Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Spring Break BreakRoom March 17 - 23

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 04:57 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Spring Break BreakRoom March 17 - 23

Rise and shine and join in - - Coffee, ph00 (new wonderful blend) and sprinkles here for you enjoyment including petting the dragon (if it is awake - - if not, don't try it).

Have a great one.

Bob
Old 03-17-2013, 06:23 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts
G'day all. Trying the ph00, hmmm, not bad, but think I will still stay with real coffee.
Back "home" in northern China. Already hate the air pollution. After spending a month with brilliant blue skies every day and fantastic air temperatures, this 'stuff' here is a major shock to my system. Already looking forward to my next trip home in July to get away from this. Today was classed as 'foggy' and all day could not see more than a mile. Even at a 1/4 of mile, things were hazy, and no, that is not my vision. Just extreme air pollution.

Just realized a few days ago that I now live very close to all the sabre rattling coming out of Pyongyang. Although I am north of that city, by air it is about an hours flight. Hope none of their bombs come my way.

While most of you are getting up, I am about to go to bed. The 14 hour time difference is hard on my poor body and I need to be up and ready for work in about 12 hours.

Hope all of you have a good what's left of the day.

Good night, morning, day.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:24 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FiverBob
Coffee, ph00 (new wonderful blend) and sprinkles here for you enjoyment including petting the dragon
Wow, Bob actually DID something today! Opening the breakroom AND making the coffee... I think I may faint! Just take it easy with that 'petting the dragon' stuff Bob. At your age, that kinda activity may put a strain on your heart!

Sunday, March 17th, St Patrick's Day.

***0461 - Bishop Patrick, St. Patrick, died in Saul. Ireland celebrates this day in his honor.

1756 - St. Patrick's Day was celebrated in New York City for the first time. The event took place at the Crown and Thistle Tavern.

1776 - British forces evacuated Boston to Nova Scotia during the Revolutionary War.

1914 - Russia increased the number of active duty military from 460,000 to 1,700,000.

1930 - Al Capone was released from jail.

1942 - Douglas MacArthur became the Supreme Commander of the Allied forces in the Southwestern Pacific.

1944 - During World War II, the U.S. bombed Vienna.

1950 - Scientists at the University of California at Berkeley announced that they had created a new radioactive element. They named it "californium". It is also known as element 98.

1961 - The U.S. increased military aid and technicians to Laos.

1962 - Moscow asked the U.S. to pull out of South Vietnam.

1966 - A U.S. submarine found a missing H-bomb in the Mediterranean off of Spain.

1972 - U.S. President Nixon asked Congress to halt busing in order to achieve desegregation.

1973 - The first American prisoners of war (POWs) were released from the "Hanoi Hilton" in Hanoi, North Vietnam.

1999 - A panel of medical experts concluded that marijuana had medical benefits for people suffering from cancer and AIDS.

2000 - In Kanungu, Uganda, a fire at a church linked to the cult known as the Movement for the Restoration of the Ten Commandments killed more than 530. On March 31, officials set the number of deaths linked to the cult at more than 900 after authorities subsequently found mass graves at various sites linked to the cult.

Today's thought:
When you feel like you're drowning in life, remember that your lifeguard walks on water.

Not bad coffee for elderly stuff!

***Just a few facts about St Patrick:
Saint Patrick was a Christian missionary, bishop and apostle of Ireland. He was born in the late 4th century.

Patrick began his first mission to Ireland in 432.

On March 17, 461 A.D., St. Patrick died at Saul, Downpatrick, Ireland.

On March 17, 1762, in New York City, the first St. Patrick's Day parade took place. The parade was held by Irish soldiers serving in the British army.

Today, March 17 is a day of international celebration.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:33 AM

My dad and uncle and 2 other guys got here about 1 Driday afternoon. We BS'd, they tore apart the remains of a couple old steel-wheel wagons for the wheels, went for supper, Keith and Brian stayed in town, my dad and uncle came out here for the night, had breakfast yesterday morning, and they left. Someone had to be home, I think we should have put him on a train!

I think they'll be back. 100+ yr old wagon wheels and axles, they couldn't believe a pair of pliers and small crescent wrench tore them apart.

After they left I went to work, we were pulling fence posts, one was about 8 feet above ground and an old REA pole. It broke at ground level and snapped over and hit me in the shoulder. I think my shoulder is going to be reminding me about it for a couple days.

Dad brought me my old Husqvarna 288. Needs a recoil and flywheel. Thought he was bringing me a Stihl that needed gas lines, he brought me the one that replaced the one that needed gas lines, because he doesn't like it, starts too hard, so he replaced it. So I have three saws now.

They said you can't get anything but safety chain in PA now unless you have a card from passing a chainsaw class or some such a thing. I'd have to go to Ohio to get chains if I was still there.

Boss found my missing saw. It was in town at the body shop in the daycab. He must have put it in there thinking they would drop it at the hardware after dropping off the daycab at the body shop.

Cut a load of what I think is burr oak. Had it mostly cut already, just had to do some splitting and loading.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:54 AM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Scot - that is amazing that you need to take and pass a course before you can buy chainsaw stuff. My wife and I have a small rant occasionally that gov't (yours and ours) has strayed too far into regulating our lives. I absolutely understand that chainsaws can be dangerous. I treat mine with extreme respect and wear lots of protective gear - helmet, face guard, ear protection, gloves, boots, long pants etc. but if I decide to use a chainsaw in a speedo and flip-flops I don't really feel it is the gov't business.

My close for most of these arguments focuses on the fact that I have to take a class to own a firearm, drive a car and so on, but ANYONE can decide to have kids and then when they don't make enough to support them I get to pay for their social assistance. I guess if I am going rant much more, I better move over to the political forum.

Mother Nature seems to be having another hissy fit today. The temp is 5F but we have 50mph to 60 mph winds which are reducing visibility to less than a 1/4 mile (same as Stan), snow drifts are building up again and the windchill makes it feel like -13F. This kind of weather is not supposed to happen in southern Alberta in March!! Bark, Pind and Officer Mark can just take this Arctic front back up north and keep it there until next December. I am ready for spring!!!

Have a good day every and be safe our there. Let's do it to them before they do it to us (I think that was from Hill Street Blues).
Old 03-17-2013, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by Tallguy67
Scot - that is amazing that you need to take and pass a course before you can buy chainsaw stuff.
And people ask why I moved to Nebraska.

That's what they told me, I don't know for sure, haven't been there in over 2 1/2 years now.

Just got a message from dad, they are home.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:39 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Stopped by after a LONG time away. Nice to see Fiver is still making the morning mud! Been busy resurrecting on old 78 Magnum that belonged to my Dad. Finally got it on the road. Condition is very good. It still has the original spare and the can of Chrysler air to inflate it with.

Fiver, the pots getting low....
Old 03-17-2013, 10:17 AM

Sherod, nice to meetcha, since you haven't been around in a while, let me get you back up to speed. Fiver's pot is often pretty low.....
Old 03-17-2013, 11:25 AM
Administrator

2 for Heidi sista

Old 03-17-2013, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Mother Nature seems to be having another hissy fit today. The temp is 5F but we have 50mph to 60 mph winds which are reducing visibility to less than a 1/4 mile (same as Stan), snow drifts are building up again and the windchill makes it feel like -13F. This kind of weather is not supposed to happen in southern Alberta in March!!

Bwahahahahaaaa!

Old 03-17-2013, 12:59 PM

Nice picture, Chaikwa.

One problem I see with that camo: there's three slippers!
Old 03-17-2013, 01:14 PM

Chaikwa, the worst ting about that US/Canada border picture is that I don't think for 1 second that it is fake or PhotoShopped.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:26 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Ho Ho

More snow...expecting another 10 cm.

Greetings... Stan, glad you made it there safe and sound
Scott fix your leek.

Bobby change yer Depends its dragging...full.

mom...good reading your posts...will you be the barge skipper?

All the rest of you DTRonians and DTRoniettes...have a good one.

TallerateGuy...any concerns for flooding are pretty much guaranteed over here and sounds like ND is not prepared for it...very sad news...Pray for a slow thaw.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:34 PM

Scotty - I do pray for a slow thaw BUT the longer this infernal winter goes on the less I expect it to happen. According to the calendar, spring starts in 4 days. You read my weather report from this morning - this is NOT spring weather. This is what it was like here two years ago. That spring I seem to remember that ND was a lake for quite a while. I went to turn over the garden with the antique tractor on the May 24th weekend that year and the tractor went about 4 ft forward before sinking 2 feet down to the axles. It sat there for 2 more weeks until the ground dried up.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:36 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by chaikwa
Wow, Bob actually DID something today! Opening the breakroom AND making the coffee... I think I may faint! Just take it easy with that 'petting the dragon' stuff Bob. At your age, that kinda activity may put a strain on your heart!
Tough when you young whipper snappers can't get out of bed and get things done - - have to make us "mature" ones keep things going. Sad day. ......

Originally Posted by sherod
Fiver, the pots getting low....
That's cuz it is sooooo good. .......................fresh pot brewing.

Sherod, nice to meetcha, since you haven't been around in a while, let me get you back up to speed. Fiver's pot is often pretty low.....
Hmmm, let me remember - - - - 50 - 60 mph winds, low temps, slushy snow - - oooooohhhhhh, that is too bad. I feel so sorry for you.

Originally Posted by Scotty
More snow...expecting another 10 cm.

Bobby change yer Depends its dragging...full.
AWWW, I feel so sorry for you too - - - maybe that mess from ShortGuy will come over there and cream you a good one - - - me will laugh - - while on the beach having my ph00 - - - with a pretty blonde. Yeh. .........

Quick Reply: Spring Break BreakRoom March 17 - 23