sawyer and a user of wood of all kinds.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:29 PM
Banned

As far as my doing 5 quarts of oil in a barrel of trash and tree limbs burns like crazy and goes into the atmosphere and a tree eats the carbon dioxide and something eats the tree and poops it out and the circle of life continues. I can draw a diagram if you need.

For industrial uses if you have over 55 gallons of oil they'll come pick it up free, just pick up your phone book. They charge $1 per gallon of water that's mixed in though..