Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

The stop-drop and roll DTR Breakroom—Its HOT!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rough news for y'all in the foul weather zone ... stick to your guns Fronty ...don't think $7500 is gonna cover it with a "reputable" repair crew. At least everyone was safe.

Enjoying a fantastic day leveling the fill dirt for my 30x30 shop concrete floor. Got 2/3 of it level and now have a huge pile of fill in the middle left over to spread in the yard to improve the soil so I can get some grass to grow by my pine trees. Lot of high iron content dirt up there ... like an old iron ore tailings spot. The little rocks stick in the grooves of your tires and when they shake loose on the road ... they rust. Odd stuff.

Y'all be safe ... hug your family ... call your folks ...enjoy your friends...think of your military ... and above all else, thank God for giving you the opportunity !!

Cheers,
PISTOL
Old 04-16-2011, 12:16 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Im not overly concerned about the cost, just as long as insurance is covering the cost...
Old 04-16-2011, 02:06 PM

Received 426 Likes on 326 Posts
Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
Im not overly concerned about the cost, just as long as insurance is covering the cost...
Just glad you weren't hurt. I guess there is no place safe. Want a major earthquake? We are past due and I'm sure you can get it for a song.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:13 PM
DTR Mom

wow, Fronty, good sized tree. for about 200 bucks or less (and covered by home insurance) you may opt to call a home inspector, please don't assume any insurance company is looking out for you. they are paid to minimize loss to the company, not represent you. seen too many homes damaged as a building inspector and fire fighter to think otherwise.....

Scotty, geesh that is just a sleepless night for ya! reason for the old goodbye of "Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise"....hope all travels are safe ones...

chaikwa, as with anything else, we do our own work here; there is no one to ask. 10 years ago you may have put cheap furring strips down or for barn use, not so today. you want to minimize the gap so that wind, vermin and condensation do not cause trouble or premature failure.
we lay titainium for the barrier bond and sure footing needed for a 6/12 pitch with ropes and harness. can't wait for the self moving 4x4 coming in tuesday.

while not a bit bad like OK or AL, wind and heavy rain woke us up at 2AM to retrieve some 19 foot steel panels. 2x4s were not enough, we put 12 foot 6x6s over them. fierce winds today.

got an antique saddle stitcher for some leather repair work on coats, work boots. planted seeds in dirt, third time's a charm I guess.

Stan, call Texas Ag and Markets about wild boar. then go fishing, no one will be around to stop you......
Old 04-16-2011, 02:14 PM
DTR Mom

we'll be up there in May-June. guess when it will happen......
Old 04-16-2011, 05:16 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Totallyrad
We do this every spring and every fall. This spring just started out a little warm earlier than usual and the jet stream has been bowed and over top of us allot. That drives the warm, moist air off the gulf into the junk that's been coming out of the Seattle area.
The fear up here is whats going to happen when the Jet stream moves above us. It will.

Originally Posted by Mexstan
Good morning. Boy, do I feel for you guys that are experiencing all that horrible weather! Almost makes me feel guilty for ribbing y'all about me living in Paradise. Hope everybody comes out of this OK.

Scotty, anything floating yet? At least you will not experience a tsunami.
With all the snow that dropped last night and more coming tonight, we all could be floating if their predictions of an Historic flood happens. Things are just getting grim.

Originally Posted by Justwannabeme

Scotty, geesh that is just a sleepless night for ya! reason for the old goodbye of "Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise"....hope all travels are safe ones...

You can feel the tension with folks around here now. Theres no place for the water to go with the ground either still frozen or saturated. Its rising more after the snow and when the heat hits here in a few days...
Old 04-16-2011, 06:46 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
... the lintel is probably bent and will need replacing. That is the steel angle iron that spans the window and supports everything above the window.
I thought a 'lintel' was some kinda noodle or something.

Got a call from an old friend last night just before 2200. His wife is in UAB ICU, they're just waiting on God to take her. She been sick for a while now and having fluid drained off her abdomen every week, infection finally set in.
Saying a prayer from here for Him to take her before too much more suffering is experienced.

Originally Posted by Mexstan
Boy, do I feel for you guys that are experiencing all that horrible weather! Almost makes me feel guilty for ribbing y'all about me living in Paradise.
We all kid around Stan and we know when to and NOT to. Don't feel guilty.

wow, Fronty, good sized tree. for about 200 bucks or less (and covered by home insurance) you may opt to call a home inspector, please don't assume any insurance company is looking out for you.
What she said!

chaikwa, as with anything else, we do our own work here; there is no one to ask.
Oh! I thought you said you had a crew there doing it for you.

10 years ago you may have put cheap furring strips down or for barn use, not so today. you want to minimize the gap so that wind, vermin and condensation do not cause trouble or premature failure.
I think it was 2007 or 2008 we had that done. The gap was all sealed up at the ridge, the ends and the soffits so there'll be no wind getting under it! They just said the air gap was needed to PREVENT sweating, that's why I was wondering.

Evening y'all.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:58 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Wow, they report 16 people dead from the storms today - - OUCH. What horrible weather. Like Stan, I will shut up - - not fair. Wish I could send you some of ours right now.

Busy day today with lots done - - heading for Boca Grande tomorrow and look at some more property - - wow, the prices are amazing. Only problem down there is getting insurance on it. That hurts. Neat place and the fishing is outstanding. These places were going for just shy of 1 million two years ago. They are begging for buyers now. Pretty complex with boat dockage and the works. Hmmmm?????

OK, better go keep the blonde company. Stay safe, gang - - eyes open, shelter close by.

Bob