Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Spring Break BreakRoom March 17 - 23

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 02:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would prefer one of those sheep paintings over much of what passes for art these days, at least I can see what it is.

My granddad has a airphotograph of the old farm, one day I was looking at it and noticed that there was a lot of grass around the back where the cows used to make it all mud, so I told him I never seen any grass there.
He just giggled in his own funny way, "now thatīs because when that guy came and showed me the original picture, it was mud, and I told him I donīt want that, if Iīd want to see a dang mudhole Iīd just go out there."

"The guy just scratched his head for a moment, then he said heīd be back in a week, and the next week he came back now with the nicest lawn instead of the mud, itīs just painted on the photograph, but you canīt see that, can you? ".

Well I sure canīt, but maybe I should go see Bobs eyeguy, if I could only find him .

Coffee is on, phoo is too, going out to feed the birds.

Slev
Old 03-21-2013, 02:57 AM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Originally Posted by slevhansen
Imaybe I should go see Bobs eyeguy, if I could only find him .
I was going to ask you what the heck you were doing up than I looked at my globe.
Never realized you were 13 hours ahead of FiverBob.
Haaaa, Now I don't feel so bad about him always getting up before me.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:26 AM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

Hey folks. Hope everyone here is.....well, it's obvious that few of you are, for lack of better words, ok.....so I'll just leave that alone. Been very busy the last couple weeks...done a few fly-bys to see what was happening here, just no time to really post.

Looks like History boy is either asleep or having log-in issues.....AGAIN!! Scott, where ever in the world did you find that "calming song????" My daughter and I got a pretty good laugh out of it though. Oh, the rodeo song sure conjurs up memories of days gone by!!!! I still listen to that mess when I'm at work.

Got stuff to get done....see You People later.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:23 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Name:  Spring_zps006a97f4.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  55.3 KB
Old 03-21-2013, 02:40 PM
DTR Mom

Originally Posted by Bark
My idea of a good cigar used to be Swisher Sweets.
Daughter in-law is a real aficionado so she fixes me up with a good one when in Seattle.
However, she has still not convinced me that it is worth risking the fine to bring Cuban's in from Canada.
seperated at birth I say! 1983 I was probationary buffalo FF and being a rare female, would sit quietly next to a ready-to-retire engineer that smoked cherry tobacco in a pipe; avoiding the white fog of cigarette smoke in the squad room. These were still the days of 'tradition'. (being farmer/state prison guard/mechanic, I weighed 100 pounds and could lift and carry 100 pounds)5 months later by Christmas, I had a small package wrapped and left on my billet (former closet). I ASSUMED it was from the father figure pipe guy. It was signed by four of the men who were the toughest on me, behold a pack of SWISHER SWEETS. acceptance!
rest of the story needs whiskey....

yeah, with toronto so close, we NEVER, EVER took the risk of bringing in contraband to the US. I believe we grew up with respect. not fear.
but the NY senator I worked for, had educated me on the finest cigars not available in the US give me a 35 rum maduro anyday! how unladylike tsk tsk

trip up to the big city/ Lake Ontario to pickup "hundreds" of pallets. there were six twelve footers left. one day and picked clean. cool place though- a race car frame fabrication place- 30 man operation. just figured there wouldn't be enough business for that....custom motor installation- hence so many pallets.
saw a brand new /future? all flat black Lotus filling up at a normal gas station. no plates. very much out of place.

I told hubby I want to make a cell phone .45. so I can draw, take a pic as fast as my sidearm. slide up the .45 style grip cover to punch numbers or scroll media screen. I'd make millions i say! millions!!!
hubby said I'd give people heart attacks and be arrested.....

fixing NOLA food to nite, yep. boudin, greens, beans, and special coated then grilled chicken sandwiches. (N'awlins)
Old 03-21-2013, 02:49 PM
DTR Mom

Originally Posted by j_martin
oh golly, how right you are! sad, but so true.

gonna scrap the old lincoln woodstove for the maple sap boil and use a 55 gallon drum for needed higher BTU for the 30 x 40 evaporator pan.

I have many products to make a burn unit from as I walked behind the barn and surveyed all the items. I even have the SS Hardy wood boiler but hate to cut into that......what do you use or what are your thoughts Mighty Michigan Man?! free syrup.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:50 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Justwannabeme

I told hubby I want to make a cell phone .45. so I can draw, take a pic as fast as my sidearm. slide up the .45 style grip cover to punch numbers or scroll media screen. I'd make millions i say! millions!!!
hubby said I'd give people heart attacks and be arrested.....
Where can I buy one? I want.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:17 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Bark
My idea of a good cigar used to be Swisher Sweets.
Daughter in-law is a real aficionado so she fixes me up with a good one when in Seattle.
However, she has still not convinced me that it is worth risking the fine to bring Cuban's in from Canada.

Scot, Scotty, Anyone! Check it out.
http://www.google.com/search?q=corne...ml%3B720%3B411
Cornelis van Leemputten (real name) (1841–1902).
The guy spent his life painting sheep.
He painted some of them different colors, do you know how hard it is to keep a sheep still while you paint it?.
There is one coming up at Christie's next month. Sure would look good in the Breakroom and they really don't eat much.
A chance like this doesn't come up very often.
Those are BaAaaAaAaaAaAaaaaaaaaAAAD!

I got the green light to do as I please...look out folks.

What a stressful trip yesterday. Near zero visibility both ways with winds over 50 mph...and I was going to hit the road today but I couldn't find it...so they closed most of the highways here.
Not much of a chance of heading out tomorrow either because Tallguy is sending us another Alberta Clipper with snow...and wind...and more snow.

Now the talk is the land will either be flooded or too wet for farmers to seed...or it may just be too late for them to plant and get a mature crop...this on top of the potential flooding could really have a big impact on a lot of stuff for all of us.

There are 4 foot high snow drifts in the city...higher ones across the Trans Canada Highway here.

Time to go listen to that Llama Song again...it helped yesterday in the white out!
Old 03-21-2013, 05:15 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

I told hubby I want to make a cell phone .45.
Yeah, you might not want to call anybody while in the bank.

Originally Posted by Scotty
Time to go listen to that Llama Song again...it helped yesterday in the white out!
If I had to listen to the Llama song again I would wade out into the white out, lay down and never get up again.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:25 PM
DTR Mom

Originally Posted by Scotty
I got the green light to do as I please...look out folks.
good news! doing as U please does not mean forget all the troubles U went through to get there, Be Safe!!! luv ya no neck.

Shorts, I would even put rhinestones on it 4 ya!!!

still deciding if I would use it in gangbangerland; my bank loves me.
anyone check out Donnie Wahlberg's "Boston's finest" well done show.

dinner was D lish. my Cajun pal says parishes NE of NOLA are suffering with bad bugsin soil after flooding. feel for all U guys North and South..
Old 03-21-2013, 07:10 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Evening gang - - got on this morning, prepared a lovely greeting and answered questions, pushed SEND - - nuttin - then it timed out and the site went down on my screen. Disgusted and shut the web down and went out and worked.

Originally Posted by chaikwa
Jeez, try an' help a guy out and what thanks do I get? I don't get no respect I tell ya! Look at the bright side; you're what, 60? 70? I'm only 50-ish and I have so many floaters where ever I look, it's like there are bugs flying around in front of me all the time. By the time I'm your age it oughta be REAL fun. Dr says there's nothing that treats it, just gotta put up with it. Too many years of getting arc flashed and metal fragments stuck to my eyeballs. So while YOUR condition is just a by-product of living so dang long, mine is from my own stupidity. Wanna trade paces?
Toldya -- I am 39 - - - believe it - - 39 - - OK, was 39. I cannot tell a lie - - I had a birthday last week. ..........................welding is not good for ya - - did a lot in my teens but not past that - - got smart. Doc says deterioration is not fast so he was encouraging. Just stay on my eye pills and behave. No bright lights, sunglasses outside. Macular - - thanks mom. Clogged arteries - - thanks dad. Hallitosis - - NO THANKS ANYONE. LOL

FiverBob, relax and slightly adjust. there are eye excercises to increase focus to minimize macular degeneration. my foster dad had it (71)and read, drove, painted(artist) to 88. lost the close up ingredients type, anything that needed centering (needle and thread). he described it as a center dot with no clear vision. you will still be independent and remain- very Superbob!
Hmmm, I will have to pursue that thought about exercises. He feels much of my discomfort is allergies. Speaking of allergies and weather, can't believe what is happening up north this year. Sure glad I am down here about now - - gorgeous. 76 today and sunshine all day. Wonderful day.

Busy day with lots done today. Great buy on red mulch today at $1/bag - - wow. Grabbed 50. Got it home and suddenly realized I now have to put it out - - horrors - - maybe I can give it away before the wife sees it. YEH. .... The stupid things I do before the brain kicks in. .......

Bob
Old 03-21-2013, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what do you use or what are your thoughts Mighty Michigan Man?! free syrup.
Me? I don't use anything. I go to the store and buy it!
All the people from my youth used to use big iron kettles over an open fire outside, probably just to keep it 'traditional', y'know? I guess it depends on how serious you're going to get with this. Are you going to do it every year? Or is this a one time thing? If it's going to be an annual event, I think I'd go get some nice 1/4" mild steel somewhere that won't have any impurities from something else impregnated in it to alter the taste and make something decent. Ash pan underneath for easy disposal, decent grates, blower to inject air to control fire intensity... you know, the Scott way!

Originally Posted by FiverBob
I had a birthday last week.
You too? I have one NEXT week! So does *SOMEONE* else here! All good people were built in March!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:31 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
what do you use or what are your thoughts Mighty Michigan Man?! free syrup.
I used to flat pan, 3'x6' pan over a cement block and firebrick structure, old camshafts for a grate. Stack of 15 gallon drums for a chimney.

Very inefficient but I made 90 gallons one year. Burned about 10 bundles of slab wood and durn near killed my kids with overwork and flash burn.

Now I tap a few trees in the yard, boil it down on a kitchen stove on the porch. Make a gallon or so for my own use.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:07 PM
DTR Mom

JM....yeah, did 3 batches now (15 gallons) inside but have 35 stored and 60 on the way. only 6 trees but appearantly good producers.

have to do outside or 15 gallons per hour. about 600 degrees would be a good control, so I have to think (ouch) about the build.

yup, I tried to use the reflective heat from bricks, I have a lot of construction salvage to choose from. those wood fired pizzas do alright, why not syrup? THANKS for the input!

chaikwa, scotbuilt is our new standard of bulletproof! I will handle the heat unit- I want to use your creative brain for turning my 1960s cub cadet into a mini dozer to smooth my logging trails.......
Old 03-21-2013, 10:38 PM

Don't eat it all. If we come back down in the East this fall I want some on my waffles.

Originally Posted by FiverBob
..welding is not good for ya - - Clogged arteries - -
For a sec I thought you were blaming welding for your heart attack.
50 bags of mulch!! If its the 2cuF bags that adds up. Have fun.

Busy packing stuff up so I can escape to the sun.

Quick Reply: Spring Break BreakRoom March 17 - 23