Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Stop the Rock-n-Roll!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 10:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stop the Rock-n-Roll!

My RV really rocks from side to side. I have the usual rear stabilizers and the pin stabilizer, but she still moves around quite a bit. Just normal walking through the RV will set her in motion. Any idea on how to minimize the movement? Would it help if I put some supports under the living room slide? Sign me...Seasick
Old 01-19-2005, 11:31 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Buzz,
Do not put jacks under your slides. Picture this - - flat tire while jacks under the slides. OUCH.

I hear a lot of good things about using the chocks that go between the tires. I have not used them, but a lot of people really swear by them. One type is made by BAL and they have them at Camping World - - and other places I am sure. You might want to give it a try. This goes right between the two axles and is tightened against the tires. One tires goes up while the other tries to go down when the "motion" is started. This cancels it. ROTOCHOCKS is one name hammered around a lot.

Bob
Old 01-20-2005, 12:19 AM

Mine has never rocked unless i didn't get enough wt off the springs. I usually just drop the nose about 2 inches below level, put the rear stabilizers down solidly (lift rear of trailer about 2 inches, then raise the nose to level. If your springs aren't kind of out of the equation, it sure won't stabilize.

You may well be doing this, but sometimes the simplest ones are the ones overlooked.

BTW, I don't use a pin stabilizer, but I've only got anout 900 lbs of pin weight.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:22 AM

Rotochoks. That will make a world of difference. I agree with the caution about using support under the slide. Not too often Bob is right.

Casey
Old 01-20-2005, 07:54 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Brakesmartless Bob has a great suggestion and so does great White eh.

How old are the tires on your trailer? They could be older then the trailer. What side wall rating are they? Wheel chocks won't do much for the side to side movement, a stronger sidewall and what great white mentioned will.

There is also a 5th wheel stabalizer on the market too. The few that I saw were like a tri pod that hooked to the coupler. Anyone that had one said it really helped a lot.

Scotty
Old 01-20-2005, 08:49 AM

Try a set of these on for size; Wynes RV Stabilizer. They ar available at Camping World.
And as someone else said, you need to lower the front of th 5Vr about 2-3" set the rear stabilizers and then raise the front until level. This will get the weight off the tires and shocks to stop the side to side movement you get. Does it rock like that when attached to the truck
It shouldn't rock as much because of the extra balance point and the weight on the truck, if it does then most definatley check the tires and the springs on the 5VR.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:26 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by Casey Balvert
Rotochoks. That will make a world of difference. I agree with the caution about using support under the slide. Not too often Bob is right.

Casey
PPPHHHHHHTTTTTTTT
Old 01-20-2005, 01:26 PM

Shocks

I had a 33ft with double slides and it came with shock absorbers as standard equipment. I used the expanding chock between the wheels and a fifth wheel pin jack with the double front jacks and rear stabilizers. Remember that the stabilizers are for stabilization only and are not jacks. I had no problems with movement on this unit when everything was extended and in use. I think that the shocks added some stability to the unit as well as giving it a much more stable ride. Most trailers don't come with shocks, and they should, as sometimes when you put too much stress on the frame it will create problems elswhere. I used to lighten the load on the tires when setting up by putting more pressure on the rear stabilizers and front jack. This is a definate no no as most units are not made to handle this type of stress. Go to Trailer Life web site and look for the answer on their forums and articles. You might be suprised at what you will find out.