Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Spring Break BreakRoom March 17 - 23

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 05:33 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
It's morning - - time to rse and shine. NO coffee, ph00, snacks, nuttin. Where is janitor? OK Scott, AGAIN, I will help you out - - coffee on, ph00 on, hot water for Claude on, and found something on our counter that I brought that the blonde made - - - some rhubarb custard pie - - she made 2 so brought one - - family recipe. Ummmm good. Enjoy.

Heading out to conquer the world. ................uhhhh, well, maybe just my lanai. Big fireworks and heavy rain for about 3 hours last night - - still too dark to tell, but I may have to wait a while to begin work. Oh well, enjoy another ph00. Have a gudurn.

Bob
Old 03-23-2013, 08:17 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Justwannabeme
fly by------snow and wind all day.

Tallone- enjoy those days free! good suggestion! boiling sap with the final process actually less than half inch deep. kinda cool challenge to get a system going that makes it easier on me.

experimented with glass/ceramic containers indoors AND Spring cleaning house. timed well all day, but had a too evaporated boil in a glass cooking vessel.
reached a ladle across the super heated glass....heard the tell tale 'tink' and ran for the living room. explosion rivals C-4a or vault door stuff.

over flowed supper too, more I cleaned the more mess popped up elsewhere.
whupped, shower n bed.
Man I hate the smell of exploding/burning sugar...

Being the born again burned out electronics guy I am, I rigged a dual probe thermocouple sensor for my main boil. One probe in the syrup, one in gently boiling water on the back burner. Water boils at different temps depending on the weather. Varies by a few degrees. When the temp difference hits 7° F, an alarm goes off.

I do the main boil in a couple of big stainless soup kitchen kettles. Filter it when it's thin, about 20% sugar, then finish it in a sauce pan. Makes the final filtering a lot easier.

Also bought a $40 used stove and put it in on the porch so if above said burn/explosion occurs, at least most of the smoke is outside. Finish is inside on the kitchen stove with the alarm setup.

Now I have to go bribe the admiral to make me some pancakes. Getting hungry for some maple syrup.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by Tallguy67
You don't need to hold me, but I am checking in again
Take it from an old tymer. You need to work on your priorities.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by FiverBob
It's morning - - time to rse and shine. NO coffee, ph00, snacks, nuttin. Where is janitor? OK Scott, AGAIN, I will help you out - - coffee on, ph00 on, hot water for Claude on, and found something on our counter that I brought that the blonde made - - - some rhubarb custard pie - - she made 2 so brought one - - family recipe. Ummmm good. Enjoy.

Heading out to conquer the world. ................uhhhh, well, maybe just my lanai. Big fireworks and heavy rain for about 3 hours last night - - still too dark to tell, but I may have to wait a while to begin work. Oh well, enjoy another ph00. Have a gudurn.

Bob
Hope the natural firewood maker didn't get too rambunctious.

Thanks for the coffee. I'll pass on the ph00. The pie WAS good. (burp)
Old 03-23-2013, 09:48 AM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by j_martin
Take it from an old tymer. You need to work on your priorities.
What are you trying to say Mr Martin??
Old 03-23-2013, 10:00 AM
DTR Mom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
spying on T rad, work must be slow :

JM, man I wish i lived closer!!! yup, did a temp timer, hence the ten minute checks. was doing well all day but, as you know, when it came time Baume/brix scale to syrup- that change goes extremely quick.
was in full foam when the drip of water hit the glass casserole type dish. probably an original Corning glassware from the 50s.
I do a four pan progressive now, much quicker. still learning and having fun though. 8 gallons sap in five hours. today's batch is black walnut syrup to see what the heck that is like.....yesterday's maple I made "Wolfy Red" in honor of my neighbor, very very thick but clear, dark cherry red with light sweetness so you eat more....lol
backwoods boy likes his black and muddy from open fire. it is not for chemist me, I like the "fine wine" approach. despite boiling eggs in the front pan yesterday.....lol(local tradition).

me N Chris N chaikwa!! strong team for March b days~28th!!
Old 03-23-2013, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
*SOMEONE* like me?? Mine is next week as well...
No, I wasn't referring to you, I was referring to my sista. Kinda blows my theory of 'all good people were born in March' now tho!

Originally Posted by Justwannabeme
I do a four pan progressive now, much quicker.
Quicker isn't always better y'know!

Afternoon all.

Got hung up trying to post this mornings report. It WAS all typed out, but it hung up after hitting submit. Finally got sick of waiting and shut it off. Don't know where it went, don't care. The FORD AD probably sucked it up and spit it out!
Old 03-23-2013, 02:24 PM

I had a couple quote-and-reply messages saved, then went and copied a picture location to post it to facebook, and lost it all. It's all your fault, Mr Martin!!!

I have a cat or two that's working on committing suicide by stepping into the path of a 12 gauge pheasant load. They get into the basement while I am stoking the fire, then go through the crawl space to the back basement, and have figured out how to open the accordian-folding door into the kitchen. They got into my butter and bread yesterday. Then after I tossed a bunch of wood in yesterday three of them came into the kitchen, I led them out the front door with a bowl of milk, and the last one came in past them. It flipped out, tried climbing the windows, and crapped all over the floor as it jumped up trying to climbing the glass in the storm door. If I had any super cloibri's for the 22 it woulda died right in the house.

The bar I frequent is closing Wednesday. Sale is Saturday. Thinking of sending someone and seeing if the ice machine can be bought really cheap. 3 pool tables as well but I don't have any place to put one. Would probably go right through my floor.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:04 PM
DTR Mom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=chaikwa;3174518]Quicker isn't always better y'know!

when you are my age, it is...

oh, wait! .............snicker snicker

Easter eggs colored, second son over working on his truck, snacking on delicious chocolate (slap hand) and taking second son and hubby to the
remote, limited open, restaurant all U can eat pancakes fer supper.
radio playing " I'm gonna drink myself single tonight", got brochure for
Key West deals. ohhhhhhhhhh mannnnn, don't get much better!
Old 03-23-2013, 06:17 PM

Wow, quiet day in the breakroom.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:25 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tallguy67
Wow, quiet day in the breakroom.
well it was.............

now ya ruined it....
Old 03-23-2013, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by scot pa
I had a couple quote-and-reply messages saved, then went and copied a picture location to post it to facebook, and lost it all. It's all your fault, Mr Martin!!!
Who, me?
Old 03-23-2013, 09:56 PM

I may not be shutting down the breakroom, but I will tidy up and get us ready for the morning. The coffee perc for old schoolers like me, drip machine for more refined tastes and ph00 machine for those who swing that way are all setup to go.
JWBM donated a jar of maple syrup and Bark and I turned it into about 5 pounds of lazy maple rashers. Throw that in a cast iron pan in the morning and then fry the eggs in the bacon fat and we are golden. Maybe fry a little bread in the drippings that are left.

The breakroom is getting quiet these days so if there are newbies in the shadows, speak up and get known. With the exception of Chaikwa, we don't bite. To be fair, Chaikwa only bites if you don't change the batteries in your smoke detectors or if you are irresponsible with fire. Don't be afraid of the dragon, it is pretty nice and it REALLY likes beer battered shrews.

Have a good evening all y'all. Keep your head up and keep your stick on the ice.