Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Turkey hunters

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turkey hunters

Anyone shot a turkey yet? They're giving me fits already, all henned up and won't come to a call yet, just answer from the roost. I've got some catching up to do, didn't kill one last year. The mighty 10 gauge is ready to bust some heads here this week. Post some pics if ya got em.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:47 AM
Banned

Got my first one about 6 years ago, team hunt, buddy was calling, I was the shooter. tricky setup, got closer to the birds than I would have liked and thought for sure I got spotted setting the decoy. well the toms came in and on my signal my buddy stopped calling. the birds strutted around at about 20 yards and finally lost interest one at a time, the big one was the last to start to leave, finally my chance to draw my bow as he was walking straight away from me, dropped the pin on the base of his neck and released >>>----------> . That arrow found its mark and the expanding broadhead opened up nearly removing the head from the bird ! Well the other three birds came in to kick that tom while he was down, too excited to let my buddy try a shot but we got mine. 23 3/4 lbs gutted, 11 1/2 inch beard, 1 3/4 inch spurs. Big ole fan for the wall with the arrow all mounted on the wall. Best dang tastin woods bird I ever got!
Old 04-23-2006, 09:23 AM

Next weekend is kids day, than the 1st we can start huntin'. Its alot more fun than any other kind of hunting that I have ever done. Cant wait to get out in the woods and kill something.

Coop
Old 04-23-2006, 03:48 PM

Man that's tough with a bow. 23 lbs is huge! I just give em 2 1/4 oz's of #4's in the dome. I shot one a couple years ago that was 21 lbs, that's really good for around here. Beards over 10" are exceptional too. They were easy to kill up until last year, now they're getting really wary and slick. Seems like they aren't interested in hen calls at all, just want to fight with eachother. Had some fight for over an hour last year, about a hundred yards out in the field from me.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys need to come down this way. We are covered up in birds. Last weekend we called in 12 toms between 2 of us in around 6 hours. Went back out this weekend to see what was around and called in more. Should have waited a week, the birds were bigger.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:39 PM

Killed one last thursday with a 8in beard and 3/4 in spurs. Called him into 25 yards and the number 5's did the trick
Old 04-24-2006, 06:52 AM
Banned

Talked to one awhile opeing day, I guess I didn't sound like his kind of girl... He never would come out of the woods into he field...

Been so slammed with work I haven't been out since.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:41 AM

I usually go out with my muzzle loader. Haven't been turkey hunting in ages, though. Time to blow the dust off the Hawkins.
Old 04-28-2006, 06:14 AM

Got a nice gobbler this morning, about 6:15. Just got a new farm to hunt this year, went out and listened for a while this morning. Drove around the farm lanes and stopped and called a couple times, got one answer. Grabbed my gear and ran across a big field, sat under a pine tree about 10 yards inside the woods edge. He was still on the roost, got him pretty fired up. He flew down in the other direction, had me worried for a minute. Got him fired up again, kept cutting off his gobbles with some cackles on my aluminum slate call. He started coming in, I could see glimpses of him through the woods, big ol white head strutting through there gave me the shakes. Switched to a box call, and made some really soft purrs with my left hand and aimed with my right. Finally came out from behind some hollies at about 30 yards, busted his head with some #4's from my 10 gauge. Had a 10.5" beard, about 1" spurs and right around 20 lbs. Man, that really got me pumped up. Like having a big 10 pointer right under your bow stand. Whew!