Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Another reason to use Dielectric grease on connections! (Photo)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another reason to use Dielectric grease on connections! (Photo)

I helped my friend install a new valve cover gasket on his 2001 Pontiac grand prix-I had to move the plug wires, & was shocked to see the rust under the spark plue wire, which was attached to the coil pack. Very rusted coils, and deep inside the plug wire, it was full of rust! he should have used dielectric grease in the plug wires!! I always do....
Attached Thumbnails Another reason to use Dielectric grease on connections! (Photo)-coil-pack.jpg  
Old 08-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I am a firm believer in the stuff!! Use it all the time.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Very important on trailer plug connection to the truck. Brakes, lights, charging all depend on it.
Bob
Old 08-03-2012, 06:35 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
preaching to the choir...
Old 08-04-2012, 10:26 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

I use it on a lot of things but never thought about it on ignition stuff.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:39 PM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Originally Posted by Bark
I use it on a lot of things but never thought about it on ignition stuff.
I started using it on ignition stuff (particularly plug wires) many years ago when I was turning wrenches for a living and got tired of tearing plug wires when removing them. I put it on every wire. Even if I would never see the vehicle again I knew the next guy would appreciate it!
Old 08-05-2012, 10:24 AM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let me get this right. Dielectric grease will stop corrosion but does not impede electrical conductivity? Good to know, there are only about 100 electrical connections on the trucks, trailers, tractors, quads etc that I have to fight rust and corrosion every year. I had to replace the trailer plug on my truck this week because of corrosion. When I plugged it in, the lights etc were erratic and then I saw smoke coming out of the connector. I will put a bit of dielectric grease on the trailer and truck connectors now.

BTW, I can't find plugs on truck in sig to put dielectric grease on.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tallguy67
Let me get this right. Dielectric grease will stop corrosion but does not impede electrical conductivity? Good to know, there are only about 100 electrical connections on the trucks, trailers, tractors, quads etc that I have to fight rust and corrosion every year. I had to replace the trailer plug on my truck this week because of corrosion. When I plugged it in, the lights etc were erratic and then I saw smoke coming out of the connector. I will put a bit of dielectric grease on the trailer and truck connectors now.

BTW, I can't find plugs on truck in sig to put dielectric grease on.
yup.
I do it on new rides too when I get one. pull the plug wires or coils, and grease them. pull sensor plugs, grease them. Coat battery terminal.

Originally Posted by rockcrawler304
I started using it on ignition stuff (particularly plug wires) many years ago when I was turning wrenches for a living and got tired of tearing plug wires when removing them. I put it on every wire. Even if I would never see the vehicle again I knew the next guy would appreciate it!
I do the same with anti seize.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:54 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Originally Posted by Tallguy67
Let me get this right. Dielectric grease will stop corrosion but does not impede electrical conductivity?
Use caution though since it doesn't conduct electricity it can actually block current in a connection that just barely contacts.
Other wise it seems like you can use it on anything.

The lights on my boat trailer (salt water launches) used to have to be overhauled every year.
Using big globs of D-grease on every connector and socket really helped.
Seems like if the connection or socket worked after greasing it, it would still be working a couple of years later.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
preaching to the choir...
THIS is why I don't have spark plugs!!!!

FWIW, I use the white spray lithium grease on everything now.

put the straw on it, and shoot it down in the cracks.

what's even worse, is the overhead cam cars with the plugs WAY DOWN in the head, if the wire breaks off down there, you got a problem.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:52 PM

Just bought a new Subaru. It supposodly has spark plugs but I dont see any or the spark plug wires.

I think they may have ripped me off.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by 04ctd
THIS is why I don't have spark plugs!!!!

FWIW, I use the white spray lithium grease on everything now.

put the straw on it, and shoot it down in the cracks.

what's even worse, is the overhead cam cars with the plugs WAY DOWN in the head, if the wire breaks off down there, you got a problem.
I use the dielectric grease on every electrical connection. clean it up with a stiff brush and contact cleaner. pack it with grease, plug it in and dont worry about it again till next time....